YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>OK so today I wnr to the dump an in the gas bottle disposal section was about a douzen 3ltr and 4ltr cylinders. I reconed a set of four ltr would be cool for Trimix deco so I grabed a Twin set of 4ltr bottles with presure gauge harness and backplate.

Get it home and find the twin 4ltrs have 200bar in each and its air and breathable and my din regs fit the tanks

MAJOR RESULT

OK so presure gauge is on a braded ss hose and I strip it down and find that there are no O rings and it hasd tapor metal to metal joints.  

So my free presure gauge is prooving a bit elusive

So does any one know of I can get a HP hose to fit or an adaptor???

I cant see any reasion why I cant use the tanks in the water but perhaps you lads know better.

Answers on a post card to (no forget that)

Just post any info to me

THANKS

Mark Chase

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Mark

You could always try them out in Larkfield lake next sunday, if things go wrong it will give my trainee sport divers a rescue senario to work through.

Don't go in too early i need to teach them the lessons first.

Regards

Paul

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>OK no let me see

I have the option of diving the Thistlegorm or or a muddy puddle in England?
?
?
?

Sorry M8 I am in Egypt with Andy from YD and I shall be staying there till they kick me out on the 30th March kicking and screeming.:D

Mark Chase

Now where did I put that 3mm wet suit??  

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

Reads like you've picked up ex BA sets (fire use, not neccessarily fire dept. use). One end tapered fit hoses and/or gauges readily available (SMP, Divex, Aquatron, Sabre, etc.) but question of why dumped arises. You say "air", you say "breathable", OK I would have to presume that you've checked that. ?overheated in fire? ?used to limit in training smoke rooms? If I ran your compressor I would be happier with a new test.

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Thanks phill

Yes they are tapor fit ends.

The people you mention have you got a contact number for any of them please??

I tested them in so far as I tested the presure with my presure gauge and they were all full to 200bar and I did an Analox test and it read 21%. Then I stuck the reg in my gob in the comfort of my garage and took a couple of deep breaths.

So after that detailed scientific analisis and seeing as I am still alive I reckon there full of air.

They are out of test and I will have to get a full check done but I just wanted to know if they were suitable for diving with. I cant see why not apart from salt water coroson on the spindle. The on off knob is a square thing not the normal valve knob and the Din fitting is a streight T shape with knob on one side and Din fitting oposit. Last time I saw one like it was on a Air rifel filling tank.

Be great if they can be used 4ltr is a handy size

Mark Chase

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Some SOS tapered cylinder valves suitable for yoke regulators are available but it can be quite rare to find them in stock. I found the cost of paying the LDS for testing and changing the valve and adding a boot for some free good condition 208 bar, 8 litre fire-man cylinders worked out more expensive than buying a 2nd hand Faber cylinders.

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>No my 235bar din regs fit the val;ves a treat, dont leak and breath fine. The Valves are not a problem I was just wondering if I could make use of the presure gauge but thats no big deal.

I just wondered how the on off knob would cope in the sea?
Once I have figured out how to use the camera I just got I will take a pic and post it.

Mark Chase

1 - 7 of 7 Posts