YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let everyone know, i have had a text from Simon tonight to say all is well and the PFO opp went to plan.

He's a bit sore but all is good:) C u soon M8'T, you will soon be splashing about with the best of us.

ATB
Gareth

·
Add Water To Activate
1,433 Posts
Get well soon simon , nice car by the way :)
OOOOH that babe....... sex on wheels, you can't help but fondle every inch of it, inside & out:teeth: He still wont let me babysit it.

See ya soon Simon, all the best for a speedy recovery

LisaR x

·
life is too short
1,987 Posts
Best of luck for a successful and speedy recovery

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Thanks

First I would like to thank everyone for their kind messages.

When I found out that I had a PFO I wanted to talk to as many people as possible and would like to thank them all for providing the information that enabled me to make the decision to have the op, so... THANK YOU!

Now......

I arrived at Liverpool Cardiothoracic Hospital which was at first sight a very impressive nice new building. I said goodbye to my eldest son Lee (who had driven me) and my two dogs. I then entered the building and was even more impressed with the reception area, it was big light and airey loads of space and one big desk with a well made up woman behind the desk. It was like walking into a PLC reception not an NHS reception. I've been in several different private hospitals and this recption would have cut it with the best of them.

I presented myself to the recptionist and she directed me to another building on the site and said that I needed to check in at patient services. I enter the other building, guess what, it was what I imagined an air-raid shelter to look like inside. I managed to check in and was directed to a ward which was pleasant enough. It was broken down into several six bed units and some individual rooms. I was issued my bed and settled in.

After a few different people having a go at hunt the artery (too much biopreme) I managed to offer up samples of blood and the needle was left in place for drips and the like. I believe it was called a "Canular". Lots of questions ensuring that I am who I say I am and that I know why I'm there. This was fun at first but got a little tedious. Everyone from the Surgeon to the Nurses assistant came along and introduced themselves and after checking who I was and ensuring that I wouldn't miss my birthday gave me a detailed description of their duties and what I was to expect.

Dinner was served and it was much better than anticipated. Then I was informed that they didn't have enough blood so they needed to take some more, no worries I had the Canular in. Well they aren't able to extract blood from a Canular once it has been fitted so it's back to the popular after dinner game of hunt the artery.

I didn't want to talk to the other patients, I had a book and an MP3 and I didn't want to listen to what everyone was in for and how ill they all were. I prepared badly, Liverpool were playing Chelsea and there I was with a whole city of people shouting and cheering. 31 is the maximum volume on my MP3 and it's just not enough. The idea that I had, that there would be people a few breaths from death on the ward was shattered with folk sat round on Oxygen cheering, coughing and wheezing. Imagine it trying to read and now trying not to speak (some people say that I have slight Blackburn accent) as everyone here were shouting in scouse accents (as a cunning linguist I was able to understand everything) but I wasn't sure that they could understand me.

I awoke after what seemed like 3 hours sleep but really was much less (even in the night there was a lot going on on in the ward) and unable to eat or drink I satisfied myself with a extra long squeeze of toothpaste. Showered in the special shower liquid that they gave me and then put on a gown which was like an overcoat thet you wore the wrong way around and it fastened with one tie at the rear of the neck. I was so glad that I had a dressing gown and remembered opening the present so many Christmas' ago. It's a pity that my mum isn't around now to see me wear it but at least it has come in usefull. I was then handed some disposable underpants, "one size fits all" the nurse said, yeah but at what price to comfort. It was like trying to push my nuts through a fishing net.

I sat around waiting patiently (book and MP3) and eventualy they came to take me away. The journey to the Theatre was swift I was asked three times by different people along the way what my name was and when was I born (I'm now beginning to believe I'll get a lot of cards come August) I met the same faces that came to visit me the previous day. I was told to breathe and that I'd feel the left arm going .... and that was that.

I came around with a terrible sore throat and a pain in my leg. The pain wasn't that bad but I asked for morphine, I didn't get any but I did ask a few times as I remember the last couple of times that I've come round from a general anathetic and the pain that I felt. It was not to be this time, I was given a drip with paracetamol and the pain in the leg subsided. I drifted in and out for a half an hour or so then was returned to the ward. My throat was very sore but other than that I felt tired. I slept on and off for a few hours.

I was visited in the evening by Dr Morrison who told me that everything went to plan, text book proceedure. Hole closed, the device fitted perfectly and he was happy. If he was happy then I was happy.

I read for the evening and walked to the toilet without problems. It just didn't seem right that I had undergone heart surgery and I was feeling ok and not in pain.

I slept for a few hours during the night and received antibiotics via the drip. The nurse checked on me every half hour to begin with. The entrance was made at the top of my right leg on the crease of my groin and it is just a really small hole, not even a stitch just like I've had an injection but because I've been given anticoagulents the risk of bleeding was high. It never happened and if it did they were on top of it checking and testing that a pulse was present in my feet.

The third day (today) I was woken with more antibiotics and now some tablets. I have to take Asprin, 75mg each day for six months and another tablet for my blood for a month. Dr Morisson (surgeon) visited and I had X-rays and a scan which he was pleased with. All in place and he was happy for me to leave.

It was exactly the same time that I was admitted so 48 hours over three days to fix a PFO. I'm not in pain and although I feel that I can run a marrathon (well I never could before so it's an expression) I was advised to take it really easy for a week. So that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I was a little concerned before and if anyone else is going to have this procedure then feel free to ask any questions of me or anyone else.

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Simon,

glad to hear that everything seems to have gone to plan!

'Slab' report reads well, makes different reading to the usual report on here.

Wish you a speedy recovery, hopefully you'll be back in those Egyptian waters soon!

Oh, how long before you can dive again?

Pete

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Glad everything went well,Take care and hope to see you soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts