YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Sharm or Hull? - You decide

• I won't be going to Sharm because I want to do Hull first.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've been to Hull and I found it most enjoyable.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I think this will decide it. Once and for all. I can prove that Hull is better than Sharm! OK, only if lots of other people agree with me. How many times can I vote in my own poll? Just the once? Bugger.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

Ha ha! 100% for option 2! I win! OK, it's just me voting, isn't it. OK, at 1:15am I think this little Digger has to go and cry himself to sleep, only to dream about visibility. And fish. I do have sunshine at the moment. It's burning hot upstairs because of this damned heat-wave. Next week it'll piss it down again. Sod's law.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>4 pulls it back a bit.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Hull just got a 100% increase thus proving Hull is a better place to go as Sharm hasnt had a vote increase at all!

Matt

·
hmmm.. open circuit revisited...
760 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#008080'>Digger,

I guess you need to organise a decent trip out of Hull and just prove to us that is a great place to go diving from...

Due to a lack of hardboats operating in that area it is still on my todo list.. Brid/Horsey is as close as I have got and that on RIBs.. not my fav mode of dive vessel..

Suppose you might have some viz by now??

Best

A.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Aug. 05 2003,11:36)]No-one has been to Hull and found it most enjoyable! No-one! Ever!
But it is too confusing...  Do you mean Hull or do you mean HULL!!!

Because I have been to HULL and had a bloody marvelous time.  Lots of sand though (For those who are a bit confused)

Daz

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

I remeber that on this forum when we say Hull we really mean somewhere else so i voted for Going to "Hull" and it being great because it was. 6 days to go till my liveaboard North sea Ferry trip...cant wait!

jules

·
Registered
301 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>this hull things kinda sad, i mean, u no wen i say im going to hull im really going to ejipt, hmm...trying to say this so i dont get chucked off da forum but its just really sad

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bethi @ Aug. 05 2003,13:06)]this hull things kinda sad, i mean, u no wen i say im going to hull im really going to ejipt, hmm...trying to say this so i dont get chucked off da forum but its just really sad
It's called denial....

Which is quite ironic really with Digger being in denial and you being in the same country as De Nile......

Sorry Digs

Daz

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Oh dear. Daz, go and stand in the corner. That was appaling.

Bethi, you just don't see it. If I can't lie to myself, I'll be forced to face the dull reality that is my life. Why do you think I'm on t'internet for hours every day. The highlight for today: Bying a second hand car CD player. It's got that bad. And that's going to be easily beaten by theat Jamie Oliver programme tonight.

From now on, in order to prevent confusion, Egypt will now be referred to as "Hull" and the actual place, Hull, will remain in its normal form. Because I'm getting lost.

I've never actually been to Hull, nor experienced the delights of Grimsby or Margate, so I might be pre-judging the place. But a mate went there, and told me that Hull made Birmingham look nice. Which is about the worst condemnation a place could get.

Juila, I like what you've done with the North Sea Ferry trip. Now we are friends again, even if you won't adopt me and take me to "Hull" with you.

Digs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Aug. 05 2003,14:20)]I've never actually been to Hull
just out of curiosity, and I know you're in the Midlands, but have you been to Birmingham?

tas

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

I live about 5 minutes from the city centre. It's crap. I came back from uni, keen to see all the changes, and all they seem to have done is moved the scum up the road a bit. What they really need to do is move thema long way up the road, so they're no longer in Birmingham.

It's getting better, but it's still an armpit of a city. Then again, most cities are. Nottingham, on the other hand, seems to be a nice, green, all round great place to live. So I've bought a house there. Problem solved. Except none of my friends are there in the summer. So, back to sunny Birmingham, pretty much so there's someone to go drinking with at the end of a long day's bumming around.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I live about 5 minutes from the city centre
As did I, until November last year. Whereabouts?

Since you're there, you could help me, perhaps: kit here in "Margate" is very difficult to come by, especially second-hand. People suggest that I get some when I'm back in the UK. The problem is not knowing where to go for reliable service and sensible prices and I won't have time to go all over the country-side.

I will be back in Brum over the Christmas period for about 3 days. Any suggestions about the best dive-shop to go to?

tas

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

I'm in Edgbaston, and before anyone asks, no, it's not right next to the cricket ground, nor do we have to watch out for flying cricket balls, and yes, I have been out drinking with the England cricket team. Well, they more came out drinking with me, but there we go.

I don't mind doing a bit of shopping around provided I know what I'm looking for and I know you're serious. I'm pretty effective on deals etc. with the guys in the East Midlands, and I'm rapidly developing relationships with centres in Brum too. Everyone thinks they're doing my IDC next year at the moment. And for now, I'll let them think that. And take advantage of their gullibility and trust. I'm good at that. As my ex will testify.

Best thing to do is let me know what you're in the market for, and I'll see what I can do. I'm up and down to Go-Dive and SDS quite a bit, and so can source things there easily. Take it offline if you like, mail me through the boards.

If you fancy a dive around Xmas, I'm up for snow on the ground diving. Don't know if you'll want to waste one of your 3 days in Brum with a fool like me, though!

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

By the way, who went to Hull and found it most enjoyable? Maybe they were confused with "Hull".

Easy mistake to make.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Spent a week in Dahab and decided to go down to Sharm for one night to do the Thistlegorm.  great dive but what a hole Sharm is!  Espceically after the tranquility of Dahab, the "las vegas"-ness of Sharm was not appealing at all - so glad I hadn't booked to stay there for the week...

Then again, that's only my opinion and I am sure many people enjoy great holidays there.  It's just that personally I wouldn't want to go there for more than a day trip as I found Dahab to be much mroe "real" and the diving great, but not as busy.  And I got dysentry from Sharm!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Yeah, Sharm is a bit busy and so on, but to be honest I am a bit of a wuss when on hols and diving.  One beer and I am nearly on the floor so late nights are never on the cards.  Hence somewhere like Ocean Club just outside Sharm where you can have a quiet drink and some varied food, on the bedoiun cushions on the roof bar, watch the sun set past the mountains and chill is all I ask for!

What puts me off Dahab is the thought of being on shore and driving around in jeeps rather than on a nice relaxing boat in all that heat.

Lou

p.s  My mother-in-law lives in Hull.  I don't find it most enjoyable  

·
Registered
61 Posts
Imported post

There is of course the famous saying, 'it's never dull in Hull', might not be that famous come to think of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Aug. 07 2003,00:42)]By the way, who went to Hull and found it most enjoyable? Maybe they were confused with "Hull".

Easy mistake to make.
hi digs,
 i've been to hull, except, being a foreign language and all, they had this weird spelling: mexico.  it was very enjoyable though.  i would recommend anyone goes to hull.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts