YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
I'm lost for words. No matter how angry you are at the world and no matter what the voices in your head are saying there can be no possible justification for hurting children let alone taking their lives. Absolutely heart breaking.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Think this sums it up....no idea if figures are true however.... doesnt say how many were legally held for instance

Font Trigger Air gun Poster Shotgun

I've been running some training courses in Louisiana over last couple of years. One rule I have is never to discuss sex, religion or politics on courses. I have had to add gun control to that list. It seems to be a mix of all of the other three.

One guy on the course owned more than 150 guns ranging from pistols to rifles to a fully automatic AK47.

Baffles me.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gun control wont stop these things happening. Really cant see anything stopping these people once they get "it" in their heads to kill.
Happens here though mercifully, rarely. Dunblane, mid nineties and 17 killed.

Thoughts to the families and all the people involved.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Control of bullets is something they need to get a grip on. Wondering around a Walmart once, I was flabergasted to see boxes of bullets on open shelving next too a gun counter.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Gun control wont help, bullet control might though, it is hard to beat 30 people to death with the handle of your gun,..
Last week a chap in China did a similar thing, killed over 20 infant kids with a knife, shows you don't need a bullet. Just got a couple of cursory mentions on BBC World Service, but I suppose they don't have all the helicopter shots etc that are the fodder of rolling TV news...

·
Registered
20,638 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last week a chap in China did a similar thing, killed over 20 infant kids with a knife, shows you don't need a bullet. Just got a couple of cursory mentions on BBC World Service, but I suppose they don't have all the helicopter shots etc that are the fodder of rolling TV news...
Yeah seen that on the news. Like you say very little on it, but thats China for you. Same as Paul, I got the impression they where injured. Still it doesn't make it less important.

Here's hoping the Mayan calander is an apocalypse on the FCUK WITS of this world.

·
On a break....
962 Posts
I was at work in England, and watched the news unfold in horror on my pc, knowing that a close relative lives less than 10 miles from the school and works as a kindergarten level teacher, but unsure what the name of the school she works at was - googled frantically till I found her name on a school newsletter. Heard from her today, with her take on it as a teacher at a nearby school who was at events in the town only last week, and its just heartbreaking.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
My cousin lives in Faifax Virginia and has 3 sons in the elementary school Ok it is no where near but it sent shivers down my spine.

Incomprehensible :sad:

I just don't see a solution. The strength of the NRA is huge and the 'right to bear arms' is very deeply ingrained in the red head community (and the rest).

·
On a break....
962 Posts
My cousin lives in Faifax Virginia and has 3 sons in the elementary school Ok it is no where near but it sent shivers down my spine.

Incomprehensible :sad:

I just don't see a solution. The strength of the NRA is huge and the 'right to bear arms' is very deeply ingrained in the red head community (and the rest).
I have never understood how "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" turned into a personal right unconnected with the security of the state

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Is it one last ditch attempt for fame or notoriety that makes them kill innocent people.?
Heres why and it wasn't Morgan Freeman who said this but does it really matter who said it, its oh so true.

You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed

people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Freeman’s words give pause for thought and reflection. I pose this question to the reader: What do you think? Are people seeking attention and notoriety because of the way the media portrays them? People who commit suicide often feel like they are alone and a nobody. In this case did Lanza decide he wanted to go down in history books by making his name synonymous with monstrosity?

A little stat that came from Twitter early.

In the last 6 months there have been more deaths from guns in America than from the Iraq or Afghanistan wars or from terrorism in America in the last 20 years.

I don't personally care what your take on it is, America is a highly angry militarised country, with itself and with the rest world and with guns so freely available this won't be the last of this type of appaling atrocity.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Morgan Freeman (or whoever):
People who commit suicide often feel like they are alone and a nobody.

While that's true, and I feel for anybody that is so low they they consider it - if you are gonna do it then do it as cleanly as possible (though the fall out left behind with family and friends will never be clean).

Sad state of affairs innit where people so desperate to be remembered know its easier to do something horrific than brilliant in the world for recognition.......

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Following the advice of Morgan or who ever it was, let us not give airtime to this, instead here are the names that should be remembered

- Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female
- Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male
- Rachel Davino, 7/17/83, female.
- Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female
- Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female
- Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female
- Dylan Hockley, 3/8/06, male
- Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female
- Madeleine F. Hsu, 7/10/06, female
- Catherine V. Hubbard, 6/08/06, female
- Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male
- Jesse Lewis, 6/30/06, male
- James Mattioli , 3/22/06, male
- Grace McDonnell, 12/04/05, female
- Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60, female
- Emilie Parker, 5/12/06, female
- Jack Pinto, 5/06/06, male
- Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male
- Caroline Previdi, 9/07/06, female
- Jessica Rekos, 5/10/06, female
- Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female
- Lauren Rousseau, 6/1982, female (full date of birth not specified)
- Mary Sherlach, 2/11/56, female
- Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female
- Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male
- Allison N. Wyatt, 7/03/06, female

source

Sandy Hook Shooting Victims' Names Released

1 - 20 of 31 Posts