YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi UK divertype persons
Im going to be in the UK for ten days visiting from Canada at the end of May based in Surrey. My schedule is pretty flexible and Ill have my own transport and dont mind driving. I wouldnt mind getting a dive or two in if its worth packing my gear, Im traveling solo but I dont like to dive solo .
So my questions are the usual .. does anyone have any suggestions regarding diving along south coast during week of may 20 - 27 ? I got the usual fistful of various C cards but Id be happy just getting in the water doing some 20m dives especially if theres a shipwreck attached. Are there any shore diving accessible wrecks along southcoast ? Walkup/charter suggestions ? Tank/weight rentals ?
Anyone need a buddy ?
thanks to any that reply
Chris M

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Hi UK divertype persons
Im going to be in the UK for ten days visiting from Canada at the end of May based in Surrey. My schedule is pretty flexible and Ill have my own transport and dont mind driving. I wouldnt mind getting a dive or two in if its worth packing my gear, Im traveling solo but I dont like to dive solo .
So my questions are the usual .. does anyone have any suggestions regarding diving along south coast during week of may 20 - 27 ? I got the usual fistful of various C cards but Id be happy just getting in the water doing some 20m dives especially if theres a shipwreck attached. Are there any shore diving accessible wrecks along southcoast ? Walkup/charter suggestions ? Tank/weight rentals ?
Anyone need a buddy ?
thanks to any that reply
Chris M

Defo worth a go, HOWEVER its the wrong time of year for shallow diving east of Weymouth you would do much better in the 30m+ range. Forget shore dives. Allow £40 for a boat dive.

Loads of dives advertised on hear and loads of single spots available.

Just put up an honest appraisal of your depth range and skill level and it should be possible to find a suitable buddy & dive. You just have to accept that their is a good chance of 1m-3m viz this time of year because of the plancton bloom.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
I never wrote a dive resume before but here goes

Im just a diver, with no aspirations to be anything more than just a diver. This is my fifth year diving and Im based in the Toronto area. I primarily dive the Great Lakes with 180 odd dives, about half boatrides to shipwrecks in 30-40m range, the other half shore dives usually 15m or less and done in the charter off season for skills practise etc. We like to think we have the worlds best freshwater shipwreck diving. Our viz ranges from 0-3m like this time of year to 30m (on a VERY VERY good day, 7-10m is more typical) on the wrecks a few km out, and temperature ranges from 1C in winter to 20C in summer, thou at 20m+ depth its rarely above 7-8 C but at least the ascent is warm. Other than local lake dives Ive dove off Nova Scotia a few times in the Atlantic and also in the Bahamas. I obviously need to get out more, till recently I didnt realize fish came in any other colours than green and brown. Mind you I dont normally have to rinse my gear either

I usually dive recreational no deco with steel doubles (twin PST HP100s... sorry I dont know the metric term for them, our gear all comes from the yanks) in a drysuit with your typical hog rig, Ive logged about 100 dives in this setup. Some people think its overkill but I like the redundancy and its a convienent rig for doing multiple dives, plus I take alot less on the boat than your average single rig diver doing a two tank dive. I reckon to bring a singles rig (and pack a doubles wing just in case, Air Canada has a generous sports gear allowance) as Ill guess single tanks are lot easier to rent (they are here anyway)

I belong to a local survey team as the video and sketch artist and we are 'licensed' thru the provincial govt and NAS to do survey projects here. Anorak stuff but I like it.
Im not big on racking up the courses but I did the ones that mattered to me. I started with NAUI to AOW and Nitrox and just to prove Im stupid did the Ice course as well. Then I dug about and looked up two of the best local tech instructors and took some intro courses with them, TDI's Steve Lewis and GUE's Dan Mackay. Im not a fish but with alot of practise I managed to pass DIR-F in doubles. I got no real desire to get into tech diving but I wanted to learn the basic skills properly.

I dont consider myself DIR thou I agree with most of what they teach, I'll dive with anyone, just not anywhere. Im to cheap to learn or use trimix and far too lazy to even think of owning a RB. So I keep to dives in the leaner nitrox ranges and feel comfortable up to 40m but dont tell Dan you ever saw me dive anything other than 32% ;-)

Like I said, Im just a diver... anyone need a buddy last week of may?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts