YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok skippers,

You've got boats, and a decent range. so those of you with more than a 12 mile range :) have a think about this
BBC News - Presenter Dan Snow's bid to rescue tourists halted
Who's available??
there are divers the other side of the channel and Monday isn't usually a busy day :)
Just thinking, if we know skippers home ports and ranges i.e. which french port they can get to, we may be able to sort out a monday for some skippers and a homeward journey for some people.

B

·
Has been out of the water too long....
76 Posts
Well I like the idea of the "Dunkerque spirit", unfortunately I don't own a boat and I'm not a skipper. Not a lot of people in this day and age seem keen to put themselves out and help others in need.

My range would have to be a great deal further to "rescue" the relatives I currently have stuck trying to get back to the UK (Switzerland and Afghanistan!) - doubt anyone on here would be able to help on that front

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
If the 'stranded' can get to Calais then I believe they have boats that make the crossing on a regular basis, I think they are called ferrys or there is even a train that goes under the sea...I know...under the sea...

Or am I missing something?
I have to say, this is something that has been slightly confusing me too! Foot passenger is apparently difficult, but even buying a pushbike allegedly gets you around that, and the Eurostar is running. Blan is getting back from Sweden via train & car. It just takes some effort. Apart from that there shouldn't really be an excuse for getting stuck in Europe. It is only a very recent thing to fly to most places in Europe after all.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
As I understand it the Eurostar people are running 10 additional trains today and 4 tomorrow although the normal services are booked up this should help some.

Think the Ferrys are booked solid until Tuesday or Wednesday.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
If you're stuck in northern France, there's probably not much of an issue getting back if you need to (though even there it's likely people will have to pay for the ferry / Eurostar themselves).

Elsewhere, I guess it depends on how desperately you need to get back. As I understand it, the people who are abandoning flights are making various weird and wonderful trips across Europe tend to be doing it under their own steam, and their own cash - additional expense which won't be covered by a lot of travel insurance policies, so I can see people's reluctance to start making their own way around. I can't imagine I'd be happy to spend £hundreds trying to get home when I've already paid for a flight, if I wasn't sure I'd be able to get that money back.

The only thing that would really bother me would be the uncertainty - if someone could say "yep, no flights until Thursday", I'd happily find a hotel and enjoy a few more days holiday. If they keep saying "we might go soon, wait at the airport" then yes, I would get annoyed very quickly and start looking for new ways to travel.

David

·
Cake Monitor
1,139 Posts
Not surprised about that with a Paris/London single now costing £250 instead of the normal £70
Tell me about it, I'm not at all happy. On Thursday I'm supposed to be meeting my partner in Tehran where he's posted, and with flights looking increasingly unlikely I've just looked into going by train. £250 to Paris, then at least another £300 plus to get as far as Istanbul, what a total rip-off, there's no way I can afford that. How can a train be more expensive than flying?

Oh, and the part that could still be done by air, but the part I've done on rail before, the four day Istanbul to Tehran Trans Asia Express? £40 each for a sleeper, including some of the meals. Why can't THAT be the part of the journey I'd have to do by rail?

The only thing that would really bother me would be the uncertainty
You're right there David. I have a nasty feeling that if I travel by land to Tehran, which would take a week, I'd still be en route just as flights were re-opened and I could have saved myself a week's travel!

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Tell me about it, I'm not at all happy. On Thursday I'm supposed to be meeting my partner in Tehran where he's posted, and with flights looking increasingly unlikely I've just looked into going by train. £250 to Paris, then at least another £300 plus to get as far as Istanbul, what a total rip-off, there's no way I can afford that. How can a train be more expensive than flying?
it isn't more expensive to run the train. However, basic economic theory says that you increase the price to reduce demand until it equals supply therefore your profits are maximised.

Sadly, you are one of the purchasers who may choose not to buy at a given price thus poving the theory :(

The problem is that travel companies are in the business of making profits.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I have a nasty feeling that if I travel by land to Tehran, which would take a week, I'd still be en route just as flights were re-opened and I could have saved myself a week's travel!
Although, from the reports in the papers this weekend, this eruption could last for weeks/months, and there is a much larger more dangerous volcano right next to this one which could start erupting at any moment (according to the Telegraph)

·
Cake Monitor
1,139 Posts
Although, from the reports in the papers this weekend, this eruption could last for weeks/months, and there is a much larger more dangerous volcano right next to this one which could start erupting at any moment (according to the Telegraph)
Yeah, I'd read about that too and it's definitely a concern.

It's a tough call because of the visa situation. It wouldn't be like getting stranded in Europe or America where you could simply enjoy an extended holiday; there is a strictly limited time that I can stay in Iran, after which I'll have to leave the country somehow, whether or not I can get back to the UK.

I shouldn't complain, there have been so many times when it's been lovely having a partner in the diplomatic service, and we've visited many amazing places together, but when we're forcibly separated like this and missing each other, I can't help wishing he was an accountant in the local bank. :(

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
The Rhib crossings have been stopped by the French - But then Seafrance was close to going under and as its part state owned is that a surprise? They are far from the only boats in operation, just too much publicity for their own good. Some charter boats are doing OK :) and if they are MCA Coded with a qualified crew why not? Amateur rhib crews maybe another issue.

Yup a push bike is a veh and goes through the vehicle lanes. They usually don't take foot passengers through the nite but have done so.

All the operators charge rip of rates for on the day bookings :(

The queue for the ticket office's in Calais was 3 hours long the other day and there were 170 coaches waiting to go through the Immigration Controls.

When you get all of say the Korean Airlines passengers coming through an Immigration Control with only 8 desks and 5 officers to man them things slow down.

Edit: For those that dont know i'm an Immigration Officer who works in Calais :eek:

Reactions: Lou

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
Yea "Gordon comes to the rescue" having cut the Navy mercilessly over past few years he doesn't hesitate to use them as an election gimmick.

I notice HMS Albion is being used for troops rather than holiday makers - that's because the flat bottomed barge wallows like a pig and will be covered in puke within about five minutes!

and where are they going to put civilians on Ark Royal? - not exactly kitted out for passengers

pure publicity stunt by the government.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts