YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wreck hunter @ Dec. 29 2003,21:46)]Dont rush .!!But seriously im looking for two good condition re breathers (preferably inspiration)
FFS - I can't even afford one!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Dec. 30 2003,14:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wreck hunter @ Dec. 29 2003,21:46)]Dont rush .!!But seriously im looking for two good condition re breathers (preferably inspiration)
FFS - I can't even afford one!!!
there not BOTH for me which brings me to my other prob they have to be the same ie one for mw and one for my buddy . Plus i think there are some serious handicaps with semi closed re breathers when compared with CCR right??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Dec. 30 2003,21:49)]Bugger that. Anyone for tiddlywinks?
Very sorry to have wasted your precious time ! I just thought that this the scope of this site was to learn from each other. Well that was just what i was trying to do sorry wont happen again !!!

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Worry ye not - all comments so far are for humourous purposes (except Rob-ybod where it is an attempt at humour  
). There is long standing history of some pretty lively debates on the pros and cons of this subject - esp on Divernet hence the hesitance of getting involved. Also, don't be so touchy, the reply was to Dominic - if you get irritated by this maybe you are the "flamey" sort of person that kicks off the forum fights.

One thing I am pretty sure of is that you shouldn't be able to buy an Inspiration w/out being qualified first which would mean committing up to £500 each for you and your mate for the quals + maybe doing it abroad or in a pond somewhere to ensure you get the required dives done (abt a one week course(?). I ASSUME (?) the training requirement to be the case on all rebreathers due to the increased risk of killing yourself if you don't know how to dive with them correctly.

As to SC or CCR I can't offer any subjective comment - all I can say is that I WANT AN INSPIRATION or the new EVOLUTION. With the amount of bleating I do on the subject I am hoping AP Thingy will take pitty on me and do a "Jim'll Fix It For Me".

There hasn't been a good arguement er, sorry, I mean debate on the subject (that I have seen) for ages so maybe you will get lucky this time. Otherwise have a troll through the archives here or on Divernet where you should find some info.

As a New Year resolution for yourself try not to use the Angry Smilie too often as it actually leads to premature wrinkles and creasing of the face - a little known fact!

I myself shall be raising a glass tonight (NYE) and toasting a, hopefully, less bubbly future for myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

Ok Ok point taken . I guess i dont have your British sense of humour ! By the way is a re breather course THAT CHEAP in the uk ??

And Dont worry i have no intention of using any thing before im fully trained in its use. But i need to know what i am to train for dont you think so

Happy new year to you all

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By the way is a re breather course THAT CHEAP in the uk ??
As I underststand it that is about the going rate for a course on the Inspiration - obviously you need to add on gas (b/all), travelling, accomodation etc + there may be a requirement for minimum numbers. I know from the enquiries I made that coming over to Malta to do the course was an option discussed with a potential instructor - as you may know it is too hot and the sea is too calm in the UK to ensure getting the course done in one hit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And Dont worry i have no intention of using any thing before im fully trained in its use.
I'm not worried - it's your life after all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But i need to know what i am to train for dont you think so
Yes. It is unfortunate that non Inspiration users are not allowed to use their forum. I understand the reasons why but it might provide useful info to those who seek it. Try the below link to an Inspiration users personal web site which I think is v/good. I am sure you will find answers/may ask questions about the Inspiration. Diver Mole

Happy New Year to you to.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Hi Wreck Hunter, there wasn't any offense intended - honest

Just out of interest,
A - Whereabouts are you?
B - Have you looked at APD's site?
C - What sort of diving are you doing & does it justify the cost of going CCR?

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Dec. 31 2003,17:20)]Hi Wreck Hunter, there wasn't any offense intended - honest
O yes there was!

It's still panto season  

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hay howard is it true that you ware that out fit because it'll save you time getting changed on your last dive with a YBOD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Dec. 31 2003,17:20)]Hi Wreck Hunter, there wasn't any offense intended - honest

Just out of interest,
A - Whereabouts are you?
B - Have you looked at APD's site?
C - What sort of diving are you doing & does it justify the cost of going CCR?

Im from Malta by the way . Ive been diving snic 1986 but only recently have i got interested in technical diving . Just completed my TDI OC trimix course this summer. Basically its the due to one wreck which i have been diving on for the past 4 to 5 years which got me interested in this sort of diving . Its a huge WW1 wreck lying in 64 mtrs full of stuff and full of danager too with powerful currents all year around. Have so far always dived it on air but now plan to dive it on trimix . Also i am discovering that there is a whole list of wrecks just waitng to be dicovered WW1 and WW2 around our waters in the 70 to 120 meter range so the hunt is on !!
After all these years of diving i find it has given me a new challenge and its very exiting . But usually for 99 % of dives carried out during the year air is enough. Although most of our dives in summer are 45+ and in winter they tend to get shallower due to the cold ( anyway its cold for us !!)

No i havw'nt looked at the APD site what is it about? can you give it to me ?

Cheers

Simon

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Have a look at Ambient Pressure Diving - it'll give you a list of Insp instructors worldwide.  Strand Diving in your neck of the woods does Insp training, but putting my controversial hat on you'd be better off with a UK based instructor - Dave Thompson, Gary Fox & Rich Stevenson are all very good & if you can get enough numbers they'll come to you.
It's a bugger getting hold of s/hand YBODs at the moment cos everybody seems to be after them, I suspect it'll become easier in the coming months as lots of rich bastards trade their YBODs in for Evolutions.
If you want I can stick a post on the much-vaunted Inspiration list ( the best place to look for s/hand units).  BTW the only reason it's closed is to keep muppets like GI3 and Finless cluttering up the place

Have a chat with Pierre Farrugia- I've passed a fair bit of info to him and he's a Malta diver too, into the same sort of dives as you are by the looks of things.  Madmole's website is very good too.
Dunno why I'm talking to you really.  Just done a 40m dive in 10deg water, very dark, 5m vis at best and you're swanning about in the Med with warm water and bulk vis on wrecks that hardly anybody's ever touched.  Bastard.  (British Humour)

I didn't know you had strong tides in the Med - it stands to reason you'd get tides over there cos it's a big enough sea, but when I've been mucking about in Menorca & Cyprus I've always been led to believe it's pretty much non-tidal.  Can you tell me more?  Malta does look very very appealing for deep wrecks.

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Jan. 04 2004,01:04)]Just done a 40m dive in 10deg water, very dark, 5m vis at best .........
5 mtrs
?

You should either :-

1. Clean your mask.
2. Clean your c/lenses.
3. Charge the batteries on your dive light.
4. MOST PROBABLE - stop bouncing along the sea floor, it helps maintain the vis.  
 I gave that a 10 mtr viz rating.

Call me a muppet .... mumble mutter .....  

·
Registered
18 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>hi
do any one of you have an idea about the price of rebrethers course in uk.
becuse here in malta it is expe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts