YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just to say that Sian and I are off to Sharm el Sheikh for a week's diving from 11 to 18 January.  We are hoping to do the Thistlegorm and the Blue Hole, as well as some of the more usual dives.  We have made some provisional arrangements with a local dive centre, but woudl appreciate any local updates from anyone who has been out there recently.  Sian is also hoping to complete her AOWD while she is there - if time and conditions allow

Any comments welcomed

Graeme

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Hi

We just got back from Dahab. Water temp is 20 -22 which sounds warm but I would strongly recommend a semi dry as a minimum. Air temp is above average 25+ which was great but the night time dropped to about 10 so take a fleece.

The Blue Hole is in Dahab which is about an hours cross desert drive from Sharm and then a good 20mins across some serious 4X4 ground to get there. I dived with Poseidon Divers out of Dahab and they were excellent. I strongly recommend Somiko as a guide she is very patient and very very good in the water. There is ample food and refreshments beside the blue hole and if you can cope with a little drop down to 40m ask to do the Bell and saddle dive (its the best shallow dive in the blue hole). The islands are a fantastic shallow dive out of Dahab and the Canyon is fun if you’re up for 30M.

If your going for a day boat to the Thistlegorm expect diver soup but it's still a must do dive.

Have a great time

Mark Chase

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I would agree with that...one day at the thistlegorm and one day(+) in Dahab doing 2 of the canyon (ca 30M), The Islands (max 16m I think) and 'bells to blue hole' (bells exit at 28-30m but wall allows for any depth).

I would check what diving will be available at the moment in Sharm....cos I heard a rumour that most Sharm sites except Ras Muhammed were closed for the foreseeable future due to the plane crash last weekend.

Conor

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Well, safely back from Sharm after an excellent week.  we had a private boat for most of the time - which really made a big difference in being able to choose sites, dive times etc - and not having to jostle with croweded dive decks etc.  Also a chance to say what was prepared for lunch - very refreshing!

The diving was great - the SS Thistlegorm AWESOME, and Sian got to see 2 of the biggest Turtles.  Full report and pictures can be found at www.fbdu.org if anyone is interested.

As for suits - i was more than happy with my 3mm Titanium Oceanic Shadow Lite full suit, with Typhoon boots and poseidon 2mm gloves, and Sian had her Oceanic 5mm Shadow Semi-Dry system - though she only wore the shorty over her full suit once.

Heres looking forward to the next trip - and if we can get a few other people out there at the same time we can re-hire the private boat.

Interested?

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Imported post

I was there over Xmas, and put the lack of colour down to the season : lack of sunshine = lack of colour.

That said there was a lot of damage apparent up Tiran way...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.