YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the heck do you get something for nothing in this country :( others seem to manage.

I have just picked up a prescription from the Docs and took my Job Seekers Allowance card with me (signed on for the first time last week - to earn a grand total of £59 a week :() and thought I was going to get a free prescription but I have the wrong one. I opted for contribution based JSA instead of Income based - so still paid.

I could have used the £6.85 towards a new reg :D

·
South African - and proud of it!
180 Posts
The wrong type isn't the problem, it's coz you're British and have paid tax for years and generally contributed to the UK. You should have told them you were foreign/had mental health problems/8 children/dodgy relegious beliefs/couldn't speak english, choose any one and hey presto - free everything!

It's not that I'm bitter but the VAT is due next week!

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
How the heck do you get something for nothing in this country :( others seem to manage.

I have just picked up a prescription from the Docs and took my Job Seekers Allowance card with me (signed on for the first time last week - to earn a grand total of £59 a week :() and thought I was going to get a free prescription but I have the wrong one. I opted for contribution based JSA instead of Income based - so still paid.

I could have used the £6.85 towards a new reg :D
It's because you're honest.

Those of us who play the system nicely end up being worse off than those who buck the system and get away with it.

We're only bitter cos we can't do it, because we have something called morality and values :D

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
You have to be on income support for free prescriptions, dental health etc.

To apply for income support you have to fill in a trillion forms of your most private details including your sock size and so does any partner you live with. If you have ever made an effort to take responsibility for yourself, get a mortgage, pay all your tax & NI, save money in some way you can rest assured you won't get anything 'cos it's all going on those who don't bother contributing via hard work and NI contributions and know how to abuse a system designed to help those less fortunate and/or temporarily falling on difficult times.

Obviously some do deserve help and support but they rarely get it 'cos some professional benefit abusers have taken it all

Yes, a particular beef of mine. I shall shut up now :zip:

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Sixsqiud,

you're so yesterday!
Income support is for those that can fill in forms (or delegate someone to do so on their behalf)
Invalidity/incapacity is the one to go for- avoid the hassle of signing on... you know it makes sense :D

·
11,983 Posts
Sixsqiud,

you're so yesterday!
Income support is for those that can fill in forms (or delegate someone to do so on their behalf)
Invalidity/incapacity is the one to go for- avoid the hassle of signing on... you know it makes sense :D
When I was self employed, and on low income, I had to have some major surgery. No work, no pay. I paid all my NI but still had to complete forms as if I was begging and then they wouldn't give me anything because I did get them all filled in and submitted in time. I was about a day late, basically due to the fact that I had something like a week longer than the time I was incapacitated. Apparently I was supposed to be able to get the forms while I was recovering, in pain, could barely move and definitely could not drive.

I guess if you're truly incapacitated it doesn't apply :angry:

Edit : Whoops, I was supposed to shut up :embarassed:

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
I think the more honest/straight you are the worse you get treated.
Insure your car, pay your road tax, do 34mph and pay your fine...
don't bother with tax or insurance plough over a kid in a pushchair, dump the car and nick another one...especially if you're under 18 and pissed...and who needs a driving license anyway...

·
11,983 Posts
I think the more honest/straight you are the worse you get treated.
Insure your car, pay your road tax, do 34mph and pay your fine...
don't bother with tax or insurance plough over a kid in a pushchair, dump the car and nick another one...especially if you're under 18 and pissed...and who needs a driving license anyway...
Yup. I think you're right :frown:

Be rude, inconsiderate and aggressive, get what you want. Be polite, patient and courteous, get ignored {sigh}

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Yup. I think you're right :frown:

Be rude, inconsiderate and aggressive, get what you want. Be polite, patient and courteous, get ignored {sigh}
Perhaps you should take some lessons from this bloke then:

If you can dribble fluent sh!t like this (bearded twat in dress), you'll get public housing and no doubt all the benefits you'll ever need.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Sorry to hear this Fiona.

It boils my blood on a daily basis that the country is going down the toilet and those like yourself who have worked hard all your life and fallen on hard times get a raw deal compared to those who have never worked and don't want to. They sponge off the rest of us instead and do what the hell they like and the police are powerless to tackle it.

There is a political solution, but unfortunately we have gone so far down the road of PC and human rights that it would be political suicide to take it. For the next few Minuit's just think of the sweeping changes you could introduce if you had the power and it will bring a smile to your face, - at least for a short time. :embarassed:

James

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Perhaps you should take some lessons from this bloke then:

If you can dribble fluent sh!t like this (bearded twat in dress), you'll get public housing and no doubt all the benefits you'll ever need.
Senior member of Egyptian Islamic Jihad, convicted of terroist offrences in his absence and granted leave to remain whilst he appeals for asylum which has already been refused several times!!

WTF!! Why has he not been sent back to Egypt? I'd have thought that with all Tony B;liars free holidays with president Nabarak we could trust the Egyptians to play fair with their own terrorists :teeth:

Beyond belief

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

It boils my blood on a daily basis that the country is going down the toilet and those like yourself who have worked hard all your life and fallen on hard times get a raw deal compared to those who have never worked and don't want to. They sponge off the rest of us instead and do what the hell they like and the police are powerless to tackle it.

There is a political solution, but unfortunately we have gone so far down the road of PC and human rights that it would be political suicide to take it. For the next few Minuit's just think of the sweeping changes you could introduce if you had the power and it will bring a smile to your face, - at least for a short time. :embarassed:

James
You and me both! My old mum had a really serios brain heamorhage (SP?) almost dies. Had half her head removed and replaced by a steel plate after the bone flap became infected. She initially got Disability living allowance as she gets so confused she can barely go to the shop across the street alone. Unfortunately for her she insists on living alone. The DLA was stopped and we had to reapply, refused and appealed, refused again.

We have to visit every day to make sure she is ok, if one of us had been prepared to lie and say we lived there then she would get DLA, we would get attendance allowance etc.

As we were honest we get zip :angry:

·
One Team One Dream
3,388 Posts
Fiona,
I simpathise with you afetr working for 21 yrs i was made redundant due to the firm going bust i had a family to feed and home and got a grand total of £24.50
Then the bastards sent me a letter asking me for 52p as they had made a clerical error and over payed me.

As some of the others have said sorry wrong ethnic backround

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts

James
What the f**k do you expect the police to do?? Round up the unemployed and those that get free prescriptions and other benefits?

Falling on hard times is when you are struggling to put food in your mouth and shoes on your feet not when you have to pay for a prescription!

There has always been piss takers and idle bastards in this country but lets blame it on immigrants now easier targets to spot. Instead of blaming it on goverment and social reforms.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Whilst I agree the system sucks, this is the lazy answer for the hard of thinking. Bring back Enoch Powell, eh? Always easier to blame it on someone else. Some Austrian chap wrote a book about this.

In all seriousness this has nothing to do with ethnicity, but it down to the complex layers of varying benefits. Those who know how the system works and play it will apply for all sorts of benefits and get a decent amount. Those who don't, (ie those who have worked for a living, mainly) won't, and hence get sod all.

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
Sorry you didn't get what you felt you deserved.

To the BNP-leaning posters who replied (don't pull the usual crap you come out with - you know, the "some of my best mates..." shite.):

Oh really? Show me proof that there is favour towards ethnic minorities when grants are handed out. Go on, but it had better come from verifiable sources and not electioneering pamphlets.

This is the same sort of shit as the old “councils are banning Christmas” crap that gets trotted out in the Mail on an annual basis. Guess what - whenever anybody researches the stories they turn out to be false.

The BNP had some election success a while back. Their election material consisted of downright lies, with advertisements that had "appeared" in papers inviting people to come and sponge. Surprise-surprise, the ads had never been printed and the Essex-based company they purported to come from didn't exist. They exaggerated the number of asylum seekers in council accommodation by a huge percentage – IIRC the council (Barking and Dagenham) had a grand total of two families in its accommodation. Hardly overrun.

For what it’s worth, the BNP councillors, whose propaganda you seem to have absorbed, have a colourful record in office. They propose motions and then forget to turn up and vote on them. They have members who turn out to be illegally sub-letting their council houses. They have members who have had to be taken to court over unpaid council house rent and council tax. In short, they’re a useless bunch of incompetents who rely on chip-shouldered voters who resent everybody who isn’t like them, and thus suspend their critical faculties. It’s just so much easier to blame foreigners for everything that’s wrong.

My rant is nearly over. Just a few more things: think about the actual costs of the PFI, the high level of tax avoidance at corporate level. Ask yourselves why Russian oligarchs choose to live here. Ask yourselves why posters appear warning poor people that they’re being watched for benefit fraud, yet no posters appear in city tube stations threatening rich people that they’re being watched.

That’s me done. I usually can’t be arsed, but every now and then I get wound up enough to reply.

Oh, sorry, one more thing. You remember, there was a post a short while ago about how failed asylum seekers should be deported the instant their application has failed. Interesting how a man who fitted that profile has now had his deportation cancelled. He’d been putting his life in danger in Iraq by acting as an interpreter for our forces, yet our government gave him no credit for it, disregarding evidence of death and threats to Iraqi interpreters until the press got involved.

Have a nice day now, y’all.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Alan
I dont know how old you mum is but DLA stops at the age of 65 and then people that meet the criteria are entitled to apply for Attendance allowance which has both a care and mobility component to it. Attendance allowance also has differing levels depending on need. High Medium and low and benefits are paid accordingly. People can get either both or one of these components depending on needs assessment.
The form is a nightmare to complete and I suggest you contact the welfare benefits officer from local CAB office to assist in completing form.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
What amuses me is that immediately people voice a negative opinion on anything race or asylum related they get accused of being bnp supporters, surely you can come up with something more original.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.