YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Due to unforseen circumstances our club has just lost it's shot line. Now, knocking around the boat shed we had a 110lb drop weight, which I have lopped in half. ( 2 1/2 hours with the power hacksaw) The question that I put to you is what in your considered opinions is the ideal weight for the shot? the two halfs have come out at 51lbs and 59lbs, both a little bend inducing don't you think. Do I cut another couple of inches of the bottom or not (after all the hacksaws at work so I'm not paying for the hacksaw blades).
I wait all tingly in antisipation for you replys.
Dave.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I belive BSAC recommends something like 35lb for shots, depends how often you're gonna haul the damn thing up from 50m !!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Whilst in Tenerife on hols the outfit I dived with had a lift bag attatched to the line just above the shot. At the end of the dive the dive "leader" would return to the shot and inflate the lift bag. I don't think it had enough lift to bring the shot to the surface on its own but it made it an awful lot easier to pull up.

Mind you, given UK vis that may not be of much use as a solution.

By the way the outfit was called Tenesub in Galletas and I got a 59 mtr boast, er I mean dive in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thank's lads most informative.
What do you think Adrian Cut the big one down to 35lbs ish and leave the smaller one for a tempory moring bouy anchor or assume the worst and cut them both to shot size?
I sugest this way round as the biggy nearley gave me a hernia getting it out of the saw  
 so I would not want to haul it any great distance.
Dave.  

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Dave

Cut down the one with the loop on it. I just got 36m and 16m of rope to make up a lazy shot and extension. I will be at club house from about 6pm to make up lines and fills. So if you want yours done, drop em off.

Possible plan for w/e - Riversdale. Slack HW+3 which makes 12.21 Sat or 12.48 Sun. Also Maine again, similar slack or the Persier. Let me know.

Adrian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Can't do saturday, sleeping. Sunday yes please, if you do the main again can you do it saturday so I can do somthing different sunday.
I will try to catch you up the club but if I don't, some muppet left the O2 in the back of their Landy, can you take it for saturday.
Dave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts