YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I did a Google Search on Lord Athlumney and the Y-D website came up but I had to register to access it.  I'm not a diver but would like any information on this ship which sank in 1887.

I would also like information as to which wrecks in the Skerries area were Red Star Line vessels.

Thanks very much in anticipation.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Terry & Elfyn,

Can you help here? You've probably dived the beast more times than soft-****.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Further to my earlier enquiry, I've searched the internet about the Red Star Line and the only wreck listed for Anglesey is the Waesland which sank on 5 March 1902 after a collision with the Harmonides.  Can anyone confirm this?

Would greatly appreciate any info on the Lord Athlumney, please, as requested earlier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Reply to Heads Up:  You must be joking !  Me, slim?  Repeat - I'm not a diver - just looking for info on a couple of wrecks off the Skerries.

·
Anglesey Charter boat Skipper
1,033 Posts
Imported post

yep no problem bren
right  the Lord Athlumley did sink in 1887 on the 4th of june.
she was an iron paddle steamer of around 230 ft long  and was owned by the Drogheda Steam PacketCo Ltd.
she had on board at the time a general cargo, passengers and cattle.
in wind conditions south force 2 she hit coal rock a rocky pinnicle  which is just awash at low tide ,around a mile off shore  and founderd on it.
she is one of our charter dives and lies from around 6m to 24m on a steep rocky slope well broken up.

As for the Waesland which was reported as going down on
the 5th of march 1902,as far as i know it didn't sink.
this was a large ship nearly 440ft long so the chances of it going undiscovered off this coast are slim.
Since the average depth at low water is 46m in the area if it  had sunk you would find it easily just by looking for the surface disturbance caused by tide ripping around it.
she did have a claim to fame as she was the last Cunard  Liner to have a "clipper bow" and held the east bound Blue Riband from jully 1867 until December 1869.

i have all charted hydrographic details for the surposed  area and nothing matches the size of this ship to charted positions

however the reported position of sinking could be wildly out which is common for these waters.
hope this helps.
a letter to Lloyds of London might reveal her final fate
cheers elfyn

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

yellow butty box
your knowlage of this area is obviously vast, we dive out of anglelsey regulaly and would appreciate info and more importantley good gps co-ordinates for some recks,

purchased scott watermans book, angalesey wrecks, whitch i thaught was a good book, but his co-ordinates dont match up with the actual wrecks

you dive out of amlock?  do you rember john and the illusion?

·
1,033 Posts
Imported post

oh yes i do ya mean john "the enemy" shaw

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

lol  yup

dived off the illusion about 2/3 years ago and it was an illusion of a dive boat, he had the sump pump running all the time, pumping out leaks, one of the divers enquired if it was the coolent water, we said yes so as not to worry her, is he still going?

dived of scotts boat the quest out of the mennine a few times, but he has a look but dont touch policy, he even got really upset when one diver pulled up an edible crab for the pot, think he would have an heart attack if you came up with a porthole

we have our own rib now and are just getting a feel for the local wrecks, so any info/ co-ordinates would be appreciated

·
1,033 Posts
Imported post

yep john is still going he's bought a fast cygnus cyfish nice boat though he rarely does divers only anglers.
there use to be a standing joke about the "illusion" that you could'nt hear him on the vhf radio above the din of gribble worm munching on the wooden hull.
as for wreck numbers we are planning on producing a wreck diving guide for Anglesey .
the plan is to produce it in a binder with fully waterproof sheets it will cover only sport diving depths and will include transits,GPS positions ,slack times ,launch sites and hazards if any.
keep your ears peeled.
we feel people capable of doing the deeper wrecks don't need a guide and should be doing there own homework.
cheers elfyn

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Letter from Lloyds reveals that waesland still appeared on Register for a couple of years after collision so if the vessel was wrecked it wasn't around here or on that date.
There was another big liner went aground on Coal Rock- Began with "H", I'll dig around. Anyway, that floated off on next High-water.
-7500t Booth Liner, Hilary    09/04/1939

theshipslist.com shows that SS Abbotsford was RED-STAR Liner.
This is one of our Novice dives in 15m near Wylfa Power-station. Heavily salvaged and splattered- sank19/07/1875.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

so i take it the rowan oak wont be in the guide lol

whats your opinion on scotts book?

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Scott's book achieved the objective- ie: it made Andy & himself a wad of dosh.

Haven't bothered to check his numbers against ours so don't know how accurate they are.
Would imagine book two will have Rowan Oak, Missouri, Asmund, Oria, Kirkmicheal, Lady Meath, Liverpool, Dakota, Pamella .... dunno how I know...just guessing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

so can i have some co-odinates please, angalsey diver and yellow buttybox must have them all, i want to organise some rib diving to wrecks, but need reliable co-ordinates

please pm me if you dont want to publisize co-ordinates, we tend to launch from bull bay, mennine, and treurder

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Can I first of all thank those who have responded to my enquiries regarding the mysterious Red Star Line wreck and also the Lord Athlumney.  Special mention for Anglesey Diver and Yellow Butty Box.

I assumed that the Red Star Line wreck was the Waesland because it said so in The Ships List and the Great Ocean Liners websites.  But two of you have cast doubts which is backed up by Ivor Wynne Jones' book Shipwrecks of North Wales which says it "collided" rather than "wrecked" or "sank".
I am also making other enquiries.  It was also suggested by you that the ship might be the Abbotsford.  However The Ships List says this was chartered for 7 journeys by Red Star in 1873-4 but it didn't sink until 1875.  So another question mark here at the moment.

With regard to the Lord Athlumney, thanks to YBB (Elfyn) for the information - Holyhead Maritime Museum have some information as well on this wreck that they are going to send me.

Thanks again, Yorkshire Divers.  If you have anything further to add don't hesitate to let me know.

·
1,033 Posts
Imported post

sorry steve k can't help you with your request,you'll have to do your own homework like the rest of us.
cheers elfyn

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]sorry steve k can't help you with your request,you'll have to do your own homework like the rest of us.

although i am not supprised at your responce i am disapointed
is it that you are protecting your wrecks?
or that you dont want to share your knowlage?

what i dont understant is the mentalaty behind divers who protect there co-ordinates like gold, i could understand you not sharing a wreck you are activley diving for (treasure)
but not to help out fellow divers with commanley known wrecks, this i find a verry selfish attitude

we are a very small group who would be of no threat to your buisness, and of no threat to the wrecks, we have info on a few of the locl wrecks, but as you well know local knowlage can be far more usefull than books and other info, unles of course your book will include all this?

i have dived from numerous charter boats arround angelsey over the last few years, from this i have learned that there are plenty of wrecks out there that are little more than small mounds of scrapp and that the tidal windows can vary a lot, from what you would expect if you work out tides.

on our oban trip last year, a phone call to puffin divers, gave us tides/diving windows for our requested wrecks and they even volentered other wrecks for alternatave dives, for this puffin divers gained a lot of respect, and i would recoment there outfit to anybody

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

will dive anything up to about 50m but would like info on anything in the 10-35 range

also i have a caravan with a slip into the mennine and would like to build up a list of dives arround this area, just have the hoveringham, for example this was about 1/2 mile differance to the co-ordinates in scotts book

we did i reef out of south mennine (our planed dive to the mona was blown out) it was about 15m to the top and droped off to about 35m do you know this reef?
found careg hen on the chart, but i dont rember it being that far up?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

sorry the picture is a bit fuzzy, had to reduce the size conciderably to fit it in the upload spec, could host it and post you the link

1 - 20 of 21 Posts