YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anybody generally services their regulators themselves? I have always sent mine away to be done to be on the safe side (don't worry, I won't be getting out my toolbox and trying!) but I am curious as to what you would need to do them yourself. Is there a course that qualifies you, do you need special equipment etc? I realise that the answer will vary depending on the manufacturer but I would be interested in general comments.

Cheers,

Lee

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Lee there are a number of people on here that do their own servicing.

You can download manuals for many of the main regulators from the net, but the more difficult bit for a 'normal' person is getting the service kits. It is doable, but more difficult.

The manufacturers run courses, but you can only go on one if you work for an LDS or similar as they try and keep that work to them and out of so called amature hands.

Though I am decent enough with my hands, I have a guy near me that doesn't charge the earth and I trust to do a decent job, so for me - why bother. But I realise that this is not the case with everyone, and of course some people on here are probably more competent than the alleged 'professionals'.

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
I think it all depends on your own level of competence with things mechanical.

If you're good at that sort of thing, then go to these places:
SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow
Peter Built Co.

Find a source of parts and don't skimp on the tools you use.

If you're not confident of your competence, DON'T DO IT.

It's not rocket science, but getting it wrong can kill you.

Regards,

Mark

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Getting the parts is a PITA in the UK. Other than that you don't need any special tools or anything. The airspeed book is a very good buy (even if as a reference only) and if you're interested in what the shop do and how to see if they get it right do buy a copy (US Dollar is very low right now).

Like Paul, I'm lucky my LDS is good and so why bother? Just got back a SP MkV 1st stage from them and the bill? A staggering €32 :D

Chris

·
Mod 2.5 apparently
703 Posts
MY LDS on the other hand is a complete shark, so i've bought the book, down loaded the manuals and just re-set the IP on my mares (which i was told need a full service plus kit £60) the books and ip gauge cost that so the next reg is free !!
Its not that hard to be honest and i do check it in the pool before going any deeper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts