YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

As you've seen from my other post regarding the sore arm, the doctor has said no diving for six weeks, after then would it be advisable to go and get a diving medical done ?

Could I do shallow dives <10M in about three weeks ?

Will I hit a wall where no one will want to dive with me as I could be viewed as being a risk cos I got bent ?  

Regards
Andy ( ancl )

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ancl @ April 17 2004,13:15)]Will I hit a wall where no one will want to dive with me as I could be viewed as being a risk cos I got bent ?  
<font color='#000080'>Chill, dont panic.

I will dive with you when your six weeks are up.  Until then i wouldnt go in the water.  There will be inflammation at the site which probably wont take well to being put under stress when you are lugging your kit around.
Seriously i would wait the 6 weeks.  If it was me i wouldnt enjoy the dive as i would be worried about getting another hit as the site of the old one hadnt healed properly.

I had my arm broken a couple of years ago (play fighting with a bloke....*blush*) right in the middle of the diving season.  I was seriously thinking about getting dry gloves so i could go in with the cast on, until someone pointed out that no-one would go in with me as i would be as much use as a chocolate fireguard in a rescue.  I know how frustraiting it is watching your mates go off in the boat.

I would phone your local medical referee regarding your medical.  I think from now on you will have to phone him/her and get them to endorse your medicals (if i remember right), but since it was a bend (and not a changable chronic condition like mine) i doubt very much they would want to see you every 3 or 5 years and a phone call will be fine.  Correct me if im wrong guys, it has been 3 years since my last medical and i cant remember....

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ancl @ April 17 2004,13:15)]As you've seen from my other post regarding the sore arm, the doctor has said no diving for six weeks, after then would it be advisable to go and get a diving medical done ?

Could I do shallow dives <10M in about three weeks ?

Will I hit a wall where no one will want to dive with me as I could be viewed as being a risk cos I got bent ?  

Regards
Andy ( ancl )
Stick out the six weeks and get back into it gradually.

Don't worry about any stigma from getting a bend.  There are divers who have been bent and those who might get bent,  at the end of the day it is a bit of a lottery, the more you dive the more your chance of getting a hit.  It ain't an exact science.  

I suspect there are quite a few who have had a mild case of DCI in the past and shrugged it off as a slight twinge or similar anyway.

If the attitude is correct it does not matter to me whether you have been bent or whether you wear a pink tutu under your drysuit,  I'll dive with you.

Daz

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Look at the print out of the dive that bit you. Pay attention to ascent rates especialy from 10 up

Think about your fitnes before the dive recent colds flue etc are important.

Did you  cough during the dive

Level of hydration is very important had you been drinking alcahol the night before etc.

Did you have high levels of exertion after the dive

If you cant find any reasions for the incident then some concern is warented. PFO's are a possable cause. BUT remember that the general rule of thumb in Hyperbaric medicin is whack the patient in the pot and see if he /she feels better after. It is not an exact sciance and breathing high PP02's can cure / improve a lot of conditions it dosent necessaraly mean you were bent. The treatment will get 02 to 02 sarved tissue and can help recovery of various injuries. Remember David Beckhams ankle.

When you go back for your check up they will tell you to take things easy and avoid agresive diving. This is obviously good advice and in the future you should pay special attention to slow (5min) ascents from the 6m stop and consider other things like deep stops to reduse the stress on the body of off gassing. It is common for DCI to repet occur in exactly the same place as before so special consideration should be given to any similar pain in the future.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Andy

Take the chambers advice and if that means a 6 week layoff so be it.  I had to have 4 weeks off when I was potted and I was going on a Redsea trip 5 weeks after the incident so I was really worried.  

If you are BSAC then you will need to see a medical referee, however, be carefull who you see, the one I went to see after about 30 seconds with a stethescope (can't spell) in hand diagnosed a PFO.  He said he could hear a mumour, probably not surprising really my heart was beating about 5 times faster than is should have.   He told me to be very careful as next time I might not live to dive again, beleive me I am not joking.  He did refer me just in case though so they can't be that certain in 5 mins.

I was supposed to be diving in Oban that weekend and the guys i was diving with said don't worry they would look after me, the first dive was to 30 metre and I am alive today (well think so anyway)  
.  Went on holiday no problems but still think about it.

I can now self certify myself but still choose to have a medical with a GP at our club every 3 years.  I do have both a letter and signature from Peter Wilmshurst just in case someone queries it.

Just think the water will be still there and that much warmer in 6 weeks  

Take care

Fiona

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Hi Fiona

Just joined a BSAC club, going to drop in on Sunday dive and speak to the diving officer and see what needs to be done from their perspective.

No point putting myself at risk, six weeks it is then.

Thanks for the replies and dive offers, just going to go and look at my new wing and twin set over a bud or six.

Andy ( ancl )

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Dear Andy

My offer to keep you busy filling cylinders still stands! At any rate, don't do anything you are not comfortable with, or go against your doctor's orders.

If he is happy to have you diving shallow dives at depths less than 10 meters, than so be it, but if he is happier to have you not dive at all for a while, well so be it!

Will keep you busy and amused on your holiday in any event :)

moray

G

·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ancl @ April 17 2004,13:15)]Will I hit a wall where no one will want to dive with me as I could be viewed as being a risk cos I got bent ?  
If there is a obvious reason for the bend then I wouldn't worry about it too much, nobody will worry too much about it in my experience, if there isn't an obvious one then I would be more concerned about myself that what others may think about me.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Andy see-saws and cold weather dont go well together when it comes to a hit. Assuming you were just unlucky and it isnt exactly an accurate science anyway then the six weeks layoff is essential so as to repair any damage. Do you have to go back to get their 'sign-off'? I would then ease myself back into diving with some shallow stuff, maybe at Stoney, just in case, I'm sure if you post you need a buddy for that you will get a good response off here and at your club, maybe join a few newbies doing the Ocean or something and offer to help out.

I think I'm fairly typical and I wouldnt stigmatise someone for getting a hit, its luck of the draw in a lot of ways.
Take care
Matt

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

The doctor at the chamber said I could return to diving after six weeks, he didn't say anything about going back for a checkup, to reassure myself I'll probably go and get a dive medical done.

I emailed the dive profile to the diving officer of the BSAC club I've just joined and had it explained to me what happened on the dive when I met up today.

I thought I was going to get kicked out of the club for this incident, but the D/O said once the six weeks is over, they'd take me back in the water, shallow at first, and help me with the problems I'd been getting in the water.

Also had offers from other people which I appreciate as well.

At least I've got six weeks to configure my wing and twinset ( just wonder if mrs.ancl will notice I've nicked her apeks first-stage for the other cylinder.... :)

Cheers
Andy ( ancl )

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

Sounds like the DO at your new club has a sensible attitude. I would say the same.

I would have no trouble diving with someone who had had a bend provided that they had the right attitude. There should be no stigma attached to a bend, it can happen to anyone even if they follow the tables and do everything right. All credit to you for sharing you experience,

Stay out of the water for the 6 weeks and then build up in shallow water, practice your skills and your ascents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts