YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Worlds leading exponent of anal acoustics
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,my wife currently uses mares avantix-3 fins,she finds them hard work as she is only 5ft & has lower back problems,anybody in a similar position?
Would she be better off with shorter or split fins?
Any comments welcome.
Cheers
Lee C

futures lookin so bright I gotta wear shades

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Split fins are the devil's jizz. Jetfins. Lovely. Short and thick does the trick. Long and thin- pile of crap. If she has particularly small feet then PM Jen S as I think she has some small ND jetfins up for grabs so you might get a bargain. At least they are worth a try.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
Mostly this is a personal choice so you are going to get loads of conflicting advice here. At the end of the day, the best advice you can get is to try some out and see what works for you.

Split fins can be excellent, it depends on which brand you choose. I have the original Apollo Biofins, : : Apollo Europe : : they are very easy to use and whilst they are quite heavy (so you don't need ankle weights) you hardly know they are there. I found that with normal fins (even short ones) I was getting a lot of cramps in my calfs

They are very powerful, great on the occasions when you have to go against currents. They are well mad, I got mine about 8 years ago and I'm still on the original fin straps.

They do take a couple of dives to get used to as the way you control your balance changes a bit.

The only negative thing I could say about them is that because of the split there could be a greater chance of line getting tangled in them if you were laying line.

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Nobody's mentioned force fins yet :)

I like them, though they're not cheap. Some people think they look stupid, but the question should be: Are they actually any good? Personally I think they are.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Some people think they look stupid, but the question should be: Are they actually any good?

Who gives a toss what they look like? Atleast you can walk around the boat in them without planks of wood on your feet.

They are, however, the best performing fins around. Well I think so anyway.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Another vote for Force Fins. I got mine when I had a bulging disc in my lower back and haven't looked back. See if you can borrow a pair to try.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have these:

Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gearhttp://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_fins v12.html

They are heavy out of the water but I get maximum power for minmum effort. The first time I wore them for real, my hubby (who is a foot taller and fitter than me) asked me what the rush was when he caught up with me and I was just finning normally.:teeth:

I have not lost any manoeverability and I definately do not kick up the silt! The main problem that I have found is it is difficult to walk sideways in water. The split opens up and creates drag. So I walk backwards.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_fins v12.html

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
they kick the hell out of the silt.
's funny - I found the exact opposite. I even tried it out at my local muddy puddle. Much less disturbance. I put this down to the split fins translating more leg power backwards - born out by another test I did which had me going further and faster with less kicks and with less effort (compared to Cressi Frogs).

Oceanic Vortex V12 fins - they're great.

But not as good as Force Fins :D

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
's funny - I found the exact opposite. I even tried it out at my local muddy puddle. Much less disturbance. I put this down to the split fins translating more leg power backwards - born out by another test I did which had me going further and faster with less kicks and with less effort (compared to Cressi Frogs).

Oceanic Vortex V12 fins - they're great.

But not as good as Force Fins :D
Depends how you fin. A gentle squooshing frog kick disturbs nothing plus you can go round and round and backwards and all sorts of tricks while looking like a Dive God. Split fins it's ploughs down for a silty house.

Force Fins- hmmmmm. Not tried them. However they do look very very silly. And they are very very expensive. £225 for some whiskery force fins or £29 for some rubber jetfins. Now call me picky but that is Taking The Piss. What are they made from? Gold?

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
See if you can borrow a pair to try.
If you speak nicely to the people in the Stoney shop they should have a pair you can borrow for a couple of dives.

They are nice fins. Hardly feels like you're wearing any but you whizz along, also very easy strolling around the boat :)

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
Depends how you fin. A gentle squooshing frog kick disturbs nothing plus you can go round and round and backwards and all sorts of tricks while looking like a Dive God. Split fins it's ploughs down for a silty house.

Force Fins- hmmmmm. Not tried them. However they do look very very silly. And they are very very expensive. £225 for some whiskery force fins or £29 for some rubber jetfins. Now call me picky but that is Taking The Piss. What are they made from? Gold?
I was doing the "normal" flutter kick at the time. These days of course I wouldn't be seen dead flutter-kicking - soooo last year ;)

I actually found Force Fins a bit tricky at first, but that's because they don't reward big & slow flutter-kicks - they're so powerful it puts too much strain on my calves. Now it's nice relaxing frog-kicking and short, quick flutter-kicking if I want to go fast. Far too expensive though - hard to disagree with that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Short Or Split Fins

MY VOTES FOR FOR FORCE FINS ALL THE TIME:) , COMFORTABLE,EASY ON YOUR ANKLES/LEGS AND WITH THE FIN BEING TURNED UP AT THE FRONT YOU DON,T CART WHEEL DOWN THE DECK AT THE SLIGHTEST THING THAT CATCHES STANDARD DESIGN FINS :angry:

·
Registered
966 Posts
I`ve had split fins, jetfins and force fins. For me, force fins win.
Split fins - great power, poor manoevreability
Jetfins - good power, good manoevreability but too heavy in water.
Force fins - as Jetfins, but light, very easy to get on/off.
Once you factor in the cost of spring straps on the jetfins, pro force fins aren`t much more expensive (some good ebay deals sometimes)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
What are they made from? Gold?
Err...Recycled Uni-Royal Truck tyres IIRC.

Force Fins are worth their weight in Gold as about the best all round fin I have used. I don't care if they look stupid...they have looked stupid for 10 years (twice as long as the Mares Planars that fell apart on me). And I only paid £60 for mine.

Jet fins are OK as far as spades go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with most that Jetfins are the ones but i have very skinny legs and ALL fins give me cramp except my split fins. They are lovely to frog with too. Manoevreability(chk spelling:) ) wise i have no issues at all. They last well and i find them very comfortable.
BUT fins are a very personal thing, some like to really feel they are kicking against water whereas i do not like to feel too much counterforce.

pkdive.co.nz

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I can still keep up with splitties in my jetfins though no problem.
This sort of statement always worries me.

What, exactly, is the point of racing about? A buddy pair, or team, moves at the speed of the slowest person, not the fastest.

Slow down, enjoy the dive.
dan

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
I`ve had split fins, jetfins and force fins. For me, force fins win.
Split fins - great power, poor manoevreability
Jetfins - good power, good manoevreability but too heavy in water.
Force fins - as Jetfins, but light, very easy to get on/off..............
I have Jetfins - great for manouverabilty, frog kicks, shuffle kicks etc
I have Split fins also (expert Zooms) - good if you want lots of thrust, gentle on leg muscles but kick up loads of silt.
I do not currently own Force Fins (but I hear many say I should) so can't comment

Perhaps a good answer is to own a selection!

The main problem I found with split fins was two-fold: they reduce manoeverability and the kick the hell out of the silt.

However in a staight line they are not bad. I can still keep up with splitties in my jetfins though no problem.
Further confirmation to own a selection perhaps. As your divings progress's you collect and eventually use a wide range of different types/makes of gear

In my case I am a kit junkie when it comes to poseidon regs, dive lights and cylinders!

..........Jet fins are OK as far as spades go.
I was unaware you could dig the garden with them also! Thanks for that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts