YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Scoff has very kindly offered to show the ins and outs of his side-mount system designed for cave diving. Some of us are very familiar with the dir style system for open water and the larger caves. This is a great chance to see the system evolved for smaller caves.
Capernwray is a handy venue, poor dark vis, and other divers kicking your head to simulate contact with the cave roof :)
I would love to meet up, have a chat, and see and have a go with a properly put together harness----a few post dive beers are always good too!
Does anyone else fancy it-----Scoff has asked for a few dates.
I would be game for 22nd November, 29th November, 6th December----or at present, any time in January or February, plus practically any Tuesday.

This follows on from the thread on helmets on the dir page.

Cheers all, Malcolm.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

29 November or 6 December would suit me at the moment.

Looking forward to trying a sidemount harness!

Bob

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

6th December suits me too.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Aaah.  Temporary derangement getting in there again.  Sorry Jay.:D

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Besides, you'd have to have your cylinders the right way up if you went for sidemounts

·
hmmm.. open circuit revisited...
760 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cooper @ Oct. 22 2003,22:41)]29 November or 6 December would suit me at the moment.
Looking forward to trying a sidemount harness!
<font color='#008080'>Bob,

29 Nov could be interesting.. that is the weekend when GUE are holding their DIR workshops at Capernwray. Maybe we can get Andrew G and Andy K to try the sidemount rig too  

Take care

Anke

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

29 Nov. sounds promising then.  I'll put it in my diary.  It would be good to coincide with the GUE classes up there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imported post

So there I am looking at the helmets post to see if there are any takers for the sidemount meet....no.

Then I notice you lot have all moved here.

Must be scared of the DIR thought police
!

Anyway, just checked the diary and 29th November is good for me. So that's a firm fixture.

Best make sure everything's in top shape for then. I might even give my helmet a polish or two (fnah-fnah)!

I'll keep my eye out for arrangements re: times, where at Capernwray to meet, etc. nearer the date.

And now back to lurking....

Cheers

Scoff

(CDG Northern Section - QD)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Hi Scoff, how about you naming the time, you are the star of the show after all

You could wear your helmet and have a bell round your neck calling ----unclean-----so we don't mistake you for the dir class  :)

Very much looking forward to meeting up----I'm the 48yr old git in a silver/grey volvo.
Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imported post

Er... dunno where everyone else is travelling from, so how about 12 noon?? Is that okay?

I'll be the baldy, almost-48 yr old git with the beard (I'm a potholer, remember?) in the white van (a la WKPP) with green rear windows complete with CDG & Comex stickers. Maybe I'll put me helmet on the van roof just to be obvious.

Speak nearer the time, anyway.

Cheers

Scoff

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Scoff

Looking forward to it mate! I'll be making the trip from London.

BTW, What is your name?  I'm sure "Scoff" is just a pseudonm(sp?)

Bob

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

You know I wouldn't mind having a gaff at sidemounts.

I'll make it if I can but need to get permission  

Glad it wasn't the week before - what with England playing in the World Cup Final.  

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imported post

Bob,

In case you thought that the name 'Scoff' indicated that I like my pies.... well, really it's 'cos my surname's Schofield. But everyone has always called me Scoff since schooldays (even the wife calls me Scoff), so that's whay I'm known as to all and sundry.

But I do like like pies, and I'm not skinny

Looking forward to the 29th November, and I'll make sure everything is as clean and mud free as it ever gets. Don't want to leav a big brown stain for the GUE lads now do we?

Cheers

Scoff

Scoff

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Any plans for another session like this?

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Mr T. said:
Any plans for another session like this?
If I can get to the Stoney YD gig in February then I'll bring along sidemount gear to play with (including a couple of D5's). Stoney's not ideal because they make you wear BC's even if you are in a drysuit. Alternatively I'd be happy to turn up at a local (for me) pool one evening if there is anyone that wants a gander.

Well done to Scoff.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I don't mind bringing a harness to play with but the BC thing is limiting, you end up with a jacket around you as well as the sidemount rig, which somewhat spoils the feeling of freedoma nd steamlined ease I find.

Mine's a custom build from the local webbing and rope man, Poppa Smurf, and so isn't adjustable, but I don't mind anyone trying it if they like, the waist is a bit movable, and the crotch strap can move a lot, but the rest can't really.

Digs.

G

·
Have used my sidemounts on 18 dives now and would like to join in on this as I am sure I will pick up on some improvements. Unfortunately, cannot make it as far as Stoney due to work commitments.

Anyone interested in a North-West"ish" meet?

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Steve Robinson said:
Anyone interested in a North-West"ish" meet?
I don't do Stoney or Crappieway on general principle. Don't mind going to Hodge if anyone fancies it, I've got a spare harness but I'm stuck for spare bottles at the moment as I've stuck them all in for test. I'm heading back to Scotland on the 23rd so I'll be passing through Cumbria then. Or I'll be back down after Christmas and I'm off until the 4th.

Cheers,

Stuart

1 - 20 of 29 Posts