YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Just back from Sharm and would like to echo and expand a bit on Mdemon's recent report.

For those who haven't been before - The airport requires a great sense of humour and (when leaving) handfuls of baksheesh - locals not too impressed with hard currency in the form of 20p pieces (to get into toilet and all other cash elsewhere)

It is not a twee outpost with a camel tied up under the date tree, it is cheap and does have most things.

I would echo all the good things about Emperor Divers. They are friendly, realistically priced and somehow create organisation from the chaos that surrounds them.

Thistlegorm was v.good but beware the pre 4:00 am start and it is bloody cold before sun up - fleeces recommended for winter. The lack of growth on the wreck emphasises the Don't Touch anything instruction. Even after nearly 60 years there is little coral even on the shallower surfaces.

A 5mm shortie is NOT enough. Ok in the water until you crash into something but back on the boat chilled. Lizard type heat management essential.

Loads of dive boats on all sites but by and large not too bad in the water. It can be difficult getting the correct shot line in summer apparently.

Well worth the trip, not too costly and better than the top end of the Gulf - Taba/Eilat.

Hope to be there again soon.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Richie,

Cheers for this mate. Glad you enjoyed it. Do any other wrecks whilst there??

How was Sharm? Did it appear busy or empty?

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Bren,
Only managed the Thistlegorm. I had family with me -  nuff said.

My first visit so no real yardstick. Hotel was full, All dive boats in Na'ama were in use but there were a lot lying idle in Sharm itself.

Only 4 boats on the 'gorm including a liveaboard.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Richie,

only 4 boats on the Thistlegorm!! That's virtually deserted mate! I've been there where there's been 20 + and it's chaos. Still, a top dive though. I ended up with 12 mins deco on my last dive there and worth every minute mate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts