YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Diving is expensive, live with it!
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm putting a club trip together to the Shetlands for next year. It'll be a mix of experience, BSAC SD and upwards, with a mix of OC and CC. Preferably liveaboard.

It's a new destination for us, so I'm looking for recommendations on boats etc. Also, any other hints and tips also gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Phil

Have done a trip up there with RIBs, so if you end up doing that way, give us a shout and I can let you know the ins and outs of that. We did take our own compressor as well.

Simon (on his lunchbreak; oh, you dont care about that now :) )

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
I did a liveaboard in the Orkney Northern Isles on the Jean Elaine with Andy Cuthbertson and it was fantastic. I think he does Shetland trips and he'd be my first choice if I had the option. Then again, I only have experience of 1 other Scapa based liveaboard (although I was shore based), the Karin, so I suppose I don't have much to compare it to. Not that there was anythign wrong with the Karin, I thoroughly enjoyed my week with John, but all things considered I would go for the Jean Elaine over the Karin if given the choice.

·
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Phil

Have done a trip up there with RIBs, so if you end up doing that way, give us a shout and I can let you know the ins and outs of that. We did take our own compressor as well.

Simon (on his lunchbreak; oh, you dont care about that now :) )
Hi Simon,

Thanks. We've only got a little RIB, so doubt it's worth the hassle (plus they've all got spoiled in recent years). Will contact you if we do do that though.

How are things next to Willen Lake?

Phil

·
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a liveaboard Orkney Northern Isles on the Jean Elaine with Andy Cuthbertson and it was fantastic. He does Shetland trips and he'd be my first choice if I had the option. Then again, I only have experience of 1 other Scapa based liveaboard so I suppose I don't have much to compare it to.
Hi James,

We've used Andy a number of times in Scapa. I've added him to the list.

Cheers,

Phil

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Hiya,

We are currently in Shetland, actually if you look here and wait for it to pan round you can see us - we have one of our two ribs tied alongside as we are off diving later :) Lerwick Harbour Webcam | Lerwick Port Authority If you want to book with us for Shetland next year, get a wiggle on as we are rapidly running out of spare weeks.

There is a bit on our website here: Lerwick recreational mv-valkyrie.co.uk or if you have any specific questions please just ask either myself or Hazel and I will try my best to answer :)

·
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hiya,

We are currently in Shetland, actually if you look here and wait for it to pan round you can see us - we have one of our two ribs tied alongside as we are off diving later :) Lerwick Harbour Webcam | Lerwick Port Authority If you want to book with us for Shetland next year, get a wiggle on as we are rapidly running out of spare weeks.

There is a bit on our website here: Lerwick recreational mv-valkyrie.co.uk or if you have any specific questions please just ask either myself or Hazel and I will try my best to answer :)
Hi Helen,

Many thanks - I'll be in touch.

Cheers,

Phil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts