YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Snorkelling seems to be the big "in thing" with training agencies at the moment, you can even become an advanced snorkel instructor with various knobs on.

O.K, I can see the attraction in warm waters where there are nice fishies etc, but in the UK? Do people really go out on a dive boat and spend their time snorkelling, or do most people train and only use it abroad?

Personally, my snorkel only ever comes out of my garage when I am teaching in the pool (and then only for observing other/assist instructors).

Would be interested to see what people think on this one

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul

I started snorklig aged 6 and havent stoped since. It got me into diving. When I was 14 I could hold my breath for two mins and do 75m under water. I used to hunt for crabs on the Cornish coast with my dad who was (and is) a keen snorkler now aged 69.

I taught my wife to Snorkal on the Silly Isles and Gernsea and then edged her into diving. That was in 2000 and She is now no AOW and has 40 odd dives. (dosent like the UK cold stuff.)

Lost mask, flooded mask, oral regulator purging, reg swaping, finning and generaral in water confidence are all things I lernt with snorkling.

I may have trimix and a twin set now but I look back with great fondness to crab hunting on the Cornish coast

Thanks for sparking off the memory

All the best

Mark Chase

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

My boy aged 7 is an ace snorkeler, just hop in the mater with a pony and he comes in to play with a snorkel.

You can't beat it

Andrew

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I've seen some ridiculous hats in my time,  but that really takes the biscuit :lol:

Anyone know who the guy at Stoney is who wears the tigger hat

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

When I was at Wraysbury on 1 Jan this year, there were a bunch of freedivers there.

What a bunch of nutters... 5 degrees in a wetsuit!

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

I'm one of those people mad enough to freedive in cold water!! I've a 7mm picasso suit (which is yamamoto neoprene, so very stretchy) which is zipless and coated with an inside of gold ceramic, so it's really warm and fits really well - put it this way - I've freedived in Wastwater in December with snow on the ground and water temp of 3degC and was in the water for a good 2 or so hours, and off the North Coast of Scotland in February with a water temp of 5degC for about 4 hours.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]was in the water for a good 2 or so hours
<span =''>
You can hold your breath for two hours? Wow! :cheering:

How come they don't make hoods for divers out of this gold stuff?

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

I'm not sure - it would definitely be warmer. I have used the picasso suit for normal diving once or twice and it was really good. It's got an in-built hood (it's a top half which you pull over and with long-john trousers).

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Snorkelling can be something to do during surface intervals in this country, done it a few times, also handy if you're doing a dive trip "a la bsac club sty-lee", that is surface cover and two "waves of divers", as surface cover you can pootle around on the surface snorkelling to keep an eye on the divers.
Chee-az
Steve

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Don't use mine very often but always have it in my knife strap. The only 3 times i can remember using it are:-

1. Off Kenya when just after getting in the boat a whale shark swam up to the side of it and we jumped in after it with snorkels. Fantastic.

2. Weymouth last year i had just passed my kit into the Rib when the Dolphin joined me so i had a snorkel with him. Bonus.

3. On a dive out of Dover last year 2 surfacing divers said they thought one diver of the 2 pairs on the shot at 6m had a minor problem so i monitered from the surface with me snorkel.

Regards

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts