YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Press F10 for ...
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the following e-mail from a guy in my dive club, whos wife has Cystic Fibrosis. The e-mail is reposted with his permission.

Dave.

Hi All,

The recent suggestions in the new for an opt out scheme would increase Lou's chance of receiving some new lungs. Below are some petitions of interest, sign up if you feel the same way as us

Petition to: change organ donation from opt in to opt out.

Petition to: Remove NHS prescription charges for adult sufferers of Cystic Fibrosis.

You can also sign up onto the donor register if you like too:-

How to become a donor

If you can pass this on to any one else you think may be interested in registering or signing the petitions.

Regards

Tez

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
I wonderd about a tattoo saying " help yourself"

well no but I did think they could suggest something on your foot or somewhere unseen to save carrying the card

DAvid

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
No !

I am a donor and on the register but the onus should not be put on people to opt out for something like this and I'm sure many bereaved relatives would be most upset if their loved one had not had the wherewithall to do whatever is necessary to opt out and then ... well you know

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Yes. I think it should. You should opt out - rather than opt in. Too many lives are not saved through ignorance.

Opt out - no problem your organs will be disposed of how you wish.
Otherwise you give permission to save your organs (that you will no longer need) for someone who desperately needs them.

I don't want my relatives to have that uncomfortable and emotional conversation with doctors about what to do with me. It will be known. And with my blessing.

Wilbo. Organ donor since 1988.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Interesting situation and similar issues pertain over here. I've been overseas for 20 years now, I still have my old UK Driving Licence, which is apparently valid until 2021; it doesn't have a photo on it, but perhaps the new ones do, I don't know.

Our drivers licences here carry photo ID and are similar to a C-Card and run for 5 years max, after which you have to buy a new one (no testing required, they are just screwing us for money....no surprises there I guess).

When I first came here, the licence application/renewal form contained a tick box for "organ donor" and when I ticked this, the new licence duly carried the wording "organ donor", along with all the other bumf.

For some unknown reason, they've stopped doing this and my licence is now silent on this issue. I don't know why, it seemed a bloody good idea. I suspect that there may have been some legal difficulties with it in theform that was used.

Now, we also have to actively seek out and put our names on the organ donors register, which I can't remember if I did or not. I think I may have done it through the Red Cross when I gave blood (before they banned me).

As for compulsion, I have to say that I don't agree with that proposal, (although I can see that the arguments for have some merit) but they could certainly explore methods of making it easier, such as carrying the info on the drivers licence. If it was made easier and simpler to opt in, I'm sure more people would do it.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Personally I am on the register and if they can find anything useful after all the years of abuse I've given my body then good luck to them. I have made my feelings known to all my nearest (and sometimes dearest) and anything the docs can't use can be burned and scattered. As for opt in/out I think leave it as is but have a regular nationwide awareness program I don't like having other people making my decisions for me but I do feel that ignorance should be addressed.

My 2p

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Personally I am on the register and if they can find anything useful after all the years of abuse I've given my body then good luck to them. I have made my feelings known to all my nearest (and sometimes dearest) and anything the docs can't use can be burned and scattered. As for opt in/out I think leave it as is but have a regular nationwide awareness program I don't like having other people making my decisions for me but I do feel that ignorance should be addressed.

My 2p
I agree with you on this one, even the abuse bit. one way I have ensured that my family comply with my wishes is the inclusion of a small caveat/clause in the will- if they dont try to get the organds used they getb bugger all and it all goes to the RNLI as a legacy ( the estate not the organs)

that said I am also carry a doner card which means you can carry on eating my kebab if I die.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Absolutely, this has been my stance for years. Sorry all this my body business is rubbish, if you don't want to donate OPT OUT.

It has always been opt in and some people just "don't get round to it" so hopefully the opt outers won't get round to it either.

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
No I dont think it should... just because you are dead does not mean that your body suddenly become government property... unless you fill in a form... that cant be right...

B x
spot on,

ATB
Gareth

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Absolutely, this has been my stance for years. Sorry all this my body business is rubbish, if you don't want to donate OPT OUT.

It has always been opt in and some people just "don't get round to it" so hopefully the opt outers won't get round to it either.
Nah sorry, laudable though it is, the government doesn't own my body, nor does "society". It should still be down to a positive decision on the part of the donor, the authorities should take steps to make it easier to opt in.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The bit I find pretty funny is that this government pilloried the Alder Hey pathologist who kept a few body parts for research, and now says it's O.K. if the government says it is. Actually for a short time I think our body is effectively the property of your executor/trix as they have the say over disposal.

I am still in favour of organ donation though. Problems with some faiths though if someone dies and doesn't have their refusal card on them and the relatives find some organs have been harvested!

David.

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
In my view it should be a person's choice to donate organs, and not anyone's right to have them if an 'opt out' hasn't been done.

My sheckle's worth.

Oh, and I have carried a card for years.

·
Team Starburst
865 Posts
I agree with you on this one, even the abuse bit. one way I have ensured that my family comply with my wishes is the inclusion of a small caveat/clause in the will- if they dont try to get the organds used they getb bugger all and it all goes to the RNLI as a legacy ( the estate not the organs)
As the mail drops through the HQ of the RNLI on monday morning the quote is heard from the post room "Ah Feck - not another warm kidney , phone the canteen it's pie for lunch again" :D

Seriously tho as Garf said it's bugger all use to me after i've gone , if you just did the opposite to now register if you don't want to help someone live after your death.

dave

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
How fecking easier do you need it

• Pick up donor card and carry it
or
  • Phone Donation line and register
  • Ensure your family knows your wishes
I would take less time than posting a reply on the internet
So why don't you think more do it? Is it because people don't like to think of their own mortality? Is it fear that they'll be 'harvested' before they are really dead? Is it ignorance of the genuine need, and good that they can do?

I don't have the answers. I do believe, however, that it should still be a positive choice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'm an organ donor, and gladly give any body part that would be of use to anyone after i have parted.

however, can i throw a preverbial spanner in the works, and i say this in an objective way. it's not my opinion but it did cross my mind the other day.

darwins theory of evolution was based on the survival of the fittest, which stands to reason. with a society that perscribes drugs for every ailment and replaces dodgy body components with healthier ones, are we not encouraging bad genes to continue through the human race and thus are we not weaking the **** sapien species in the long run?

the truth is that i believe that if someone needs a organ then the humanity in everyone would do everything in our power to donate a organ to save a human life. which is right, even at the expense of the human race !!

·
Team Starburst
865 Posts
i'm an organ donor, and gladly give any body part that would be of use to anyone after i have parted.

however, can i throw a preverbial spanner in the works, and i say this in an objective way. it's not my opinion but it did cross my mind the other day.

darwins theory of evolution was based on the survival of the fittest, which stands to reason. with a society that perscribes drugs for every ailment and replaces dodgy body components with healthier ones, are we not encouraging bad genes to continue through the human race and thus are we not weaking the **** sapien species in the long run?

the truth is that i believe that if someone needs a organ then the humanity in everyone would do everything in our power to donate a organ to save a human life. which is right, even at the expense of the human race !!
Because if your going to help in any way then you go the whole hog , the only difference between between treating flu and replacing a heart is scale

society has made a decission to treat illness when it can rather than to allow natural causes to rule.

quite rightly so in my opinion.
Dave

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Why stop there? Why what until you are dead? Why not forcibly bleed everyone once a month for a pint of the old claret, after all there is a shortage of blood donors as well, Think that bone marrows yours Sir? Think again, we will have some of that......

There is enough state interference in our lives without them thinking they own your body as well.

J.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.