YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Dear all,

My partner and I are off to stay in Sharm in late Nov early Dec later this year. We are staying at the Sheraton and would like some advice on the following:

Dive Operator(s) - which are the best?

Jabs - which should we seek before visiting?

Visas - I understand we can get them at the airport but I would like to dive the Thistlegorm, I've heard that I have to get an extra visa for this. Is this correct?

Dives - My partner would like to do some gentlish dives, max of 20m, she's not a great boat traveller so either shore or short boat rides. I've got license for a couple of day trips, one of which will be the Thistlegorm, so open to suggestions for others, max of around 30m.

Which creams/pills/treatments etc.. should we take?

Will I get a tan??  

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ian

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dive Operator(s) - which are the best?
Ocean College are reliable, tried Camel Divers once and they were OK too, but Ocean College for my buck

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jabs - which should we seek before visiting?
None but only drink bottled water

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Visas - I understand we can get them at the airport but I would like to dive the Thistlegorm, I've heard that I have to get an extra visa for this. Is this correct?
Just get the visa at the airport, covers you for all you need

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dives - My partner would like to do some gentlish dives, max of 20m, she's not a great boat traveller so either shore or short boat rides. I've got license for a couple of day trips, one of which will be the Thistlegorm, so open to suggestions for others, max of around 30m.
As far as I am aware all the diving out of Sharm is by day boat, you need to go down to Dahab to go shore diving. They operate a max 30M system, so bar the Thistlegorm you should not exceed this

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Which creams/pills/treatments etc.. should we take?
Sun tan cream, after sun, and paracetamol

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Will I get a tan??  
Yes

Andrew

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ May 03 2004,00:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Which creams/pills/treatments etc.. should we take?
Sun tan cream, after sun, and paracetamol
<font color='#0000FF'>And don't forget the imodium  

some antihistermene (Anthisan) for stings and bites

Fiona

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>and adequate life insurance if you take a taxi over there

Safe diving,
Steve.

p.s I can reccomend ocean college also

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

erm.....  You do need jabs !
Quite a few best to ask your doctor which one's !
I don't believe you need a different visa for the Thistlegorm !
If I went again in the winter I would probably take my dry suit, I was quite cold in a 5ml and it wasn't pleasant donning for the second and third dives !
yep you will get a suntan, but it is quite cold on the boats and at night, take a couple of fleeces you will probably be wearing both of them in the evenings while using the outdoor bars!
The diving is excellent particularly the Thistlegorm, so have a great time  

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]erm.....  You do need jabs !
Oh, been there loads (7 times) and never had a single jab. Been Ok every time.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ May 03 2004,14:12)]erm.....  You do need jabs !
<font color='#000080'>You don't NEED any vaccinations to get into Eygpt, some however are recommended such as HepA & Typhoid.

Have a look at the link below for up-to-date advice.

D of H - Immunisation Checklist

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Most things seem to have been covered apart from the fact that you can definitely shore dive with Diver's Lodge, they are on the beach at the Intercontinental and not too far from the Sheraton, they use a pontoon that puts you out on "Middle Garden" and there is some very good shallower diving there.

Ocean College would be my preferred choice for boat diving but I'm not sure that they actually do shore diving, they do courses and night dives in the bay but generally the diving is from day boats - they'll definintely be able to sort out the Thissie for you.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks guys for all the information you have provided. Much appreciated.

All the best,

Ian

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (exnavyboy @ May 02 2004,19:50)]I've got license for a couple of day trips, one of which will be the Thistlegorm, so open to suggestions for others, max of around 30m.
I really liked the Dunraven, really nice wreck (especially the interior), lying against a cracking reef. Might be worth a look as a day trip. My max depth on it was 29.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts