YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a cheap adapter that converts a female serial cable to a USB or male serial cable?

did a google but the pictures didnt look like what i want, and some funny RS292? or something like that.

want to connect my old serial suunto cable to my laptop

thanks in advance

·
"Look mate, the problem's between the user and the
2,711 Posts
have you tried PC World, Maplin or RS components?

I got a usb to serial converter from PC world... it works really well.....

Cheers
Neil

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
is there a cheap adapter that converts a female serial cable to a USB or male serial cable?

want to connect my old serial suunto cable to my laptop
I bought an adaptor from eBay to do just that. It didn't work though and ended up buying a Custom Ideas cable instead. I think others have had the same problem.

So, I have one I can sell you, it won't work with a Suunto cable, but I can sell you it anyway :)

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Most of them won't work if you don't use a powered USB port. You should be O K from a laptop, but on a desktop use a rear USB port rather than a front one.

YMMV.

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts

·
Diving is mostly wet but sooooo much fun
351 Posts
a company called R S Componets do jusy the kit your are looking for they are on line and the one i bought for my stinger works great
hope this helps

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts
Suunto Stinger USB Serial Converter Cable

I just bought a USB Serial Convertor from Maplin. Cost 19.99 pounds. Now back in Egypt and trying to connect my Suunto Stinger to my laptop but it's not working. In Suunto Dive Manager it can't find anything. I have tried Device Manager and that is OK. When I plug the converter into any of the USB ports the computer bing bongs but it doesn't say new hardware found or shows up as connected on My Computer.

Have I bought the wrong cable? It was hard work finding a cable in the UK. PC World and Currys didn't have a clue so I guess it will be impossible her in Egypt!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Sorry Georgina

But it does appear that some of them just don't work for the Suuntos.

I would return it, hope to get a refund, then buy a Custom Ideas USB cable. You can get one from niknaks.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Sorry mate, your wasting your time.

I tried this too a couple of years ago and got the same problems mentioned above, just buy the correct cable or a copy of one, the convertors don't work on the SUUNTO. :embarassed:

James

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Sorry, I'm another that can not help. A year ago O tried the same I was so angry after a whole weekend of trying I was so closer in throwing the laptop out of the window. In the end I brought a laptop with a serial port - andf that is not easy to get nowdays.

Maybe the custom divers is the best option.

There is however a 'post' here on YD with instructions on this that has helped someone, it's probaly or year or two old - I havn't found it yet.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Have I bought the wrong cable? It was hard work finding a cable in the UK. PC World and Currys didn't have a clue so I guess it will be impossible her in Egypt!
Hi Georgina
You need to install the driver software before the cable will work. There should be a CD with the cable. Have a look on it for a file called setup.exe.

Also, in Device Manager check that the cable has not installed itself as Unknown Device.

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
I have a PCMCIA to serial adapter which works pretty well so far. It does all of the plc stuff I use for work , the VR£ cable and the old Uwetec memo mouse, will probably work with what you need.

Good luck
MM

·
Life is rushing past!
1,206 Posts
I have a PCMCIA to serial adapter which works pretty well so far. It does all of the plc stuff I use for work , the VR£ cable and the old Uwetec memo mouse, will probably work with what you need.

Good luck
MM
Seconded, I bought one of these for my Memo mouse, I now use infrared to tranfer the dives, I think I may still have it lying round, I'll have to look for it If anybody is interested in it.

·
1,430 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. I did install the CD with the adaptor and device manager recognises it correctly. Guess its just not going to work and I have no plans to go back to the UK to take it back!

·
1,430 Posts
It Does Work!!

Well I went to the internet cafe today to use their desk top computer to see if I could download my Suunto Stinger and then copy the files to then put on my laptop that way. I was unable to transfer and realised I hadn't opened a new log book file for the dives to go into. I saved my dives to a disc. When I got home I thought I would try again with the USB converter and this time remember to open a new log book file. The test still failed when I connected the cable but this time my dives transferred!!!

I'm a happy bunny (although a stupid one) :teeth:

So the Maplin 19.99 USB Serial Converter works with a Suunto Stinger.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had exactly the same problem as you but now I can download fine. I got the help (driver) from Scuby via a thread in the computer/timers forum on the 18/2/06. I don't know how to put a link to it here as I know less than Jack about PC's , which was the problem in the first place. But it might be worth while looking up that thread and downloading that driver.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I had the same problem. My adapter, that I had used for a long time and it did work fine, stopped working. I rebooted and then the test failed - it did not find the interface. However, it did download my dives!

I may work for IBM and fix computers but I know nothing about windoze.......

Neil

1 - 20 of 24 Posts