YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Ammers,am interested in your (bad) experience with these as you're first person I've known who has had a problem with them.The ND suit I had had Apeks Xmas cracker issue fitted although they were badged as ND.We had lots of trouble with these as they were a plastic bore etc.and once the bore became scored (dirty water)the things were useless.The early Apeks was a chromed brass if I remember as are the Si-Tech which just require O-ring replacement,but I think Apeks have stopped doing these now.I'm not even going to mention the dump valves!What did you have wrong with your Si-Tech's?

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

Hobs, look inside the ND suits on the chest and you will see the Scubapro "S" hologram!
The problem with the valve - hmm where to start..I noticed straight away that the valve wasn't dumping enough air as I ascended, so I was having to stop every few metres and wriggle about to get air out, even with my arm at the highest point. If I didn't do this then I would make a rapid ascent. I fitted a cuff dump which solved the prob although it's a pain having to lift your arm straight up to dump air. I inspected the valve and couldnt see any dirt trapped or any problems, however I hosed it right through in the bath. Tried it again in open water, no difference, tried changing undersuit in case the weezle was blocking it, no difference. I wonder if the valve was made by somebody else and badged as si-tech? I now use the Britannic superskin suit and it's a beast..leaves ND standing. Great valves, apex, when I tried it in the pool, my eyes nearly fell out of my head in delight as I added jags of air with the valve open and watched bubbles pissing out. What a difference!
For interest, I have used a few different ND Vortex suits from training schools and they were all the same - naff. No idea if it was a bad batch of valves or what but I don't recommend them anyway.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Cheers for that.As said it's the first time I've heard of a problem with the Si-Techs.You must be weird girl! Recently on that ahem "other" site there was a thread like this with people complaining about the Apeks valves (mainly their auto dumps)and everyone was raving about the Si-Techs!I've never seen the Scubapro mark in the suits,mine has'nt got one and I've looked hard inside my suit trying to find a seam that had some glue holding it together(I jest you not).Cheers.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

Hehe...hey I never denied being weird, I have definite leanings towards the "oddball" category, no question

I did see the thread on that other esteemed forum but chose not to contribute because you know the drill there. I post and it turns to war, no matter what the subject matter.
But yes, it would appear I am the only one to have come across this problem - but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, every problem has to be found by 1 person eh?
Happy splish splashing.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Sorry forgot!Is interesting as I know that ND being the cheapskate Barstewards that they are have tended to use their "own badged" valves for a while.As said,all the ones I've come across have been Apeks,I'll have to look out for that.They did'nt tend to use Si-Tech as they were more expensive and used to have a different fitting for hoses.Like you say,cuff dumps are bloody awful contraptions and the requirement for an effective dump should'nt be that hard to match,should it? I use a manual(pull-cord/bog chain)now incidentally.Cheers.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Anyone who doubts Ammers' "oddball" status just has to realise she's a DIR fan who is nonetheless seriously considering an Inspiration ;)

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

oi, nobody said that it had to be an Inspiration did they?:wallywink:
Choice, my dear friend, choice. :menani:
Oh ... and on the DIR topic, I .. er.. seem to remember someone ..er.. recommending ..er.. certain ..er.. elements of the system to ..er.. punters on another ..er.. forum

:redbite:
:eek:fftopic:
looks like we'll be singing off the same hymn sheet soon, proverbially speaking :rock_band:

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Not an inspiration? I had a link to the Russian Navy Diving school where you could do a course on their RB's(I gave to Vic a while ago "over there")You even get a commercial ticket of some description to.They do however have some intriguing methods,they use O3 for eg.(this was responsible for the Mir Space Station explosion)Still must beat the average BSAC/PADI course!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Hmph. Judging by the interest you've shown on that 'other' forum, I don't think 'considering' an Inspiration is something you can't be accused of :p

If you're looking for a RB with a six-foot long loop, you might be out of luck tho >
Even the Halcyon doesn't have one of those...

Technically, I've only recommended the Hogarthian setup, of which DIR is an extension. It's not DIR if you only adopt part of it, I seem to recall a certain someone saying..

(I've been very impressed with my BSAC club recently - there are now TWO people in it (other than me) who have heard about DIR)

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

I am interested in the workings of the unit yes, that, however does not mean that would be my choice of rebreather in the future. DIR recommendations..could give you some examples but not here. Which BSAC club are you in? Other people there have heard of DIR? I AM impressed!
Do tell more...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

It's called CRABBSAC (Go on, laugh ;) ) Based in Crawley.

Lots of instructors (More instructors than students, really) many of whom are a tad set in their ways.

Its an uphill struggle trying to convince some people that twinsets have their place in recreational diving, that wings aren't a passing fad, that weight doesn't HAVE to be on a quick release, and that imitating a christmas tree isn't necessarily the best way of doing things.

Was quite entertaining last week in the pool - a whole bunch of us playing about and switching each others' air off. They were doing the old "I can remove my stab, turn my air back on and re-kit in under a minute" while I was lazily reaching back and turning my air back on one-handed

Don't even ask what they think of the long hose. The three people who've noticed I have one so far, that is...

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

I agree - it IS indeed an uphill struggle. I have a few friends (PADI) who run a pool session which I fire along to quite often to practice skills in the pool. I just do my own thing at one end, they do their teaching etc at the other. Comments on twins range from, you won't run out of air in a pool to, that's dangerous having them in the pool. The point is to practice! Pools are good...I like to always try out new bits and pieces and catch up with the machine.
I turned up with twin 15s one week and struggled to keep a straight face at the looks I was getting off them!  :jump013:  Next stop, full stages, reels, lights etc. What a sad git I am, getting my laughs in these strange ways..  :dance:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

heheh - if you want to discomfort the clueless, there's an easier way than that. Wait till you have their attention, then switch to your backup reg, and in one swift movement, unscrew the front cover from your Apeks reg, remove the diaphragm, and wave it under their nose

Then re-assemble it, replace it and swim off breathing off it. Some of the expressions you can get from doing that are priceless ;)

Mind you, I get enough funny looks when I just empty out my pockets to practice spare mask drills - they find it odd that I even carry a second mask, never mind spare cutters, strobes, reels, SMBs and fin straps ;)

(Edited by Dominic at 3:37 pm on Mar. 18, 2002)

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

hehe...new tricks cool. They also find it strange that I have a spare mask as well as all the other redundant stuff. I don't need fin straps though..I have spring straps..bomb proof. I seriously doubt that I could change fin straps under water, my experience of them has been that they are quite rigid and hard to change on land! You should think about the spring straps..they're great.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I plan to move to spring straps when budgeting allows - things like wing, twinset, drysuit etc all took precedence.

Even then, I'll continue to carry the fin strap, because no-one ELSE I dive with will have spring straps, and I'd rather not have to tow someone if I don't have to.

My instructor had to do just that when my fin broke and vanished at 20 meters at Stoney when I was learning

1 - 15 of 15 Posts