YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Writing on a slate seems to take for ever.  I thought it might be useful to write some standard words/phrases/smilies to point at.

I know this isn't an original idea, so has anyone got any suggestions for useful things to "pre-print"?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Not at the moment but I do remember seeing one useful hint on TV - attract buddies attention and then point at your eye, the your left breast and then your backside. Means - I left tit behind.

Made me chortle anyway.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

If you have gone to the bother of preprinting phrases on your slate you can agree signs for them with your buddy and then you dont need the slate.. That's the beauty of diving with the same buddy a lot. I never use a slate and never really think i need to write something down. usually a bit of hammed up miming gets the message across.
jules

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

If you're into fish and critters, one useful phrase I have on my slate is: What is it? I've never managed to work out a sign for that, Jules!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Nov. 21 2003,10:57)]If you're into fish and critters, one useful phrase I have on my slate is: What is it? I've never managed to work out a sign for that, Jules!
What you don't use the universal "What the f*** is that"

Point at whatever and then put both arms out in front of you, palms upwards and shrug the shoulders  

Can also be used for "I have not got a clue what you are on about"

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

"Oh f**k!" is useful on any number of occasions...

Quite often, I wonder if a prompt along these lines would be useful:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I can't understand all the waving arms and weird hand gestures you've been trying to use to communicate with me. Please write what you're trying to say:
..........................................................................................

..........................................................................................

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Of course, if you had a FFM like me, you can just shout the question.  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Of course, if you had an FFM, you'd want a slate that says "I don't care if you ARE trained to go for a long hosed primary - give me back my FFM before I drown, you bastard!"

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 21 2003,12:06)]Point at whatever and then put both arms out in front of you, palms upwards and shrug the shoulders  

Daz
Not specific enough, I'm afraid. It could mean anything from "Does it bite/sting?" to "Shall we take it home for Lou's dinner?"  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

The main reason I dive is to get away from talking/comunicating, so do you have a short cut for "SHUT THE F*CK UP AND DIVE"

Matt

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>When it comes to underwater communication just go for a dive with the experts - Gavin and Fiona Yates.

Just wait for the sound of Fiona's rattle then sit back for a masterclass in communication clarity. But don't get too near!

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 21 2003,11:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Nov. 21 2003,10:57)]If you're into fish and critters, one useful phrase I have on my slate is: What is it? I've never managed to work out a sign for that, Jules!
What you don't use the universal "What the f*** is that"

Point at whatever and then put both arms out in front of you, palms upwards and shrug the shoulders  

Daz
yep that the sign i use, for WTF is that? or what the hell you on about? or general I dunno ? He always knows what i mean.

jules

daz you are looking even more like Ewan McGregor Now!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Nov. 21 2003,14:53)]The main reason I dive is to get away from talking/comunicating, so do you have a short cut for "SHUT THE F*CK UP AND DIVE"

Matt
Yes there is one,  arms out in front of you.  Grab them round the neck and shake vigorously.

Hope that helps,
Daz  

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

Not really to do with slates, but when me & the missus dive, especially on holiday bimbles, we often don't have a real 'leader' on the dive.

A useful signal we've found is a shrug of the shoulders at the start and end of a *genuine* question. So if I did <shrug> <thumb up> <shrug> it means "Shall we go up" , and she can respond with either an ok followed by a thumbs up, or a no (shake of the finger). As it's a *genuine* question, I will do what she says. If I do a thumbs up no shrugs, then it's an order, and she has no choice.

I know it sounds complicated wirtten down, but it's much easier underwater. I've also used it to good effect with a few people in my club.

Laters,
   Janos

·
Registered
124 Posts
Imported post

I find that shouting through the mouth piece tends to work. Very important to remember this if cursing whilst leading divers as I've been a bit too vocal on a few occasions.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

you can hear me swear at 30m through my reg....

Digger showed me a novel sign for cold.....point both index fingers and hold them pointing out over your boobs. Graphic but useable..!
I used to work with kids loads (for my sins) and we developed signs for when kids were playing up, so we could sort things out without the little twastards (cross between a twa* and a b*stard) knowing.  Miserable was a good one, open hand  (palm to you) drawn away from the face with the finger tips coming together.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Imported post

LOL!

OK, that worked well!  

I'm goin' to do it anyway, so stuff the lot of ya!!!

There's going to be this one "  
" and this one "  
" and this one "
".

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

One guy l regularly buddy is a keen fisherman and knows what all the different fish are, whereas l don't, so if l point to a fish and its a Bass he acts like hes drinking a pint, it its a Cod he acts like he's eating fish and chips and if its a Pollock he grabs his *ollocks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts