YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Some of you here actually know Dave Covey (former British Army and now living and working out at a chamber out in Thailand). Here's his view from an area 'close to the front'.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Several People have expressed concern ref SARS. To put their minds at rest I offer the following:

a) There have been 150 deaths worldwide to date (15/04).

b) There are around 40,000 cases worldwide.

c) I'm unsure of exact figures for Thailand but I think its 1 x fatality (& he arrived from China).

When Bali was Bombed we suffered a "knee jerk" reaction when foreign governments imposed a blanket ban on travel in SE Asia. I hope this allays the fears of anyone thinking of cancelling their trip.

BTW-April 13th saw the start of "Songkan", a 5 day festival for Thai new year. After reading the attached link you'll perhaps agree SARS isn't so bad after all!!"

Dave Covey, Koh Samui, Thailand www.divesamui.org
Related link: Songkran
http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16Apr2003_news08.html

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Bren

I have been a bit slow noticing this post. i will have a word with The Cove and get him to join YD. His Chamber experience and Thai knowledge will i think be a welcome addition to the fora.

I would appologise in advance for any slagging matches we get into, he has lead me close to a DCM on a few occasions, mainly related to women, beer and OOB areas in NI. O misspent youth.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ April 27 2003,22:40)]I would appologise in advance for any slagging matches we get into, he has lead me close to a DCM on a few occasions,
<font color='#0000FF'>DCM ??  
 Que?

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steve

Sorry damned abreviations - District Court Martial. Your only on one if your guilty.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>One might acuse Dave Covey of not exactly having an unbiased view but I agree there is not need to panic. SARS in not yet proving to be a pandemic but it has caused widespread panic in China, Hong Kong and Toronto and I, for one would not voluntarily travel there.

In a press release, the BMA's Head of Science and Ethics, Dr Vivienne Nathanson said on 24/4/03:

"It is extremely important that the public does not panic over SARS. The Department of Health, Health Protection Agency and the World Health Organisation (WHO) are taking all appropriate steps to tackle SARS.

We all have a role to play in reducing the chances of further spread of SARS. If someone has returned from one of the infected areas and has flu-like symptoms it is vital that they go to their GP as soon as possible.

We urge people to stick to WHO advice and not travel to China, Hong Kong or Toronto. These are sensible measures to follow but obviously if travel to these countries is absolutely essential it is up to the individual to weigh up the risks.

There is no reason to close the UK's borders. This is not practical as it would have to extend to all countries which have had cases, including the USA. Such a move would also stop all commerce, imports and exports like food and this would be a gross over-reaction to the threat."

I like the way they dump everything on us GPs! (Perhaps they are trying to get rid of us. Goodness knows what I would do apart from giving the usual 'flu advice while I cross my fingers!).

There is no cure for such viruses and they are highly contageous and are spread by droplet infection and by travel, so it is far too early to say, with any certainty, that this is not going to be like the 1919 'flu pandemic, which killed more people than WW1.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Thomas @ May 02 2003,20:20)]There is no cure for such viruses and they are highly contageous and are spread by droplet infection and by travel, so it is far too early to say, with any certainty, that this is not going to be like the 1919 'flu pandemic, which killed more people than WW1.
<font color='#0000FF'>21 million people killed worldwide in eight months between 1918 & 1919, I believe.

The current evidence is that SARS is caused by a coronavirus, the family of viruses which causes the common cold (and we know how easily that spreads).

However, it is a new variant (said to be a possible hybrid between a  coronavirus and an influenza orthomyxovirus)
which may (according to some sources) end up as a completely new virus family, so it is too early to know how this will pan out.

I certainly won't be travelling to the far east anytime soon
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

That government sponsored statement looks awfu like the ones put out for Chernobyl, and foot and mouth.
Mind you I suppose the sheep in the borders that are still unfit for human consumption due to radiation from Chernobyl mostly missed the foot and mouth, uneccessary, slaughter.  

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phill @ May 04 2003,06:43)]That government sponsored statement looks awfu like the ones put out for Chernobyl, and foot and mouth.
Mind you I suppose the sheep in the borders that are still unfit for human consumption due to radiation from Chernobyl mostly missed the foot and mouth, uneccessary, slaughter.  
I live in Guelph, about 1 hour away from Toronto. The actual concentration of Sars here is inside Grace Hospital in Scarboro and other hospitals in Markham. This is on the East and North East end of the Greater Toronto area.

One main set back was when a Sars patient died and his family invited a lot of other relatives for his funeral. Most of the immediate family was already contaminated and during the service some additional 80 patients cot infected too. Because of this most churches are not allowing contact during mass.  

Most patients are of Chinese origin and there is also a large number of hospital staff that is affected. All in all there was no new reports in Ontario in the last 14 days. That means people are either getting better or passing away. The last fatality hit the Health Canada quite hard because he was only 39.  
That proves that not only the weak can die.

The main danger is if infected people sneeze on others or cough. Temperature is the main factor followed by severe cough and shortness of breath.

My personal advice is not to panic but be cautious and avoid large crowds if you could.

Take care

Lawrence

1 - 8 of 8 Posts