YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
You think I know nothing....and I do!!
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken three body blows over the past few days, my telephone conversation with Alex Deas, an email from OSEL indicating that once the outstanding components for the iCCR are sourced and built another testing programme will be undertaken (and we all know what that could mean) and finally the Newsletter/Rant.

I cant corroberate this with anything specific, but my spider senses are tingling and telling me that the iCCR aint comeing this dive season.

So.....do I wait the impossible wait, or do I go down OSEL's offered route of an 02 unit now , and conversion to a full blown iCCr as and when it becomes available?

Like a moron I sold my Sport Kiss with predator monitoring after Ce was attained on the niave assumption the iCCr would be with me in a cooupla months...in time for UK dive season to open. What a total C**t I was there.....ah well....ho hum.

Anyway:

I was a bit shocked to find this:

Shearwater 1386.72
Pod holder 330.30
Fischer 168.00
4 off cells 256.00

Total £2141.02

To rig this unit to fly useing off the shelf parts and a Predator I am looking at a £2141.02 spend......ouch, that hurts!!!

If I were to pay current prices that would mean the unit including purchase price would be £5358.51 on the road.....ouch, that really hurts.

So, I wonder, would any of the hundreds of EA 02 recipients to date care to share what solutions they are/intend to use to take this unit below knee height in the water?

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Ian,
AFAIK Fischer cable is only required if you want to add a second computer. Standard pod comes with a cable that has a fischer to connect to the first computer.
You've got so far down the road that you may as well hold on for the ICCR to be delivered.

My intended PPO2 monitoring solution at the moment is a Predator hardwired to [email protected] pod with a rEvodream as a secondary/hud.

Simon A

·
Diver
337 Posts
I am planning to use my predator with an [email protected] pod when it is ready.

A pair of rEvodreams would be an option, but would come in around 800 euros, or you coudl get a pair 2nd Hand. I like my HUD on my Kiss, so would be thinking carefully about that option. But you're right, it's all £££££s.

I originally ordered them seperate, then the orders were merged, but early on they agreed to split them, and now I have an O2 unit sat on my rug at home, but too busy to play with it right now. The O2 unit was very cheap at the early price mind.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
id get your self a cheap ybod , wack in a 4th cell and get one of them old vr3 for a song ,,, go diving ,, and hang on to your dream of one day having the pox ,, stick with it kid ,, dont let the twats get you down ,,, thats my job :teeth:

ps maybe get one of them underwater mp3 things ,, and record .. this on it ,, moley you numnuts look at your ppo2 ,, then put the mp3 on loop . hay ho
a talking ccr ,,

also you wont need to find a buddy as he will have fook all the look at ,, baring your large lard arse ,,:angel:

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
I'm using a ANSTI machine at present but it's not monitoring the PPO2.

On a serious note I'm with Gobbers. Get diving and you can sell the unit and the VR3 when it arrives. If you buy the pod and Predator then you will loose money when you part with it.

The other option is get the vr3 or a similar used computer with monitoring and make a pod yourself.

One last option is get yourself back on OC, I hear it's the latest thing in them Florida caves ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anyway:

I was a bit shocked to find this:

Shearwater 1386.72
Pod holder 330.30
Fischer 168.00
4 off cells 256.00

Total £2141.02

To rig this unit to fly useing off the shelf parts and a Predator I am looking at a £2141.02 spend......ouch, that hurts!!!

If I were to pay current prices that would mean the unit including purchase price would be £5358.51 on the road.....ouch, that really hurts.

So, I wonder, would any of the hundreds of EA 02 recipients to date care to share what solutions they are/intend to use to take this unit below knee height in the water?
Ian,

Things are not always as bleak as they may seem.

If you want a radical solution, I have an Optima head with two handsets (Delrin, Trimix unlocked) which I will not be using before I upgrade one handset to the RevD single handset Optima solution.

If it would help, and KevinJ or [email protected] can fit a Hammerhead handset to their Pod, then you are welcome to my secondary handset at nil cost (would give 3 cell monitoring plus a HUD!).

Not sure if this would be a more expensive solution but KevenJ might like to be able to say there was a Hammerhead APOC floating around so cut a reasonable deal for you.

Let me know if interested.

If this solution works, there could be some other Optima's reborn as APOCs for divers wanting BMCL without buying a rEVO (which has been the traditional path to date).:)

Regards,
Tony

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
id get your self a cheap ybod , wack in a 4th cell and get one of them old vr3 for a song ,,, go diving ,,
Thanks gobbers you just broke my irony meter. It exploded and I could hear a little giggle as it went.

I'd go with option moley, least you'll be diving. Which is the most important thing.

·
You think I know nothing....and I do!!
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ian,

Things are not always as bleak as they may seem.

If you want a radical solution, I have an Optima head with two handsets (Delrin, Trimix unlocked) which I will not be using before I upgrade one handset to the RevD single handset Optima solution.

If it would help, and KevinJ or [email protected] can fit a Hammerhead handset to their Pod, then you are welcome to my secondary handset at nil cost (would give 3 cell monitoring plus a HUD!).

Not sure if this would be a more expensive solution but KevenJ might like to be able to say there was a Hammerhead APOC floating around so cut a reasonable deal for you.

Let me know if interested.

If this solution works, there could be some other Optima's reborn as APOCs for divers wanting BMCL without buying a rEVO (which has been the traditional path to date).:)

Regards,
Tony

Thanks Tony......Mmmmmm, a 'Hammer Pox'...now that sounds good!!

Pm Sent

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Can u get aftermarket cell holders? If so then plumb a cheap monitor in. I'm sure tecme could adapt one to a triple KISS display which are piss cheap.

Have a look at Gorilla Diving's monitors. They're very cheap and Mark was one of the pioneers of KISS style monitoring systems.

Or just cancel the order completely and get a proper unit. I dont know why anyone would want to prop up someone with so little regard for his own customers.

Reactions: ridge and yanosh59

·
Registered
130 Posts
Apoc of Money

Ian,
AFAIK Fischer cable is only required if you want to add a second computer. Standard pod comes with a cable that has a fischer to connect to the first computer.
You've got so far down the road that you may as well hold on for the ICCR to be delivered.

My intended PPO2 monitoring solution at the moment is a Predator hardwired to [email protected] pod with a rEvodream as a secondary/hud.

Simon A

What would you estimate the purchase cost of that config Simon?

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
What would you estimate the purchase cost of that config Simon?
At current prices:-
The budget is:-
Predator £1386.72
Pod + 300m Connector £414.30
rEvodream NG (secondhand)£300
300m connector on rEvodream+ additional parts to fit from [email protected] £TBC (AFAIK it appears I'll need to replace the rEvodream cable and posibly modify the circuit board, neither [email protected] or rEvo can do this or support this due to liability reasons so it's a fairly hardcore mod to the rEvodream)

I've known John at [email protected] for ages and he makes really good kit.
I already had the rEvodream so that's what works for me. otherwise I would have got the Shearwater HUD.
Hardwired predator doesn't affect the price significantly, but I prefer hardwired.

AFAIK. The Predator is available as a cell monitor only (POA as it's a special order) which costs less, and can be upgraded by purchasing the PIN in the future.

Simon A

·
Registered
200 Posts
At current prices:-
The budget is:-
Predator £1386.72
Pod + 30m Connector £414.30
rEvodream NG (secondhand)£300
300m connector on rEvodream+ additional parts from [email protected] £TBC

I've known John at [email protected] for ages and he makes really good kit.
I already had the rEvodream so that's what works for me. otherwise I would have got the Shearwater HUD.
AFAIK. The Predator is available as a cell monitor only (POA as it's a special order) which costs less.

Simon A
?? 300m connector on rEvodream

don't know what you need it for, as a standard rEvodream is 500m proof

paul

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Paul,
The 300m connector is on the pod end of the wire, instead of hardwired via PG7. The revodream is a great bit of kit, but I wanted to be able to swap it out at a later date without having to get the pod un-potted. Unfortunately doing this (quite rightly) puts the rEvodream outside your tested and supported config.

Simon A

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just ordered a monitoring pod from Tecme.
This pod will hold 3 O2 sensors and screws in the OEM O2 pod supplied by Osel. (leaving the clear cover out).
Again a nice piece of kit made by Martin !
As soon as I have it at home, will post a picture.
Price €115 incl 2 pcs of Blue Globe cable glands.

I will connect it to my good old VR3 (1 cell monitoring) and the perfect rEvodream with HUD (2 cell monitoring),
giving me dual redundancy (as om my mCCR Dolphin)

Ivan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Ivan
What angular distance did you choose to separate the two cable glands? Approx. 90 degrees would let you run the HUD cable along the inhale hose, and allow the computer cable to go across your shoulders to your left arm?? The cable to your VR3 (in my case a Predator) what length did you order it?

Any thoughts about how to plan to flush your monitoring pod with pure O2?

John L.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Ivan
What angular distance did you choose to separate the two cable glands? Approx. 90 degrees would let you run the HUD cable along the inhale hose, and allow the computer cable to go across your shoulders to your left arm?? The cable to your VR3 (in my case a Predator) what length did you order it?

Any thoughts about how to plan to flush your monitoring pod with pure O2?

John L.
Hi John,

I will install both cables myself, so don't know at the moment how long both will be.
I asked Martin , both glands 'as close as possible'.
I think I understand yr que about the HUD.. the cable from the HUD comes out from the rEvodream (not from the O2 pod) and thus
follows another route. (from Left arm to inhale hose, to ALVBOV).
As to the flushing, I am just in comms with Martin about that..
I would like a 'counter pod' that would act as a pressure pot.
Unscrew the O2 pod, screw it in the 'pressure pot'.
This pressure pot would have a male inflator connection at one side and a 1/4" NPT male nipple on the other side.
O2 flows from an O2 regulator, through a Swagelock needle valve and connect to the inflator connector.
On the 1/4" NPT nipple, would then be a T-piece with a 0-1 bar atmospheric manometer and a 1/4" ball valve.
The flow rate of O2 is set to +/- 1 l/min.
I have done this calibration like this for years on my mCCR Dolphin without any problems.
Open the ball valve completely, after 10 sec : calibrate VR3 and dreams.
Throttle the outlet with the ball valve : pressurize the pod to 1 bar atmosferic (=2 bar absolute) for ceiling faults of the cells.
I cannot make a picture of the setup, as I don't have it yet.
I will look for the picture with this setup on my Dolphin, will post it when I found it !

Best regards,

Ivan

·
Team HPDW - 10/90 for the Boys
5,435 Posts
I hope The Ginger one is reading this thread and hanging his head in shame.
What a joke, having your early adopters reduced to scratching around for spare parts they can borrow off anyone that will lend them a hand or buying a setup for monitoring that costs more than double the actual unit.
what a joke this man and his company are. Sometimes I think it would be better to have the American justice system as someone would have sued his ass into submission a long time ago.

·
Diving is expensive, live with it!
1,215 Posts
I hope The Ginger one is reading this thread and hanging his head in shame.
What a joke, having your early adopters reduced to scratching around for spare parts they can borrow off anyone that will lend them a hand or buying a setup for monitoring that costs more than double the actual unit.
what a joke this man and his company are. Sometimes I think it would be better to have the American justice system as someone would have sued his ass into submission a long time ago.
Well said. What price all that CE guff now?

The name of Alex Deas will ring through history as an example of how to do so much damage for so little value.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Paul,

you are very right, but what can I do : nothing at all ! our hands are tied...
I felt like a prisoner for 2,5 years and it aint over yet !
I told this before, I would never do this again... at that time a couple of 'naysayers' warned all of us not to go for this
coz the 16 weeks initial delivery date could never been met.
I should have listened to them :-(

cheers,

Ivan

1 - 20 of 117 Posts