YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend an idiot proof smart phone?

I want to be able to run GPS, dive planning apps, office mobile and make calls.

I was condidering a PDA as its only really for diving trips but a Smart phone would make more sense as it would limit the amount of S#ite I take onto a boat.

I don't really favour one brand over another except I will be enquiring about an XDA off 02 as I am mid way through my contract with them and I need to alter it anyway.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I have a Nokia E50 which gives me E-mail access, Sat-Nav (when you buy the GPS receiver), Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and a bunch of other features.

I don't know if it runs dive plan software as I haven't tried it for that. It's a good phone but the only criticsm is that powerpoint presentations can be difficult to read due to the screen size.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I've got the Nokia N95.
It has toys on its toys (Web, Mail, Video calling (beam me up Scotty), GPS, WiFi, Gbytes of storage, more pixels than my camera, MP3 and video playback) but it eats battery if you use the features so I tend not to bother.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
...but it eats battery if you use the features so I tend not to bother.
I think that's a very common theme. As soon as you use something "useful" then you have to plug the thing into a charger, which sort of defeats the object of the excercise.

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
MDA Compact III CoPilot

- GPS
- Office
- Internet (although only GPRS :()
- miniSD card for storage (currently use 2Gb card)
- Camera (bit crap actually!)
- Windows Mobile 5 so runs pretty much everything
- Bluetooth
- all the usual drivel actually...

Got a nice little bit of software so I can press a button and say, call Woz (as he was the last poster) on Mobile, or at Work and it does it, clever stuff. Can also voice control media player too which is a good 5 minutes of fun, then nothing more :D

Will usually do a day with lots of calls, although when you're using GPS you'll obviously need to plug it in to a charger.

Lloyd

·
getting forgetful in my old age
193 Posts
I have an o2 xda orbit

built in gps plus all the other gubbins I dont use copilot i bought the tomtom software for it, and I love it, but gps will kill the batteries (4-5 hours without being plugged in)

The only thing about the pda's is that they are simply not as good at using as a phone (ironic really) as a not so smart phone :) but I dont make or receive a lot of calls and when you have the voicetags set up or are using bluetooth (the majority of my calls) then it is pretty fab.

John R

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I wouldn't have anything other than Windows Mobile now. I got it, used it, and now i've got so used to having my applications with me (mainly vPlanner and Memory Map (OS maps, marine charts, etc with GPS positioning) that I could never go back to anything else.

David

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
i have an HTC universal (mda pro/spv m5000/ xda pro, etc,etc)

its very powerfull and so usefull but its like a brick and the call quality is a bit dissapointing.
Yep, that what I have.

Goes under lots of names, just search for HTC Hermes or Tytn (same thing)

Got all the toys and small enough (for a PDA) to carry about in it's pouch. It's a windows mobile device too. So, loads can be added on, and of course takes memory cards (micro SD).

My reception is good - I suppose it depends on which provider you use and where you are calling from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.