YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning some diving for which my 12L twinset isn't very practical so need a single cylinder. I was gonna get a 12L steel one but I am also thinking of replacing my deco cyl (steel 7L 300bar) with an AL80 so was wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone and if the AL80 is suitable for single cylinder diving?

Cheers,

Darren

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
All depends on how much air you need. Its only 11ltrs and would be over 2kilo's positve when its empty...more weight would be needed on your belt to counter it. I wouldn't do it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the Ali cylinder you will be using is going to be 02 cleaned for deco then you'll want to make sure that whenever you put air in you are using a double filtered source. Don't want to go contaminating that nice, clean cylinder do we. ;)

TSM is right to say it depends on the diving you are doing. If it's just shallow bimbles or a bit of DM'ing etc then you know yourself how long you can dive with a safe margin on a 11L cylinder.

The buoyancy may be an issue to you with the extra weight you may need to carry but LOTS of divers jump in the Red Sea and have great dives without considering that they have, very often, an Ali tank on their back. :)

With a 50 Bar reserve you'll be looking at an extra 2-3 lbs of lead. Personally...I don't worry about it when I use my Ali tank. ;)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
No problems with it at all if the diving is suitable. Lots and lots and lots of dives done using an Al80 every year in the Red sea alone...and it has more gas than a single 10l which will get used for quite a ew dives here.

Be aware of the different bouyancy you need to counteract and be sensible on the dives you pick to use it for and the the gas needed and I would have no issues.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Never seen a 232 AL80. Have seen 232 10l allys, but they're really crap to dive with.

Personally a 10 litre is plenty for a lot of the dives our club does, and an AL80 would be fine too. If I were doing it I'd just strap a couple of kilos of lead to the bottom end and it might as well be a steel.

Digs.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Never seen a 232 AL80. Have seen 232 10l allys, but they're really crap to dive with.

Personally a 10 litre is plenty for a lot of the dives our club does, and an AL80 would be fine too. If I were doing it I'd just strap a couple of kilos of lead to the bottom end and it might as well be a steel.

Digs.
I was sure you could - and I thought I had seen them, but willing to stand corrected.

Anyway, the gist of it all is - works in the Red Sea and lots of other warmwater destinations where Ali tanks are the norm. No reason for it not to work here with the trim/bouyancy sorted. So we all agree. Until someone comes along and says don't sive a single int he UK.. ;)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I was sure you could - and I thought I had seen them, but willing to stand corrected.

Anyway, the gist of it all is - works in the Red Sea and lots of other warmwater destinations where Ali tanks are the norm. No reason for it not to work here with the trim/bouyancy sorted. So we all agree. Until someone comes along and says don't sive a single int he UK.. ;)
We all know you can't dive a single anywhere, it's dangerous. You could die. At least twin AL80s are required for red sea 10m diving, we all know that. :)

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
No mate, that's just you, because everyone knows you typically only turn on half your gas supply and sometimes even less than that!

Juz
At least I can reach my valves to turn it back on mind :D And we all know I dive in spite of my equipment, and I like to add to the challenge of the dive. As if diving with you wasn't challenge enough... ;)

Digs.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I just used my Ali80 as for a course as they wanted it done in a single - the Halcyon STA is weighted - and in fresh water in a shortie, no extra weight was needed. And it was empty(ish).. So I reckon you wouldn't need that much weight on a belt for 'normal' diving if you were wearing a ss backplate...

It trimmed out beautifully and was a pleasure to dive.

Dianne

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
As above i have dived single ali 12s in Egypt??? arnt they similar. You can dive anything. I once did a 30min dive on a single 3ltr. OK max depth 10m but its a dive.

Ali tanks are a strange anomaly to me. Nice when full, crap when empty. I cant understand their use as deco tanks but then people have much larger gas reserves than i am used to. I use an 80 for a bailout tank because I plan to never empty / use it. For single tank diving i'd do the usual. Get it to 30bar then sort out weighting. Fill with gas, go dive.

How much gas it holds is not relevant. You will do the dive you can do on the available gas supply.

In short, why the hell not.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
18,557 Posts

How much gas it holds is not relevant. You will do the dive you can do on the available gas supply.
Ahhh - but in this case the OP has a specific set of dives in mind, and therefore capacity is an issue in deciding if the tank is suitable. In other words, the dive is the constraint, the tank size is scopable.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Might be a bit of a pain in the bum to have to keep removing the stage rigging kit from it?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
[diasappointed mode on] Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thats a bit soon, we were just getting to enjoy this thread.............. /mode]

Dianne

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Don't worry Di we can look forward to diving one in the Redsea :D
I know Fi, but now we won't be privy to Mark & Lou's calculations & motivations not to mention Howard painfully removing his stage kit from his botty......
This could have been one of "those" threads ;)

Dianne

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
This could have been one of "those" threads ;)
Ok then, I've got a spare Faber 12 (steel). Can I use it as a bigger stage bottle than my Ali 7, or should I buy an AL80?

Get your teeth into that one :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts