YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
18,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hah!  Booked the first holiday of the year and it is a week at the start of June to......the west coast of Ireland.  Some R&R, some guinness and, hopefully, a couple of days of quality diving.

We have booked a cottage in Ballinskellig where I know one dive outfit runs from.  Has anyone used them, or any others in the area?

Any other info, trip reports or similar that you could share with me?  I have the impression that, weather permitting, there is some fine diving and excellent viz, if a little fast!

Cheers

Lou

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lou,

You jammy sod!!!

I picked up a brochure on the Skelligs ('The Jewel in Ireland's Crown') at the last Brum Dive Show and was well impressed. I've not dived there - yet!

Here's what I have off the 'Ballinskelligs Watersports' brochure:

TEL: +353 66 947 9182
FAX: +353 66 947 9303

" Dives are in the 15 to 25 metre range.

Air = £2.80 per cylinder

Cylinder Hire: The hire price includes two cylinders per day when required and costs £22 for 12 litre and £28 for 15 litre. For those requiring only one cylinder for the week, the cost is £12 for 12l and £15 for 15l.

The nearest wreck is that of the 'Skye Maid' in a depth of 25 metres. She's a 50 foot trawler which sank in Ballinskelligs Bay in September 1997 is now well covered in sea-life. The good news is she's only 5 minutes in a RIB away.

You've also got the 'Kowloon Bridge' in between 15 to 45 metres of water. Also a U class submarine in 40 metres with its conning hatch still open. Dives to both these sites can be organised through us.

Basking Sharks are regularly seen as are schools of dolphins and, even more rare, whales!!! Seals are a very common sight at the Skelligs.

Apart from two dive sites, currents are pretty well non-existent so there is no rush to be at a dive site at slack water.

SMB's are not used, although a DSMB whilst doing stops is useful. This is 'stress-free' diving.

Imagine no blob, no shot-line, no dawn starts and the waters of the Gulf Stream cleaning and warming everything to give you super viz - paradise!!! "

They also have a pretty impressive testimonials page with quotes and praise from divers all over the UK and abroad.

Hope this helps and I can't wait to read your trip report when you guys get back. Please take some photies too and we can get them on the Gallery board.

Jammy gits! ;)

· Registered
18,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

That's the green brochure/leaflet isn't it?  We picked that up to and it was what sold us on the area.  However in a fit of clearing out we binned it just after Christmas so we booked Ballinskellig from memory of that!  Thanks for writing it out for me, Bren.

It does sound fan-dabby-dozy, that's for sure - and I will definitely write a report if we do get some dives in.

I was wondering if anyone had some first hand expereince they would share with me, just in case this guy has less of a gleaming record than suggested!

Cheers

Lou (aka Jammy git apparently)

· Snap Happy
2,759 Posts
Imported post

Hey Lou,

Nice One.  From what I've read of the Skelligs, its bloody excellent.

I hope to dive over here in Ireland fairly soon - I'm in the fair Isle as I write this.  My line manager is a diver and lives in Cork so I'm hoping to get down with him sometime.

Anyway,  we'll all be waiting for the visit report.

Tim

· Banned
1,380 Posts
Imported post

A bunch of us spent a week diving the Skelligs a few years ago and had a bloody brilliant time.  If you're diving with Sean (who I think is Ballinskelligs Watersports) you'll be fine.  The vis is exceptional - we were getting at least 30m, the scenery's great (above and below water), there's masses of life including seals, the people are friendly, the Guinness is great, the pace of life is seriously chilled (don't expect to be in the water much before midday), basically I can't recommend the place enough.
Dunno if he still does it, but Sean gave us all a 'shake-down' dive when we first arrived - this involved a nice 14m max dive around a rocky outcrop with lots of surge from the wave action - brilliant dive, lots of fun ducking in & out of the current and nice & shallow too.
Do feel free to visit nearby Caherciveen, if only to experience the hugely satisfying thrill of finding a pub in a hardware store.

If the weather behaves, you'll have a ball.  If the weather's crap, there's this terrific pub.....

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

So, along with Lou & Caroline making a bid for the border; and Rob's no-holds-barred recommendation of the gaff; and our stated desire to dive off the Donegal coast, it rather looks like we've got back to the stage that Tim suggested some time ago when we were trying to the get the Angelsey gig off the ground.

Right, that does it: Skelligs is now getting put into the YD Dive Calendar!! Please await more details. We may not get the 40 divers we've got for Angelsey, but 10 or 12 of us going large there will make a for a top gig.

A show of hands for June please? And Tim, seeing as you broached the subject 1st, do you fancy taking the reins vis-a-vis organising the gig? Either a week or a long weekend? 'The Craic', top diving and a YD crowd on the Jazz? Please show me where it gets better than this whilst not being naked?

Right, who's up for it?? You know it makes sense.

· Registered
18,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

How about I suggest a date....the week commencing the 7th June perhaps - then we can meet you there and add 2 to your numbers to book out his MV Flying Horse, which looks the biz!!

· Snap Happy
2,759 Posts
Imported post

Ah so we're back to this.

I'm more than happy to organise a gig.

Not on-line much at the mo what with the new job an' all so bear with me.

We'll go for the week Lou suggested and I'll post on the planned trips section.  Anybody reading this can jump in now of course.

Tim  

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

Go for it Tim mate.

I look forward to your labours appearing in the Planned Trips section. LARGE IT!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.