YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,063 Posts
Helen,

Not sure what lens and ports you have, but I would be inclined to open the lens up fully and then use centre-focusing and matrix metering. If you can't use tripod or lay the camera on the bottom you are a little buggered. I would also wind it all the way upto 1600 (or higher if the D70 goes there). Much better grainy shots that blurry clear shots.

Joe Hesketh (look at this profile on DIRx) has just had some done in Mexico while he and his team were there but you can see lots of evidence of pwerful strobes which I think are the only answer TBH.

HTH

10,063 Posts
I don't understand why you have no tripod - you need a tripod type object. Is this a local directive from the cave operators?
A lot of the caves/caverns in Mexico are incredibly delicate and there is a strict 'no touch' policy. Touch the floor/ceiling and the dive ends and you are out!

10,063 Posts
I think the problem is the amount of light you need and your strobes just aren't in the right place. However, you might be able to do something with backlighting like these shots by Daniel Riordan taken in Mexico for Joe Hesketh and his team.

You can see the amount of strobes used in these piccies. Also pointing the lights behind the divers and using strobes to light up them and the foreground.

However, you have probably finished now... :)

10,063 Posts
What si the second thing each of them have in thier left hands, with what looks like another power lead? Umbilical backup light?
I think it is another light but I did notice that Daniel uses strobes clipped off on the butt ring to light the area behind the diver when the main strobe goes off.

10,063 Posts
Ahh, that makes sense, thought it didn't look quite right for a torch.

Some more kit you're going to have to buy Gareth - I'll dive it for you :D

Dave.
If you mean me, yep, more kit to buy. You also need extra strobes too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.