YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

The Scuba Industry Trade Association (SITA) has been approached to see if it would be willing to assist divers travelling overseas by lobbying Airlines to improve the baggage allowance they offer to divers. Many Airlines already offer additional baggage allowance, at minimal cost, for Golfers and Skiers, but do not officially or unofficially make any concessions to divers.

SITA have been gathering signatures for a petition to submit to the Airlines. They aim to stress the number of divers travelling abroad to give credence to the request for additional baggage allowances. The petition has been sent to dive shops, clubs and has been available at recent dive shows. SITA aim to complete the petition in July and are looking for additional names to add.

Please help SITA and divers by downloading the petition and gathering as many signatures amongst your club.

The petition is available from the SITA website
SITA Petition

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

OK - Out of Cinque Diving Club, Hastings, East Sussex is on board. I will be gathering signatures at the Club tonight + will leave copies at the LDS (Hastings Diving Centre).

I have also forwarded the details to my good mate and fellow diver at Looe Divers to do the same + a request to forward on to any other clubs.

I will also send it out to all members of the local Wrecktech group.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ April 28 2004,12:33)]It's about time SITA presented this petition, it has been going for some time.
I was just chatting to my LDS and the main man said they had done a SITA petition "a few years ago"?

I wonder if it is it still the same one?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I think it was about a year ago and I guess it's the same one. Things have been very quiet for some time though, so I suspect they have been pretty passive. If a petition is to reap the desired result, it will have to be very big and supported by massive publicity. Diver's attempt to produce changes a few years ago, with the aid of BA, if I remember correctly, got nowhere. The topic never even got onto the agenda at IATA's meetings.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Yes this petition has been going for about a year. It is due to be closed off in July so they are having another push to publicise it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts