YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often see groups of young chaps with skateboards in the park outside. This has made me wonder exactly what these things are for.
Are they a means of transport? No. Admitedly it must be difficult to walk when, like all skateboardists, your trousers hang precariously far down your bottom exposing your designer pants and the belt which should be rectifying this situation is somewhere near your knees. But rarely do these people travel any distance on their skateboards and they mostly seem to carry them unless the pavement is particularly crowded in which case they insist on riding at high speed, oblivious of the hords of pensioners diving out of their path (probably because their lank, greasy hair is hard to see through).

Are they a sports accessory? No. One look at the average skateboarderist will confirm that they are not exactly athletes. Perhaps it's the pasty skin, the stick thin limbs, or the glazed expression. But most telling is the fact that they spend so little time on the damn things. They stand on the board, move two metres, attempt to jump onto the edge of a raised flower bed, fail, fall over then slope off to repeat the process in another area of the park.

Am I getting old?:frown:

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I often see groups of young chaps with skateboards in the park outside. This has made me wonder exactly what these things are for.
Are they a means of transport? No. Admitedly it must be difficult to walk when, like all skateboardists, your trousers hang precariously far down your bottom exposing your designer pants and the belt which should be rectifying this situation is somewhere near your knees. But rarely do these people travel any distance on their skateboards and they mostly seem to carry them unless the pavement is particularly crowded in which case they insist on riding at high speed, oblivious of the hords of pensioners diving out of their path (probably because their lank, greasy hair is hard to see through).

Are they a sports accessory? No. One look at the average skateboarderist will confirm that they are not exactly athletes. Perhaps it's the pasty skin, the stick thin limbs, or the glazed expression. But most telling is the fact that they spend so little time on the damn things. They stand on the board, move two metres, attempt to jump onto the edge of a raised flower bed, fail, fall over then slope off to repeat the process in another area of the park.

Yes :D

although so must I be, because i understand everything you said. I simply don't understand the need to wear trousers which reveal the very part of the body they are supposed to hide :)

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Obviously.

I spent my childhood falling out of trees, falling in the river and clambering up cliffs. Then I went up market and did rock climbing, dingy racing and finally motorcycle racing. Utterly pointless. Motorcycle racing in particular is going round in circles to come 23rd out of 40. (best position in 25 years in a National race 7th.)

Frankly messing about on a skateboard sounds remarkably, safe, economic and harmless.

Stop being an old fogie. You'll be claiming diving is a mature, sensible hobby next. Heck we make trainspotters look reasonable and together.

·
Banned
53 Posts
My son and his friends had them about 10 years ago and new generations pick up on them again and again - :)

Luckily they didn't wear their trousers around their knees but that's just a mum talking :teeth:

Sally UK

·
Registered
401 Posts
Frankly messing about on a skateboard sounds remarkably, safe, economic and harmless.
Not strictly true - my brother lost the tips of his fingers after he ran over them with his skateboard.

Mind you, he was trying to use them as brakes at the time.....:frown:

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm from the 80's BMX and skateboard generation. Try it, you just might like it...
Would I have to wear the half mast trousers?:frown:

My son and his friends had them about 10 years ago and new generations pick up on them again and again - :)

Luckily they didn't wear their trousers around their knees but that's just a mum talking :teeth:

Sally UK
See? That's what miserable gits are for Tom. Protecting the youth of today from ridicule....or something...:embarassed:

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
OMG Frosty is that the unmistakable creaking noise of a Zimmer Frame preparing for launch!!

"......Who'd a thought we would be sitting here today drinking a bottle of Chateau De Chasilé........."

Regards
Midnight
(with apologies to Messrs. Cleese, Palin, Gilliam, Idle et al)

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
They help keep me in a job:embarassed:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I skateboarded for years and still have a couple, nearly broke my wrist not long back whilst drunk and skating home.. Made me think its probably about time I gave it up, I am 31..

I do see loads of lads with boards these days and there usually not skating or there useless. Maybe the dope is just stronger these days, or maybe I'm getting old too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
skateboards8

were around in the 70's as I ditched a boyfriend in 78 as he spent too much time larking round on one. and no skate parks around then!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts