YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Common enough amongst cavers, but you rarely see them used in open water.
Why is this?
Obviously it means you can't manifold(1), but if you're a fan of indys, what's the big advantage of having them on your back as opposed to alongside?
I mainly ask because of the recent thread on clips breaking, and the admission that swinging your entire rig up on one shoulder is the time a clip is most likely to break. If you put on the harness without any cylinders attached, it'll have all clips & buckles done up before you put any weight on it.
And you also don't have to take the brunt of the entire weight in one go: Twin 12s are heavy buggers, picking them up one at a time would seem kinder on the back.
So, has anyone used sidemounts, and if so, what are the down sides?

(1) Actually, you COULD jury-rig a manifold for sidemounts by using a HP hose plugged into both HP ports. But let's not go there

· Not as tall in real life
3,947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ July 29 2003,11:24)](1) Actually, you COULD jury-rig a manifold for sidemounts by using a HP hose plugged into both HP ports. But let's not go there
Sometimes Dom you really scare me  

· A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,284 Posts
Imported post

I beleive the main technical reasion for not using side mounts in OW is they look bloddy silly

Mark Chase

· Membership Cancelled
955 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>I dive sidemount OW but there again I'm a caver and have an aversion to backmounts.  I don't go in the sea if I can help it as my tanks would go rusty.  A lot of wreck divers in the states dive sidemount but there again this is for overhead stuff.

You could get a pair of Y-valves and use the spare outlet to rig up a flexible manifold....

Duncan

· Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,570 Posts
Imported post

Isn't is simply a case of carrying the things out of water.
It is much easier to have a stable load on your back than a similar mass wobbling around a waist height. (no beer gut comments please)

· Membership Cancelled
955 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richie @ July 30 2003,07:46)]It is much easier to have a stable load on your back than a similar mass wobbling around a waist height.
<font color='#8D38C9'>Actually a modern sidemount rig puts the tanks between your waist and armpits and is very stable.  Not good for doing forward or backward rolls but why anyway.

Surely with backmounts you'll be pulled over on your back whereas with sidemounts you should be equally balanced?

Actually I do get out of the water and wander around with my sidemounts on - its an easy way of getting my tanks back to the car.  The ability to don and doff tanks in the water is handy for kitting up in restricted spaces.

Duncan

· Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi there, funny you should mention this setup, i am considering the setup myself.

I dont want the hassle of a twin set, i did see a diver on a boat have this system and for him it worked very well.

12lt side slungs and when he wanted a 7 or 10 down his back for deco. He did it as he had a bad back and was able to take them off in the water, then have them pulled on board before he climbed out, very light and safe.

I have the stage kits and regs but i also would be interested in people who have tried this, it seems a very good system if you can get the trim right.

All the best.

Laurence

· Registered
16,208 Posts
Imported post

Well, I've been kit-fancying for a while now, and reckon the sidemounts idea could work for me. Unfortunately Stoney Cove get a bit funny about not having some sort of redundancy if you're in a drysuit, despite the semi-dry guys using single bladder wings and all that.

Next time I get out on the club boat I'll give it a try, it certainly looks easy to move about and easy out of the water, so why not? At the worst it can only be crap and I'll go back to my indies on my back!

Is there an easy way of making a harness for this sort of diving from a lot of 2" webbing? Because I can get that stuff by the bucketload. Any websites? I only want to make a temporary jobbie for trying it out, I don't want the next greatest thing in sidemounting tanks!!!

· old time
6,621 Posts
Imported post

Steady Dominic

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Same could be said for FFMs, doesn't seem to stop people using them.
I'm a AGA user, coz thats what i was taught and bought up on....... best bit about it is, saves me having a silly half a mask buddy..

Andy

· Membership Cancelled
955 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ July 30 2003,20:04)]Is there an easy way of making a harness for this sort of diving from a lot of 2" webbing? Because I can get that stuff by the bucketload. Any websites?
<font color='#8D38C9'>Yes - or I can sell you one for £72.50 incl. p&p (blantant comercial) - the cost is not in the webbing its in the 18 bits of stainless steel clips and D-rings you need.  In the USA recently I knocked up a harness from gash bits and pieces without having to sew anything.  I've got a webpage but it doesn't have the lightweight harness I peddle on it yet.

Duncan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.