YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm hoping to organise a club trip to SW Ireland next summer.
I've contacted a couple of dive centres one has replied with good prices but I have since been warned off using it as some of our members have had bad experiences with them.
Not sure I should "name names" here.
Does anyone have any recommendations for diving the Skelligs & other sites please?
Cheers, Lindsey

·
Just A Diver - Nothing Special
478 Posts
Lyndsey,

Have you tried sean at ballinskeligs diving center?

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Lyndsey,

Cheers

Nick
Same name I was going to give.

Nice guy. A very...erm....realxed approah to exacly what you might dive or if you will, but that's Ireland! The phrase "naahhh, da weather's shoite" has been widely used by us since we went there :D

·
Just A Diver - Nothing Special
478 Posts
Never actually dived with him - but have met him on quite a few occasions.

Personally - have found him a sound bloke. haven't really heard of any bad experiences either.

I have family just up the road from him too - so next time i'm over there for a visit - i'll check him out :)

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hi all,
I've contacted a couple of dive centres one has replied with good prices but I have since been warned off using it as some of our members have had bad experiences with them.
Does anyone have any recommendations for diving the Skelligs & other sites please?
Cheers, Lindsey
If it is the one I think you mean as organiser I threatened to chuck the skipper in the harbor just his heels on the harbor edge with me round his throat dangling him!, he banned us from diving with him, so we all insisted we got our money back (Which we did). He would not put a shot line down or anchor so the less able of our party could descend safely, one of the lady divers nearly popped her ear drum trying to get down on the top of the Skelligs in a bad current.

When I organised the trip I asked specifically if it was suitable for all levels of divers, he said it was and then when we had the problem he tried to say it was only for experienced divers, hence the early bath for him!.

The diving is good much like the Farnes , the people are very friendly and Southern Island is brilliant, just the skipper who was a total tosser.:frown:

·
Jammer Six was a wannabe
1,342 Posts
Valentia Island Sea Sports, PADI diving courses and diving charters off the Kerry coast Martin and Sandra Moriarty . Cant recommend them highly enough. 4O` Lochin and 9m rhib. Valentia island is accessed by ferry and bridge. Fery from Cahirciveen. Tell them Jack Purcell put you in touch. Martin is coxn on Valentia Island RNLI . Martin does`nt generally put a shot in, he brings you to sites to accomodate the experience of the divers. So let him know. Some great sites around Valentia itself. Skelligs is a day trip with spare tanks for 2nd dive.
More info ............
valENTIA island - Google Search

·
Banned
18 Posts
Skelligs

methinks ray is taking the piss-or worse lying. Every single page of Ballinskelligs brochure says it is only for the experienced and positively discourages inexperienced divers. Look on Link Removed. and see for yourself.

There are no currents at the Skelligs and I have never seen a shot line there.He drops most people at the Skelligs in 10m so how on earth did that idiot blow an eardrum......

I also booked a dive trip for 21 people with Sean last August and to put it mildly he is patient and helpful. We had four trainees and he even found a site at the Skelligs for them!

You must have been really acting the maggot for him to throw you off his boat.I know he is a very successful publisher during the winter and he would certainly give you your money back when ordering you from his boat without you ever asking. What puzzles me is exactly what you did to drive a laid back easygoing skipper to tell you to leave the centre. I can say that you are lying when you say you threatened him with violence-do you know he was a university ju jitsu champion in his college days so I assume is well capable of handling any threat. Mind you if you are the type to threaten somebody I would not ban you from a boat-I would throw you off. Get a life and dont give us Brits a lager lout reputation.

I am sending him a link to your comment but from what I know of him he would not bother with it. Joe

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Lyndsey,

Cheers

Nick
I dived with Sean too. Many years ago. Likes his Southern Comfort!!

He arranged pretty much everything for us in terms of accomodation, gas and I think the ferry as well.

I'd be happy to use him again.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
methinks ray is taking the piss-or worse lying. Every single page of Ballinskelligs brochure says it is only for the experienced and positively discourages inexperienced divers. Look on Link Removed. and see for yourself.

There are no currents at the Skelligs and I have never seen a shot line there.He drops most people at the Skelligs in 10m so how on earth did that idiot blow an eardrum......

I also booked a dive trip for 21 people with Sean last August and to put it mildly he is patient and helpful. We had four trainees and he even found a site at the Skelligs for them!

You must have been really acting the maggot for him to throw you off his boat.I know he is a very successful publisher during the winter and he would certainly give you your money back when ordering you from his boat without you ever asking. What puzzles me is exactly what you did to drive a laid back easygoing skipper to tell you to leave the centre. I can say that you are lying when you say you threatened him with violence-do you know he was a university ju jitsu champion in his college days so I assume is well capable of handling any threat. Mind you if you are the type to threaten somebody I would not ban you from a boat-I would throw you off. Get a life and dont give us Brits a lager lout reputation.

I am sending him a link to your comment but from what I know of him he would not bother with it. Joe
Hmmm 13 posts all today between 3am to 7am all on very old threads, methinks we have a troll in our midst!.

or more likely a total Plonker.

I have never mentioned any names so how come he came up with the name of a certain skipper, and the ju jitsu stuff I would like you to no I have a black belt in origami!.

And there not being any currents or tidal movement round the Skelligs, who are we dealing with here, he's fcucked in the head.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I dived with Sean too. Many years ago. Likes his Southern Comfort!!

He arranged pretty much everything for us in terms of accomodation, gas and I think the ferry as well.

I'd be happy to use him again.
On the other hand, he cancelled our trip a week before we were due to go because we hadn't paid our deposit. We <b>had</b> sent a load of emails beforehand asking how to pay it. Very bad taste left in the mouth and I'll never give him any of my money..

·
Jammer Six was a wannabe
1,342 Posts
Hi all,
Cheers, Lindsey
So Lindsey, did you get there in the end and who did you use?

·
Banned
18 Posts
maybe it was my mistake but I certainly thought from your comment that you had threatened a skipper from Ballinskelligs in Ireland with throwing him in the water.As it happens last August I was part of a group who dived on the only two dive boats there and know both skippers well. If I picked you up wrongly then mea culpa.
I dont know about the rest of the rubbish you are talking about-perhaps you discovered new currents etc at the Skellig Islands and if you did then you can certainly share a whole new experience with everybody else. If you ever did dive there then you certainly know that there are no currents. Anyway from the eloquent language you use I am not surprised a skipper, not neccessarily in Ireland barred you from his boat. If I had one I would ban you just because of a foul mouth whether you could dive or not. Have a nice day. Joe

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
maybe it was my mistake but I certainly thought from your comment that you had threatened a skipper from Ballinskelligs in Ireland with throwing him in the water.As it happens last August I was part of a group who dived on the only two dive boats there and know both skippers well. If I picked you up wrongly then mea culpa.
I dont know about the rest of the rubbish you are talking about-perhaps you discovered new currents etc at the Skellig Islands and if you did then you can certainly share a whole new experience with everybody else. If you ever did dive there then you certainly know that there are no currents. Anyway from the eloquent language you use I am not surprised a skipper, not neccessarily in Ireland barred you from his boat. If I had one I would ban you just because of a foul mouth whether you could dive or not. Have a nice day. Joe
Your the one with all the reds, I rest my case (allegedly):thumbsdow .

·
Registered
225 Posts
SW Ireland

Hi not been for some time but great people great diving and great Guinness.
Skelligs are over rated better diving of Moylorn off Caherdaniel.
Be careful some boats don't pick you up till 1pm as they are doing other charters in the morning and you won't be back in till 9pm!

Tez

1 - 15 of 15 Posts