YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Canon 450D has a case of sensor dust measles again to the point there are obvious blobs even at F/8 that need to be cloned out.

All ive got access to here is a lens pen (2 sided bristle brish on one side and a much more solid looking sensor brush on the other) and one of the squeezy rocket air blower things.

First i tried the blower. This did the grand total of absolutely nothing.
Next i used the sensor brush. This made it worse - some of the blobs have moved, some (most) haven't budged and a few seem to have smeared into smaller streaks than before.

What's the right technique for cleaning this thing? Some seem pretty much welded on. Simply rubbing with the brush seems to do nothing.
Can i use something like the Jessops lens cleaner fluid (or glasses cleaner) to try to shift them or am i likely to bugger something up doing that?

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Similar thing yes, bought in the UK specifically for cleaning sensors and lenses. (or more accurately the glass in front of the sensor).
I basically have 2 choices - use this or have photos effectively useless with dust.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I used swabs in the past on both my S2 and D200 and haven't had an issue. Looking at some of my images, I think I need to give the D200 a clean.

Regards

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cant really justify an expensive multi day round trip of 800 miles to get a camera cleaned and chances of getting anything delivered here and actually making it are pretty much non-existent.

Would a cotton bud be a bad idea?

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts

·
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
1,751 Posts
Cant really justify an expensive multi day round trip of 800 miles to get a camera cleaned and chances of getting anything delivered here and actually making it are pretty much non-existent.

Would a cotton bud be a bad idea?
Is there anything closer? At the FocusOn camera show at the NEC there were stands cleaning sensors - the blokes doing it seemed to be quite forceful in their actions, but then they know what they're doing.
Rob

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All of Canon in Egypt seem to be in Cairo. It would likely cost more than the camera is worth to go there and back with accommodation costs etc.
Its 2 very stubborn bits of dust now.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
It's always easier to clean the sensor of some else's camera with a swab and fluid. My latest camera is programmed to clean the sensor each time it is turned on but I ended up sending one D200 back to Nikon for them to do it.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
String,

Why not ask if anyone is coming out to Dahab and do some international YD post for swab cleaning products? ;)

Regards

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
Have Sigma got a patent on this? I rather doubt it and I therefore fail to see why others don't use this method.

My SD14 (and pretty well all the other Sigma SD cameras) has a thin sheet of lens quality glass across the front of the lens port to protect the innards from just this problem - it works superbly and, furthermore, even if you get spots on that glass it's slap bang in the non-focus area so most unlikely to show up in your image, unless it's a blob of Rorschach sized proportions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts