YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me old-fashioned, call anti-smoking but can anyone convince me that divers do not increase their risk of problems by smoking both immediatley pre-dive and then gasping for one as soon as they come out of the water.

There is much made of the issues and problems of alcohol and diving, so why is it that the same emphasis is not made in relation to smoking and diving.

I never cease to be amazed at the number of divers puffing away at dive sites.

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
It has to be pre and post dive, cos they're bloody hard to light in the middle!

Chris

:)

Reactions: Finless and 608316

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Funnily enough I tried once in a pool with a large bin bag, but it didn't work out!

Chris

:)

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
So?

I've never smoked so perhaps it's none of my business but if somebody knows the risks and decides they want to do it that's fair. You've got to die of something. It's not like giving up and eating your five portions of fruit and veg a day makes you immortal.

My grandfather got gassed in the first world war and was, we believe, shell-shocked out of his head. Absolutely nothing worried him. There was no problem in the world he could not ignore. He finally smoked himself to death (gangrene in the feet) at 93. Worrying about smoking is probably worse for you than smoking.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Genral overall fitness is more the issue and yes some smokers are fit and active, I count myself amongst these. Alcahol effects judgment, smoking doesnt. The issue with smoking is that corben monoxide jumps aboard heamoglobin more readily than oxygen therefore this can lead to poor oxygen transfer around the body. But then you can clog up with Co whilst driving in heavy traffic to the dive site, the exhaust fumes from the dive boat...etc... yes ok this isnt as concentrated a dose a having a ciggie but as a smoker I passed the HSE medical with flying colours as I keep in good shape.

I dont reccomend to anyone that smoking is big or clever but I have never known it lead directly to a problem with the smokers I know within the diving community... oh yes..BTW.. one of those people is a doctor!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi scubee - apologies - as a I am sure the topic has been well discussed. As a new member I am just looking for general opinion. Cheers. Rob

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Hi scubee - apologies - as a I am sure the topic has been well discussed. As a new member I am just looking for general opinion. Cheers. Rob
No apology needed. If you have a search, you'll find it comes up here regularly although sometimes the threads deteriorate to gutter level. :D

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Call me old-fashioned, call anti-smoking but can anyone convince me that divers do not increase their risk of problems by smoking both immediatley pre-dive and then gasping for one as soon as they come out of the water.

There is much made of the issues and problems of alcohol and diving, so why is it that the same emphasis is not made in relation to smoking and diving.

And so what if they're smoking surely as adults they can do what they want preferably without some holier than thou prick wining

·
Registered
244 Posts

Mmmmm!...have smoked at least twenty or so a day for twenty eight years..have done the London marathon twice in the last four years...do three five mile runs a week...pass the HSE medical every year with flying colours...never suffered any adverse effects during my twenty plus years of diving..dont know what all the fuss is about:spliff: ...They will be telling us that foods soaked in fat are no good for us next!

Paul.

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
No apology needed. If you have a search, you'll find it comes up here regularly although sometimes the threads deteriorate to gutter level. :D
We are talking about smoking ciggys and not smoking blokes??

Chris

:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No more so than you with a comment to a new member about being a holier than thou prick whining. Every other response has been constructive and informative. Pity you don't subcribe to the same philosophy. You certainly don't encourage new members.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
No more so than you with a comment to a new member about being a holier than thou prick whining. Every other response has been constructive and informative. Pity you don't subcribe to the same philosophy. You certainly don't encourage new members.
Please excuse my friend Sparky he isnt normally aggressive to new members I can only think its because he has such a bad hangover. I am sure you will have noticed by the amount of red's you have received that the issue of smoking is a very emotive subject and may I suggest possibly not the best one to start as a newcomer on this forum.

Regulars on this forum are aware of my views of smoking (they say an ex smoker is the worse) :) but I would much prefer to dive with a smoker then a drinker.

Sit back and chill a while and see how this forum works.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Please excuse my friend Sparky he isnt normally aggressive to new members I can only think its because he has such a bad hangover. I am sure you will have noticed by the amount of red's you have received that the issue of smoking is a very emotive subject and may I suggest possibly not the best one to start as a newcomer on this forum.

Regulars on this forum are aware of my views of smoking (they say an ex smoker is the worse) :) but I would much prefer to dive with a smoker then a drinker.

Sit back and chill a while and see how this forum works.
:embarassed:
Yes sorry Rob :embarassed: but if you don't smoke why would it worry you what others do and your post did seem holier than thou to me

Reactions: yazzyfooty

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
The problem is, that as a newcomer, he may not be aware of the little faubles of YD.

Sparky ought to take a chill pill to get over his hangover :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts