YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Shot lines and climbing rope

1K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Rubber Johnny 
#1 ·
Imported post

Does anyone have any sources for used climbing rope?  Our club rib is badly in need of a new shot line following a little incident with a landrover in Eyemouth.

Willing to part with money if required.

Many thanks.

#3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hazey @ April 06 2004,10:00)]Does anyone have any sources for used climbing rope?  Our club rib is badly in need of a new shot line following a little incident with a landrover in Eyemouth.
I wouldn't use climbing rope for this. 3 strand 6mm nylon rope would be better as its a bit more stretchy and, more importantly, cheaper  

Try a local chandlers and if they give you an odd look when you say its for a shot line then tell them its either for a dingy anchor or a tripping line.

#5 ·
Imported post

Nick,
Climbing ropes are deliberately stretchy, far more so than any other rope/line I've seen. They also get replaced quite frequently although that shouldn't matter for a shot line (If I remember correctly the breaking strain for a new one is 800Kg)

Simon A

#6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hazey

Climbing rope black 12 & 15 mm marlow.

Now surely you know someone in the HM Forces near you that may be able to supply some after 4 descents thay must scrap it ..... Look in any Forces members cars, and they got tow ropes
If this is really what you need, I'll have a word with my storeman mate. Will cost you P&P and a small fee for the RNLI.

Shotline .

You might have one of these near you.

£ 9.39  220mts x 6mm nylon 3 strand nylon line...  pg 199 of the catalouge.

STILL WANNA SAVE MONEY.

Chat up your friendly BT engineer, in the back of his van is a couple of drums of  500mm x 6 mm 3 strand nylon line.It's used as a MOUSE to pull cables though pipes
. For a pint , some falls off the back of the van .

Andy

Diver + Knife = lots of rope cutting on boats

#7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Simon A @ April 06 2004,11:21)]Climbing ropes are deliberately stretchy, far more so than any other rope/line I've seen. They also get replaced quite frequently although that shouldn't matter for a shot line (If I remember correctly the breaking strain for a new one is 800Kg)
I bow to your superior shot line knowledge on this one then  

I know several people who have tried to use it on their yachts in the past and come a right cropper with it. Oddly enough theu don't use it any more (and still get evil looks from the lifeboat guys in the pub  
).

#9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know several people who have tried to use it on their yachts in the past and come a right cropper with it. Oddly enough theu don't use it any more
Wait til ya see the mooring lines on the TAURUS ,
 Black 15 mm ex forces fast roping line  ..  

#11 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hazey @ April 06 2004,12:10)]Andy, thanks for the offer.  No problems with paying p&p and a donation to the RNLI for some climbing rope - after all without their help we might have been looking at replacing more that a shot line (and a Discovery)
Okay I'll bite  
- what's the story....:p

As an ex-landy owner, I will say a small prayer whilst raising a glass of malt tonight...

Simon

#14 ·
Imported post

To cut a long story short.

Launched off the beach, engine would not start.  Tried to recover the boat but the swell built up fast.  Then the winch strap broke.  Made  a second attempt using some rope round the winch, but by the time the boat was on the front wheel of the disco was embedded in the sand.  Made several attempts to pull the car free using the shot line, but it kept breaking (hence the need for a new one).

Trailer got recovered at low tide and the very very nice people from the RNLI towed the boat round to the harbour.

The picture below shows what is left of the Disco after the breakwater wall was finished with it.

#19 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ April 05 2004,13:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know several people who have tried to use it on their yachts in the past and come a right cropper with it. Oddly enough theu don't use it any more
Wait til ya see the mooring lines on the TAURUS ,
 Black 15 mm ex forces fast roping line  ..  
One point to remember, fast-roping line isn't the same as climbing rope.  the former is static-line which means is has minimal stretch, the latter is dynamic-line which means it has plenty of stretch.  Stuff that lashes down fine with fast-rope will come adrift with climbing rope if you aren't careful.

G
#22 ·
Imported post

I have used climbing ropes, old ones, for years on shot lines. The are absolutely ideal as not only are they much less likely to end up as a birds nest of rope in a RIB than three strand but they are much nicer to handle, have massive breaking strengths and the stretch is an absolute bonus rather than a drawback.
When you are checking for the grapnel being attached you don't get yanked out the boat when it suddenly goes tight as there is a minimum of stretch plus when tied on he rope takes a little of the jerking out of the line.
My current one has now had around 6-7 years of use and still going strong, try that with nylon three strand!

#24 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>That is one hell of a photo. I actually thought you were joking for a sec. And then no, it really was your landy. I'll bear this in mind when launching boats. Always use someone else's car...

You should sell it to Stoney. They'd put it in and sell tickets to go see. You know they're putting in an APC? 5m long it is. Apparently by the end of the summer. More stuff to go see! I hope they put it in the hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.