YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
13,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Shark fisherman defies protesters

The sharks were caught by mackerel bait placed on hooks
A fisherman who caught more than 100 sharks off the Cornish coast has defied conservationists by returning to fish for more of the creatures. Martin Ellis, 49, is selling off another 13 porbeagle sharks at Newlyn Fish Market in west Cornwall.

The sharks, caught in Cornish waters on Tuesday, bring the fisherman's total catch to 128 porbeagles in only nine days.

Ali Hood, conservation officer at The Shark Trust, said catching so many sharks in such a short space of time was potentially "disastrous" for the porbeagle population.

"Targeted shark fishing is very, very short-sighted.

Martin Ellis has caught 128 porbeagles in nine days
"It means we could lose one of the most wonderful types of wildlife in our waters and it messes up the balance of the ecosystem," she said.

But Mr Ellis, from Ruan Minor, said he would return to the same spot on his 40-foot vessel The Prevail later this week to catch more porbeagles.

"Nobody has ever done this before in this country," he said.

"Finding the sharks is very difficult and I am still pioneering something here, although the French have been doing it for years.

Martin Ellis plans to go out and catch more sharks
"There isn't one person in Newlyn who wouldn't be happy for me.

"I have had people shouting 'well done' at me across the harbour because they realise it has finally happened for me this time."

Mr Ellis and one other crew member caught the sharks by attaching mackerel bait along a six-mile long fishing line.

The majority of porbeagles are sold to buyers from France and Spain where the shark meat is popular.

Mr Ellis's last shark catch sold for £2.10 per kilo. The largest shark weighed 60kg.

· Registered
13,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The most annoying part of last nights interview with this man was that he has made £7000 out of the weeks catch.  Which will encourage other fisherman to do the same.

Fiona

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.