YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hiya!

I have a trip to Sharm booked for 09/11 and was just wondering what the procedure if for obtaining the visa at the airport. And do I need a passport photo for the visa at all?

Also I have read elsewhere that the best way to obtain currency once there is to use the ATM's. Are there ATM's at the airport where we can use our usual Lloyds TSB bank card to obtain currency? We are staying at the Royal Sharming Inn at Ras Um Sid so do we need to get futher currency when we go into Naama bay??

Look forward to your replies.....

Scubachick  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

The visa is pretty straight forward, no photo required just join the big queue pay the money collect the stamps and stick them in your passport.  (It is pretty easy to find where to go just follow everyone else.  ;)

Don't know about ATM's I normally take dollar currency and dollar or sterling travellers cheques.

Daz

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks for that Daz...

Funny that I read somewhere that if you got your visa here you needed a photo....but I guess they look at your passport piccie at the airport anyway...

Can't wait to get wet again!! LOL!!

Scubachick

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I think they do ask for a photo when you get it in advance, but as Daz said the easiest way is to buy it at the airport. Your company rep may get the visa's for you and you buy them from him, or if you  are travelling independantly you just queue at the bank.

Funny thing on that note, when I went last time I got my own viza for $15, now I am going through a company they want £15, is that an extra charge for queueing?

I used ATM's while there with no problem, and that was Dahab, so there should be no problem at all in Sharm. I believe if you can use your card abroad then you can use it in Egypt. So if you have used your card abroad before you should be fine, otherwise ask your bank.

BTW a group of YD'ers will be flying out when you are arriving, hope you leave the plane clean for us

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

They take dollars or euros for preference - no photo required, but cash only.  ATMs are quite common and probably gets you the best rates - big hotels and HSBC banks (VISA) are your best bet.

G

·
Imported post

No photo required if you get your visa at Sharm airport.

ATMs take British cards with Maestro/Cirrus and of course Visa and can be found in Naama Bay in the big shopping mall and next to McDonalds which is a short taxi ride from Ras um Sid costing about £20 Egyptian. No ATMs at the airport that I know of but you can change money there or at your hotel.

Best advice is take $50 in small bills to get you through the first night then use cashpoints - also take some pound coins for the persistent buggers who will carry your luggage whether you want it or not and watch their eyes light up at the sight of a gold nugget!

Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts