YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i'm off to Skye shortly. I'm hoping some time will be spent under the water but that depends on others. If i get to go it will be becuase a the club who are already booked to dive have a spare space ( so may the diving gods be kind ).

However, going with a non diving partner and wonder what there is to do on the surface? Especially anything riding related?

·
dedicated shirker
1,052 Posts
there is an otter sanctuary. and sky batiks had a cool shop near there too if ya like groovy clothes or for partner. and loads of hills to walk in

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
Ok, i'm off to Skye shortly. I'm hoping some time will be spent under the water but that depends on others. If i get to go it will be becuase a the club who are already booked to dive have a spare space ( so may the diving gods be kind ).

However, going with a non diving partner and wonder what there is to do on the surface? Especially anything riding related?
Portree is the place for "things to do", as it's probably the most populated part of Skye. Large ish Coop etc., if you go along the east coast there's also more places to visit.

Diving may be out of Uig, which is where the YD trip last year dived from, even though we stayed in Duntulum, northern part of the island.

Scenery is beautiful, enjoy.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
The tourist office in Portree will be your best bet for riding info.
It is /Was in the old prison overlooking the harbour

·
Armchair diver and slummy mummy
592 Posts
Skye is gorgeous. We're going on John's trip in August, but have taken one place between the 2 of us, so that one of us can look after baby Cameron each day. Some of my friends (definitely one, working on another one) are going too and the person not diving each day will do some sightseeing and easy walking and going to the pub. I've been to Skye twice before and enjoyed it both times. The tourist info place in Portree is your best bet, or just google riding and Skye and see what you get.

Hope you have a great time. I know that we will!

Josie

·
Go Big or Go Home
1,865 Posts
the new bridge is nice an engineering marvel,on the whole its one of those rally beautiful places that makes you wonder what life is all about i love it

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
The Tallikser distillery and the micro-brewery at the ferry at Uig are also well worth a trip (and a snooze in the car afterwards) :).

Kilt rock - with its upward waterfall (when the wind blows) is a good site.

Just away from Skye around the corner is the village of Plockton - Hamish Macbeth was filmed there and a damned fine pub lunch can be had. Palm trees abound.

Duntulm castle (albeit a ruin) is a nice and windswept place. If you are BSACy and manly you can snorkel the Rhodesia from there. :)

If you can brave the tourist buses - Eilean Donnan castle on the mainland is a great site - bits of Highlander was filmed there.

There is (or at least there was) a curry houue in Portree (the Gandhi???) which has a tartan carpet that has to be seen to be believed. :)

But basically it is big, big scenary - the views and the walks are fantastic.

Hope you have a great time.

Simon

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
There are Seal boat trips out of Uig. Portree is a nice Village to visit, with local shops and pubs.

I guess that you'll be diving out of Stein on the Waternish Penninsular. Its a nice part of the Island, near Dunvegan Castle. To the south the Cullins are nice but not for the faint hearted and not to be taken lightly without climbing/walking knowledge. For the less initiated, the two McCloud Tables to the SW of Dunvagan are nice for a day out. Please take a map, and compass, sensible clothes, waterproofs and the know how of how to use them.

There are some beautifull seashell beaches, on the NW side of the Island. Others have mentioned the Distillaries, and visiter attractions. Best to contact the Tourist Centre. Remember they are national so you can either ring them before you go and they'll send leaflets, or talk to a local Tourist Office who can do the legwork for you.

In Stein there is a nice pub and a lovely Seafood Resturant. The diving on the Island is mainly from Stein and Dive-and-sea-Hebridean. Gordon has a lovely old School house where he, his wife and two boys live. You will stay in the other half where its very comfy with lovely kitchen, living room and bunk house style rooms. He has his own compressor and you board the boat from the slip down on the beach. Its in Loch Lochy bay, which has some nice Scallop diving.

Have a nice time.

p.s. searching for 'Horse Riding Skye' gave lots of links. :thumbsup:

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the ideas, not sure about the burning effigy though. Any one been to the Three Chimneys?

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas, not sure about the burning effigy though. Any one been to the Three Chimneys?
Oh yes - another place I have snoozed outside after a good and liquid lunch :embarassed: Quite pricey though. Quite close to Dunvegan.

If you fancy a walk after a lunch near there after a good lunch then you can walk down to the lighthouse at Neist Point. Just off Neist point is the wreck of the Doris which is worth a dive. We used to do it on large training trips by sending kit round in the boat from the same launch site as the Chadwick and get folk to walk down in their suits from the car park above the lighthouse. It maximised the number of folk you could get on it on any given slack.

Simon

·
Armchair diver and slummy mummy
592 Posts
Not been to the restaurant but have heard that it is fantastic. I remembered that the first time I went to Skye (11 years ago) we took a boat trip from Dunvegan out to see the seal colony. It was fantastic, although I was very nervous about getting into the little boat. This time hopefully I'll be diving with seals!!

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Josie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts