YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My membrane drysuit has a cuff dump and after recently having a try out in a suit with a shoulder dump, I'm a convert.

As drysuit manufacturers are pretty thin on the ground here, their prices, including for alterations are scandalously expensive, due I suspect to lack of competition and I've been quoted a ridiculous sum for fitting a shoulder dump.

Having looked closely at the way everything else is fitted, it looks like a no-brainer to fit my own.

Am I being a little ambitious here or is it really as easy as it looks?

Anything I need to watch out for?

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is pretty simple.

The Apeks ones come with a rubber backing patch that you glue on to the outside of the suit with Bostik 2402 or similar. Once that is set you can cut out the hole in the middle with a sharp knife.

The dump then sits on the patch with the threaded stem through the hole. The 'nut' is then screwed on from the inside of the suit.

eBay.co.uk: SCUBA DIVING DRY SUIT AUTO DUMP VALVE (item 200108623091 end time 17-May-07 20:15:00 BST) is the Apeks one and there is a photo on there showing all the bits.

Choosing the site will be the hardest part. Perhaps look at other suits for an idea on where the dump should be.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
It is pretty simple.

The Apeks ones come with a rubber backing patch that you glue on to the outside of the suit with Bostik 2402 or similar. Once that is set you can cut out the hole in the middle with a sharp knife.

The dump then sits on the patch with the threaded stem through the hole. The 'nut' is then screwed on from the inside of the suit.

then there are 2 nuts in the suit.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is pretty simple.

then there are 2 nuts in the suit.
4 actually. :)

Reactions: Clare

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Seaskins are the cheapest place to buy all the bits...they won't sell you the glue, you'll have to buy that off ebay. it is that easy to fit...just don't try and rush it. And look at other suits for the best position, then try yours on and make sure you can reach it with your BC on.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Don't forget to put a piece of wood inside the sleeve before cutting the hole to avoid that 'two matching holes on either side of the sleeve' look.

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Don't forget to put a piece of wood inside the sleeve before cutting the hole to avoid that 'two matching holes on either side of the sleeve' look.
That sounds like a talking from experiance bit of advice

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
That sounds like a talking from experiance bit of advice
Not me, but the man who did gave me a whole new vocabulary of expletives:teeth:

Other suit fixing pitfalls to avoid are;

Gluing new boots in - 180 degrees out.

Not gluing new boots in but attempting to dive with them attached with insulating tape.

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Not me, but the man who did gave me a whole new vocabulary of expletives:teeth:

Other suit fixing pitfalls to avoid are;

Gluing new boots in - 180 degrees out.

Not gluing new boots in but attempting to dive with them attached with insulating tape.
many years ago when one of my secondry roles was looking after the aircrew survival equipment I had to make up a new spare immersion suit for our new boss, obviously at the time being a young sailor who found it hard to stay out the pub use to turn up for work slightly worse for wear some mornings, anyway managed to glue both socks on back to front and didnt notice untill we were away at sea and he needed his spare suit, needless to say he wasnt a happy bunny when he tried to wear it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts