YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Yes Mal,

I couldn't agree more. And I make no appologies for this, the Chinese and the Japanese have some very f*cked-up ideas on life and social custom; from thinking that Panda/Siberian Tiger/'pick-an-endangered-species' testicles can be used as an ingredient in a 'pick-me-up' medicine; to trying to persuade other nations that it's really quite alright really to hunt whales (Great or otherwise).

Incidentally, the Japanese had, in their language, no recognised word for 'sorry', until post WW2.

But, as long as folks are willing to part with a buck to get the above sweet-meats along with Shark Fin Soup etc the only thing I can suggest is vote with your wallet and never purchase any of these vainglorious atrocities.

Sad, sad, sad......  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

That is sick!  I have a degree in environmental management, and so i know the full impact of hunting these creatures.  In the fragile environments over there - this could be disaster.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

sick is an understatement!!! we will rue the day that we have treated one of humans closest allies in the water this way these creatures to me as a diver,stand for something precious that this world must protect because if we continue to persicute these creatures our children will be resigned to seeing them only in picture books

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Sick indeed! However, the 60 killed deliberately each year under licence is nothing compared to the number that still drown in tuna drift nets, even though that number has been greatly reduced compared to a few years ago.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

May be the yanks should have droped more than one bomb on em?

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]May be the yanks should have droped more than one bomb on em?
That's one solution. It wasn't done right the first time, maybe it should be done again?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Col.Maniac @ Oct. 31 2003,17:45)]May be the yanks should have droped more than one bomb on em?
They did: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Imported post

Do you know about the Rape of Nanking (Nanjing)? If you do not, find out about it. I doubt that the Chinese have forgotten.

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Totally agree with all the comments, it's a sickening sight, the Ocean long-lining is nearly as bad too, because they're wiping out the Albatross, almost to extinction.

Ron

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

just been thinking may be we should get these sick people and tie their hands behind their backs and cut their belly`s open with a blunt knife, see how they like it

as to bombing em :- They did: Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I thought the yanks only droped one bomb which ended the war in that part.
Tony

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

No! The first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945. Three days later, on August 9, the Americans dropped another on Nagasaki, killing almost 74 000 people and seriously injuring another 75 000. Countless people died of radiation injuries during the decades that followed. The morality of using nuclear weapons can always be discussed but the first bomb is considered to have shortened the war by 6 months and saved thousands of allied lives. The second one, according to the historians, was dropped merely for revenge.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,
Intresting I never Knew that! I only ever heard of 1 bomb being droped, you learn someting every day
Thanks.
I am more intrested in the European wars that went on, i was never realy intrested in the Jap war too far away

Tony

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Hi Tony, I'm no expert, although I am old enough to have certain vague memories of the war. As I understand it, the historians are agreed that the Japanese, although they had not formally surrendered, had actually started the surrender process when the Nagasaki bomb was dropped. The Americans were well aware of this and decided to drop the second bomb to teach them a lesson for Pearl Harbour and their apalling treatment of allied prisoners, so tens of thousands of innocent Japanese civillian men, women and children paid for the military's and politicians' sins with their lives. Many people consider the dropping of the Nagasaki bomb to be a war crime.
In my teens I knew a man very well who had been captured by the Japanese in Singapore at the beginning of the war and spent the whole war in their prison camps in Malaya and Burma. He survived but was a physical wreck for the rest of his life. He wouldn't have bought a Toyota if he'd been alive today!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

After reading ur post I had a look on the net about the bombings found an interesting one, im not much into reading
just had a bit of a breeze through it :- http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/hst/northamerican/TheAtomicBombingsofHiroshimaandNagasaki/toc.html

It is a problem for innocent people to get involved with a situation as after the first world war it was agreed by all sides that bombing of civilians towns cities was a big No No, only military targets, of course during the 2nd world war all this went out the window from what I know the germans were the first to drop the bombs on civilian target in London only because the bomber pilot could not find his target to bomb so he just dropped em anywhere and the British responded by dropping a load over Berlin, the vicious circle begins.
Tony

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

If you like looking at dolphins you should come to Devon during the winter.  You can see loads of them washed up on the shore, some with obvious knife wounds, some tied to each other with obvious knife wounds.  The method they accidently catch dolphins with isn't used during the summer months, so you grockles don't get to trip over mutilated dolphins washed up on the beaches while you're down here on holiday.  The fishermen think that by stabbing them through the lungs will make them sink and nobody will know about it.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Bastards!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts