YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm sure someone on here will have the answer for the ideal product:

I'm looking for some kind of liquid silicone (not grease) or silicone adhesive.  Basically I want to coat the threads of a bolt/stud with it and then have it firm up once in place making the whole thing watertight.  (But with the ability to unscrew again if required).

So a couple of questions:

What the hell am I talking about?
What's the product called?
Where can I get it?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Angus
From your description I think it sounds like something perhaps like Loctite or Hermertite, try Halford's or some other automotive shop

·
Registered
89 Posts
Imported post

I'm looking for some kind of liquid silicone (not grease) or silicone adhesive.
Be aware that some of the Silicon sealant products contain an acitic spelling? acid that causes corrosion. This would have a detrimental effect.

Regards Brian

·
Registered
75 Posts
Imported post

Sounds like clear silicone sealant to me, found at diy stores in a tube applied with a gun as in sealing baths or upvc windows etc  

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

go to any chandelry <sp>

ask for a product called sikoflex

It is designed for exactly the application you describe. Several types exist, usually with a % of sticking combined with a % of waterproofing. depending on the make then the ratio will vary to suit your application

regards

David

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Don't use the silicone sealant you would use in your bathroom as silicone cures by the exchange of moisture with the air so would not cure down inside the threads. You need something that will either cure anaerobically or a 2-part system.
You could use Araldite as it's 2 part then when you need to get the screw out again, heat it up.
Alternatively, use a good thick wrap of PTFE thread tape (from any DIY store) that plumbers use. Ideally it should be used on a tapered thread but by a little perseverance you can get it to work on a parallel thread.
The best solution, if possible, would be to use a Dowty washer under the bolt head (sometimes called a bonded seal). Have a look at RS components RS Components who have a wide range. Much more reliable than O rings. In fact, they should be designed into the A clamp to get rid of those poxy O rings.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Well id go for Loctite I think 626 thread sealant, i use it in compressed air fittings, gas tanks etc..
And from a mechanics point of view it is a great product and very verisitile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts