YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is all over hotdeals but just in case you haven't seen it and are a tightwad like me.

Phone up Sky just now and say you want cancel and they'll offer you a refurbed Sky+ box with installation etc. 12 month warranty for free.

The tenner a month Sky+ subscription is being dropped from 1st July and they'll also give you a 20 quid credit to cover you up to then.

They might hum and haw a bit but stick to your guns and insist you want to speak to the cancellations dept. Even if you do 'cancel' they'll phone you back and offer you the deal.

They'll also try and tempt you with a new box with a bigger hard drive for 49 quid.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I guess they wouldn't offer us this as we are still within the 12 month contract, but does it mean that from 1st July we can buy a Sky + box and just connect it in place of our Sky box and get Sky + features?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sky +

I guess they wouldn't offer us this as we are still within the 12 month contract, but does it mean that from 1st July we can buy a Sky + box and just connect it in place of our Sky box and get Sky + features?
Thats a negative i'm afraid.

You need a extra cable fitting to the sky dish cos the sky + box needs two.

Also it needs a different security code sending down the phone line from Sky HQ to activate the box. This is to stop you moving it around and it will only work from your home address.

I know this cos i had it fitted myself last week.

·
You can't kill an idea...
373 Posts
The tenner a month Sky+ subscription is being dropped from 1st July and they'll also give you a 20 quid credit to cover you up to then.
Is this true for current Sky+ subscribers?

Do you know if we have to do anything to ensure we get this reduction?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
crikey... i would do that, but I had a big row with them last week, over how much i pay monthly for Sky so i am too scared - I don't want to lose Sky!

if I 'cancel', I would be straight back to ordinary channels until they sort it out, wouldn't I?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
We phoned them earlier - they didn't say anything about the extra cable. Hmmmmm. They did say if we bought a Sky + box from elsewhere we just needed to phone them to get it activated though.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
You do need a double cable I'm afraid. The LNB (the thing the size of a coke can on your satellite dish) has a single cable coming from it to your box in the living room. Sky+ needs 2 cables, one for watching and one for the recording bit, they actually fit a quad LNB so you can easily upgrade to having 2 Sky+ boxes at the same time (both using 2 connections each).

If you want to buy a 2nd hand box, you will also need the new LNB (unless you are lucky and your current one is a double) and a 2nd cable. If you do upgrade to Sky+ when they fit it, ask them to leave your existing cable in place and ask them to wire it into the LNB and you can then use your existing Sky box in another room to get all the freeview channels ;)

I got mine for free for recommending a friend to sign upto sky and as I already have sports and films I don't have to pay the extra tenner anyway.

Arfie

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Just realised the house we have bought and will move into on 1st July - fingers crossed - already has Sky + so presumably has that LNB thingy fitted. Hence the cheapo Sky + box option looks like a go-er!

Cheers all.

Lou

·
Registered
71 Posts
sky+ free

Thanks for the tip.I called today and got the sky+ for free deal with no £10 monthly charge and they are fitting it on Wednesday.So thanks for sharing the information.Richard.

·
Registered
588 Posts
This is all over hotdeals but just in case you haven't seen it and are a tightwad like me.

Phone up Sky just now and say you want cancel and they'll offer you a refurbed Sky+ box with installation etc. 12 month warranty for free.

They might hum and haw a bit but stick to your guns and insist you want to speak to the cancellations dept. Even if you do 'cancel' they'll phone you back and offer you the deal.

They'll also try and tempt you with a new box with a bigger hard drive for 49 quid.

we tried to canceled the other day. Now the footy is finished they said we need to give 28 days notice plus they wanted our paid for sky plus box back . no sign of free bee's

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Just realised the house we have bought and will move into on 1st July - fingers crossed - already has Sky + so presumably has that LNB thingy fitted. Hence the cheapo Sky + box option looks like a go-er!

Cheers all.

Lou
Assuming the seller doesn't take it with them!!!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tip.I called today and got the sky+ for free deal with no £10 monthly charge and they are fitting it on Wednesday.So thanks for sharing the information.Richard.
You're welcome. Ours was fitted today and I'm looking forward to recording 2 hours of Lost tonight and watching it at my leisure with all the blooming adverts ffw through.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts