• Dont dive in the UK so its irrelevant

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Ok . there are a couple of threads running on this at the moment but it would be useful to gat a bit of a idea on opinions here.

This applies to UK diving only. so no need for any cross border arguments  

question;

Do you believe that there is a need for a standardised system for signalling to surface cover that there is an emergency during a dive?

If so what do you believe should be that system

Regards

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>For any diving where you incur a decompression obligation then it is a fundemantal concept that you agree on your emergency/backup procedure. If you are trained (which you should be to even contemplate this sort of diving) then this should be covered as part of your training and in my experience red is the normal marker and yellow signals an emergency to mobilise safety diver. I for one would be really unlikely to undertake "tech" diving with a stranger and in any case I would clarify this procedure and bail out for each dive.
Apart from good practice my biggest fear is that everyone and his mate will now be jumping on the bandwagon as it looks cool and we will be flooded with "yellow blob" mania that should be dealt with by normal recreational OOA techniques.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

Oh no, everyone will want to look cool like techies!  

'For any diving where you incur a decompression obligation' - that will be every dive then...

TDI say yellow - normal, red - emergency, agree with surface support.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've ticked the "anything with help on it" option, as if I saw that at any site, anywhere, I'd be kit on as soon as I could, or trying to get something sorted as soon as.

If someone told me their SMB emergency was yellow, I'd do what they ask, or if the skipper on a boat specifies it, I'd follow their instructions. The skipper is God on his boat, I was taught that way. You do what he says, and ask why in the pub later. Especially in the case of an emergency.

That said, I'll be briefing skippers on my yellow SMB protocol from now on if that's the way I'm diving. I've always told them before if I'm going to use an emergency signal, and there's never been a problem.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I vote yellow
the reson being from a distance easy recognition, any other with help on it might not be so easy to spot a problem from a distance.
However any system whould have to be standard like the divers "A" Flag we all know what that means

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I don't think that agreeing a colour system with your buddy is to important - it's the Skipper who needs to know.  

I think any two blobs on one line s/b enough BUT I will vote red with yellow for OOA as that is what will be getting.

I don't think there is really any need for a national system. Recreational divers (no deco?) are unlikely to be in a situation where they can't surface with unfinished deco obligations so they get to use whatever colour SMB they want.

Anyone else - tell the skipper.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>The system I run is.........

Normal SMB - RED, if a problem occurs I send my yellow CO2 one up the same reel line and it joins my existing red one.

Yellow one says 'HELP'

Juz

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I was always given to understand, certainly if tech diving comes into play, that a yellow DSMB meant send down some more deco gas and a red/orange DSMB showed where you are.

Whether the DSMB says 'help' or not is another issue, technically you could be carrying a yellow for more deco gas, a red/orange with help if you are not on deco but need assistance and a standard red/orange to show your position.

From a personal point of view I would rather see the standard red/orange DSMB adopted for showing your location and then a yellow one for emergencies be it needed more deco gas or needing an ambulance - the yellow means there is something wrong.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I've voted yellow, but looking at some of the other posts I'm thinking maybe two blobs on the same line.

My yellow blob is my backup, and i would use it if i had a problem with my primary(orange).

Wouldnt want to scare everbody into thinking I had an emergency.
Need to have a think about it.

Stu.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Juz ......... NO NO NO

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Normal SMB - RED, if a problem occurs I send my yellow CO2 one up the same reel line and it joins my existing red one.

Yellow one says 'HELP'

Juz

And when you have a tight line , it looks as if you are given me the   V   sign, and ya know what that means  

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>erhhh Juz, my son  , it means that you are a very rude boy.

and the only thing ya be getting

is the power of some juicy prop wash  

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>in that case, I'll take a goody bag of dirty boxers and some persil, save me doing the washing when I get home!

Cheers Andy!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Red= OK    Yellow= Help

If I get on the boat and tell the skipper I am doing deco and will send up a yellow blob for emergnacy send gas signal, I would be realy pissed off if two ot three of the other divers were using yellow SMBS as standard and ended up with my drop tank being sent down to them.

It is simple and it works dont screw it up.

Yellow blobs are NOT back up blobs. I have two red blobs one gas filled and one normal the yellow one is very small and is CO2 powered and not realy the sort of thing you would like to come up on its a signal nothing more.

Why sould you care what colour you SMB is? Just get a red one and dont spoil the system.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>mark,
in a nutshell,
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Mark has hit the issue bang on. Its all very well saying no problem for recreational divers (like myself most of the time at the moment) to have a yellow blob but it is a problem if it means the skipper won't be able to recognise the signal from a deco diver in trouble because there's another yellow blob being used as a primary.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

Why sould you care what colour you SMB is? Just get a red one and dont spoil the system.

Mark......I think this is the problem...there is no definate 'system' to spoil. The training agencies need to set a standard and let all us divers know what it is.....then I can get rid of my betamax video.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts