1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Shark fisherman defies protesters

The sharks were caught by mackerel bait placed on hooks
A fisherman who caught more than 100 sharks off the Cornish coast has defied conservationists by returning to fish for more of the creatures. Martin Ellis, 49, is selling off another 13 porbeagle sharks at Newlyn Fish Market in west Cornwall.

The sharks, caught in Cornish waters on Tuesday, bring the fisherman's total catch to 128 porbeagles in only nine days.

Ali Hood, conservation officer at The Shark Trust, said catching so many sharks in such a short space of time was potentially "disastrous" for the porbeagle population.

"Targeted shark fishing is very, very short-sighted.

Martin Ellis has caught 128 porbeagles in nine days
"It means we could lose one of the most wonderful types of wildlife in our waters and it messes up the balance of the ecosystem," she said.

But Mr Ellis, from Ruan Minor, said he would return to the same spot on his 40-foot vessel The Prevail later this week to catch more porbeagles.

"Nobody has ever done this before in this country," he said.

"Finding the sharks is very difficult and I am still pioneering something here, although the French have been doing it for years.

Martin Ellis plans to go out and catch more sharks
"There isn't one person in Newlyn who wouldn't be happy for me.

"I have had people shouting 'well done' at me across the harbour because they realise it has finally happened for me this time."

Mr Ellis and one other crew member caught the sharks by attaching mackerel bait along a six-mile long fishing line.

The majority of porbeagles are sold to buyers from France and Spain where the shark meat is popular.

Mr Ellis's last shark catch sold for £2.10 per kilo. The largest shark weighed 60kg.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I hope the conservationists cut his lines, take the bait of his hooks, sabotage his boat, puncture the tyres of the buyers' lorries, do whatever it takes to stop the bastard.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Remember the name and remember the boat...

When his business has gone to the wall due to depleted fish stocks and the like, he might be touting for business for dive charters.

Daz

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Dec. 04 2003,11:25)]"Nobody has ever done this before in this country," he said.

"Finding the sharks is very difficult and I am still pioneering something here, although the French have been doing it for years.
"pioneer"  

oooh you're so clever

FFS

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Would be ironic if his prop(s) "suddenly went missing" one night...

C'mon you YDODers, remember "Not By Strength, By Guile..."

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The most annoying part of last nights interview with this man was that he has made £7000 out of the weeks catch.  Which will encourage other fisherman to do the same.

Fiona

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I am no marine biologist but I would guess that catching 129 porbeagle sharks would have more impact on their viability as a species than catching 129 mackerel. Are they a very prolific shark? Why was he able to catch so many?

To the YD conservationist crusaders I would say don't forget the man in question has done nothing illegal and is just pursuing his livelihood. At least he is line fishing rather than drift or drag netting. Please note I was also shocked at the numbers he caught and it doesn't seem "the proper thing to have done" but I am somewhat taken aback by the vindictiveness of most posts.

I don’t know enough to know if 129 sharks are a large proportion or just a drop in the ocean. Nor do I know the fisherman – maybe he deserves the vilification he is receiving, maybe he is a struggling fisherman who has just received a financial lifeline.

It would seem that conservation and capitalism don’t work well together. Mind you, from what I have learned, it is just humans that are the problem – whatever the system.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am no marine biologist
According to my CV some people would say I am, but you don't need to be a qualified biologist to digest the following info

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
but I would guess that catching 129 porbeagle sharks would have more impact on their viability as a species than catching 129 mackerel.
An understatement! Sharks reproduce very very slowly in comparison to other fish, a porbeagle will bear 2-4 live pups generally between 60 to 75 cm long at birth after a gestation periodd of 8-9 months. Female porbeagles reach sexual maturity at an age of 12 years or older, while the males are mature at age 7. Average natural  lifespan is believed to be around 35 years, litters of pups are currently believed to occur on average every third year

Female Mackerel on the other hand are sexually mature at one year old and annually lay between 200 000 and 500 000 pelargic eggs 1 mm in diameter. Fry 3mm in size hatch at the end of an incubation period which lasts 6 days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To the YD conservationist crusaders I would say don't forget the man in question has done nothing illegal
Many things that are now illegal used to be perfectly legal, such as drinking and driving, just because something is not illegal does not make it morally correct

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I don’t know enough to know if 129 sharks are a large proportion or just a drop in the ocean
No but I'm sure your maths is more than adequate to crunch the numbers I've given above a new born female pup today would need to survive about 12 years before it could even add an extra one to the population so the effect of losing over one hundered animals will be huge

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]maybe he is a struggling fisherman who has just received a financial lifeline
Yes perhaps, and struggling Captains of Industry could get the same financial lifeline if we relaxed laws designed to protect our fragile environment from unmitigated pursuit of Mammon

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] It would seem that conservation and capitalism don’t work well together
Which is arguably the major challenge that our society faces today

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Mind you, from what I have learned, it is just humans that are the problem – whatever the system
Couldn't agree more, and due to our population densities and rapid intercontinental travel, our society has never in it's history been more vulnerable to Nature's answer to problem populations - disease! If the SARS virus had had the same capabilities as the Ebola or other haemorraghic fever viruses the world might be a very different place.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Further to Steve's excellent post, read this:
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary....e=nasus
Note especially "Resilience: Very low" and "Red list status".
If the guy keeps taking them up at the present rate, the problem will solve itself. The Cornish population of porbeagles will be wiped out  

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Well, well, well.....lookie here......

If you want to know what "The Prevail" looks like, or Mr Ellis, or even call him and discuss the downside of shark fishing - here's the info.

Find a fishing boat

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Daz
spot on, remember the name and possibly the boat, I for one would steer clear of him on future trips to Cornwall.

If he's a skint fisherman why doesnt he charter for divers instead, I dare say he could make a living, possibly not £7k a time though.

Because we dont break the law doesnt mean we are doing good.

A very sad Matt  

ps nice one Lou, nice looking boat (not).

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Dec. 04 2003,15:02)]Further to Steve's excellent post, read this:
If the guy keeps taking them up at the present rate, the problem will solve itself. The Cornish population of porbeagles will be wiped out  
John,

Tried to follow the link but was requested to give a password.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Dec. 04 2003,17:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Dec. 04 2003,15:02)]Further to Steve's excellent post, read this:
John,

Tried to follow the link but was requested to give a password.

Bryan
OK. Bryan here is what it says:

FishBase name: Porbeagle
Max. size:   350 cm TL (male/unsexed; Ref. 4645); max. published weight: 230.0 kg (Ref. 40637); max. reported age: 30 years
Environment:   pelagic; oceanodromous; marine ; depth range 0 - 715 m
Climate: temperate; 2 - 18°C; 72°N - 55°S
Importance:   fisheries: commercial; gamefish: yes
Resilience:   Very low, minimum population doubling time more than 14 years (K=0.12; tm=5; tmax=30; Fec=1-5)
Distribution:  
Gazetteer Amphitemperate. Western Atlantic: Newfoundland, Cananda to New Jersey USA; possibly southern Brazil to Argentina. Eastern Atlantic: Iceland and western Barents Sea to South Africa, including the Mediterranean. Southwest Pacific: Australia and New Zealand. Southeast Pacific: Chile. Antarctic: off South Georgia and Kerguelen Is. Southern Indian Ocean (Ref. 6871).
Diagnosis:   Dorsal spines (total): 0-0; Anal spines: 0-0. A stout, spindle-shaped shark with large black eyes, a sharp, conical snout, and small, smooth-edged, narrow teeth with side cusps (Ref. 5578). Dark grey above, white below, without blotches (Ref. 6581); rear tip of 1st dorsal abruptly white (Ref. 5578).
Biology:   Most abundant on continental offshore fishing banks but also found far from land in ocean basins and occasionally close inshore (Ref. 247). Found singly and in schools and feeding aggregations (Ref. 247). Feeds on small pelagic schooling fishes, other sharks, and squid (Ref. 5578. Regarded as potentially dangerous to people because of its size and activity but has never or very seldom been indicted in an attack on people or boats (Ref. 247). Utilized fresh, dried/salted and frozen for human consumption; for oil and fishmeal; fins for shak-fin soup (Ref. 247). May be pan-fried and broiled (Ref. 9988)
Red List Status:   , Stevens, J. , (Ref. 36508) , A very wide-ranging species (albeit with apparently little exchange between neighbouring populations), but with a low reproductive capacity and high commercial value. Taken both in target and incidental fisheries. Global populations are not proven to have been depleted to a level where they qualify for a Vulnerable status. However, North Atlantic populations have been seriously over-exploited in longline fisheries, although the introduction of management for US and Canadian shark fisheries should reverse the serious decline in this stock. The apparent lack of exchange between populations on each side of the North Atlantic has resulted in separate assessments for the western and eastern stocks.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Dec. 04 2003,16:14)]nice looking boat (not).
Yep nothing that a match and petrol couldn't put right...

I am quite willing to donate the petrol and what the hell, even the match.

Daz

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>As with all fisherman, the blame for lack of fish in the sea is because of other factors. They must go through life wearing looking out through rose coloured glass.

Pressure needs to be brought to bear on the local authority, the goverment(some hope there!
)
and this man. Why don't we start a campagin to tell him that we don't like what he is doing. His phone numder is on that webpage that Lou found.

We are divers, where will our hobby/sport/job be if all the sharks disappear. I, for one, think that sharks are amazing creatures and we as a race are doing our usual trick of wiping out another species.

Nothing else on this plant does this, so why do we!! IT IS TIME WE STOPPED!!

So write to your MP, MEP, dive assocation, dive shop, radio station, local TV station and get it stopped.

Now is the time to stand up and be counted!

Good luck.

PS Ohhh! It makes me sooooooooooo angry!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Dec. 04 2003,13:34)]I am no marine biologist but I would guess that catching 129 porbeagle sharks would have more impact on their viability as a species than catching 129 mackerel. Are they a very prolific shark? Why was he able to catch so many?

To the YD conservationist crusaders I would say don't forget the man in question has done nothing illegal and is just pursuing his livelihood. At least he is line fishing rather than drift or drag netting. Please note I was also shocked at the numbers he caught and it doesn't seem "the proper thing to have done" but I am somewhat taken aback by the vindictiveness of most posts.

I don’t know enough to know if 129 sharks are a large proportion or just a drop in the ocean. Nor do I know the fisherman – maybe he deserves the vilification he is receiving, maybe he is a struggling fisherman who has just received a financial lifeline.

It would seem that conservation and capitalism don’t work well together. Mind you, from what I have learned, it is just humans that are the problem – whatever the system.
Good comments

I feel much the same way. I dont know enough to judge the man. I know I hate scalop dredgers and massive drift nets that just hoover up the oceian and kill everything in their path but long line fishing has escaped my vitriol as at least its target specific. I eat fish so I cant be too damming but I never buy scallops unless I know they were caught by divers. Its a small protest but my harts in the right place.

So sorry I wont be vandalising his boat any time soon. But if any one wants to scupper a scallop dredger Im your man.

Mark Chase

1 - 20 of 41 Posts