YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

take a peeps at www.uwdv.com.

It seems to be a fairly newish site but look promising.

How many people on here do any kind of UW video - I know that Daz does - who else?

Tim

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Cheers Tim,  good link will have a indepth read when I get chance.

and while we are on the subject I don't know if there is anyone in the media industry who can advise but I have been interested in making footage available for publication.  I realise that I am in no way a top class videographer but as happens when enough footage is shot,  I have ended up with some really nice digital video footage of some real interesting subjects.

I am not looking to make masses of money out of this (Anyone who gets into Underwater video and thinks it will pay for itself is kidding themselves  
) but it would be nice to make some of my footage available and maybe make a couple of quid out of it on the side.

Any ideas ?

Daz

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Same as  - getting the gear has cost FORTUNES which I'll never make back, but am pleased with some of my efforts.

Maybe some sort of YD compilation vid/DVD is in order?

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Building on Robs Idea,

Why not get together with a bunch of like-minded folk, share your footage and DIY?  It may not make the next series of Blue Planet but I guess people would like to see real footage of sites for their next trips / hols etc - distribute on VCD following an order keeps overheads down.

Get it branded by YD or the other web-sites and word of mouth will give you lots of product awareness.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Err... the latest couple of offerings won't fit on a VCD, but I don't mind burning off DVDs for interested takers.  I can buy blanks for a couple of quid a pop nowadays anyway.
Can supply in DVD-R or DVD+R for those as geeky-minded as me.

Who's got footage of what?
I'll start the list if you like -
Sound of Mull 2003 inc Hispania and er... that other one
Cyprus 2002 inc Zenobia (obviously) and a bunch of pretty swim-throughs
Coron, Philippines 2000 - mega wreck penetration job but a bit scruffy (older camera, little lighting, crap cameraman ie me)
I can also get a superb vid of the Bikini Atoll wrecks, but it's in NTSC and haven't figured out how to copy it onto PAL - all tips gratefully received.
Also got a bunch of Red Sea footage I've never got round to editing.

Normandy wrecks inc Lanfranc & Warilda coming mid July

Cheers
Rob

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Hey Rob,

I'd naturally assumed that we'd all spend all our monies on diving eqp and wouldn't stretch to DVD burners - but then I see you're a rebreather diver  

I'd be interested in the some of all of this - can you edit it all down so that footage of each could be fitted on 1 DVD?

I haven't been to any of these yet (although I WILL get to the Red Sea this year and Gav has talked me into getting up to the Clyde / Mull also) so would be interesting to see what you got.

What's your setup?

Tim

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Gotta have those toys mate
  Mmmmmm....shiny....

The Mull, Cyprus and Coron vids cheerfully fit onto a single DVD with room to spare for a couple more I'd guess - let me know & I'll send you a copy.  But if I show you mine you've got to show me yours

Setup is Sony PC6 camcorder in Ikelite housing with Ikelite 100w lamp.
Editing done on 1.8Ghz Athlon, 1Gb RAM, big ol' hard drive & Sony DRU500 burner.  You can get burners for around £150 if you avoid pisstakers like PC world.  I was shocked to find out that you can get 52-speed CD burners with software for £35 nowadays so me posh DVD job'll be given away with packets of cornflakes in a couple of years time..
Running XP Pro, editing done on Pinnacle Studio 8, flash stuff on HFX pro and Premiere 6 (the daddy, but not as easy to use as Pinnacle).

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

I'd happily share mine with anybody
but unfortunately haven't any 'mine' to share owing to a distinct lack of housing.  And, having recently splashed out on a sh*t load of diving eqp and digicam/housing this lack of video housing will stretch on for the foreseeable future - am monitoring the boards for a cheap 2ndhand one tho. but don't tell the wife.  It'd be for a Sony DCR-TRV25 (or something like that).

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Best of luck finding a cheap one - if you know anyone who's got specifically a Canon MV-1 or Optura 1 (American market) I've got a lovely Amphibico 100m-rated housing for it going very cheap. Flooded it last year and the camcorder's been discontinued so wasn't able to get a replacement.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Rob,

Well my setup is a Sony PC110 in a Gates housing.  Currently I am playing around with a HID lamp (Need a diffuser really) but may get a second one later on for a more even fill.

I use a Apple I-Mac and I-movie for editing (No DVD rewriter - Yet !)

I would be very interested in getting my finished masters put onto DVD (How much would you charge for this ?  -  I can supply the footage on DV tape.)

Currently I keep edited masters + good stock footage (all of the clips that are OK but may not have made it onto the edited masters).

Footage I have is as follows.

Philippines (Lots of little critters)
Porthkerris (Raglan reef, night dive etc..)
Thailand (Whale shark - Richelaeu Rock.)
Red Sea (Not edited yet - The Brothers, hammerheads etc)
Gozo (Lots !!)

I am sure I have forgotten something...

Daz

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ June 17 2003,18:49)]And, having recently splashed out on a sh*t load of diving eqp and digicam/housing
Hi Tim - what kind of digicam did you get?  Have you had a chance to try it out yet?  I'm assuming it's a stills camera?  I bought a Minolta digital camera with housing earlier this year and I am amazed with the results.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Hi Lesley

Was your camera the Dimage Xi with the 30m housing. As the other 1/2 & I one and it is BDG.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LesleySS @ June 18 2003,11:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ June 17 2003,18:49)]And, having recently splashed out on a sh*t load of diving eqp and digicam/housing
Hi Tim - what kind of digicam did you get?  Have you had a chance to try it out yet?  I'm assuming it's a stills camera?  I bought a Minolta digital camera with housing earlier this year and I am amazed with the results.
Take a peek at

My setup and a photo or two

1 - 13 of 13 Posts