YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching sea hunters on sky and noticed the documentary about the wreck of sms dresden and thought it was at Scapa flow, I googled it and the information told me that there was also a sms dresden in chile, I didnt think that two warships from germany would have the same name.
question is i thought ships had unique name

·
Registered
156 Posts
Might be wrong but I'm from memory I'm pretty sure there was a naval engagement around the Falklands in WW1 during which the Dresden was sunk by the Royal Navy. I think the Scapa Dresden is always refered to as Dresden II :)

·
Strangford Exile
123 Posts
Think you are right, as the Coln in Scapa is also the Coln II after the first one was sunk at the battle of heligoland. Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
yep
the Dresden was a late 1800s armoured cruiser that was very antiquated by the first world war and was sunk off Chile by the RN.
The Dresden II was the first of a new class of light cruiser that was state of the art in 1916 and was scuttled along with the rest of the fleet in 1919.
As nameship of the Dresden class she carries a shield shaped crest on the bow which is still visible on the wreck today.

Hazel

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts