Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I think that covers all options.

So... let the Holy Wars begin

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

You missed the 'only good for snorkelling' category, but in diving they are pointless, and of course prevent adequate deployment of the long hose.

But if you can cope with the noise of me laughing at you all through the dive....

WL

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Ok, so my "stowed away" might sometimes be in the dive box and sometimes in my pocket but I guess it's close enough!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You missed the 'only good for snorkelling' category
Ahh, but the subject is "Snorkels, Use in SCUBA"

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hmmm... I fall into the "will take one if I think it'll be useful ie for a longish surface-swim but don't always/often carry one" category.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I never take one on any UK dives, not even in my bag. I always take one where there could be some dolphin action though (e.g. Red Sea, Canaries etc..). But it would only be dragged out of the dive bag for surface use, not taken on dives.

Mark.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I agree with Mark, only take one on holiday and only for snorkelling the type with a drain valve - never on a dive.

Fiona
BSAC Snorkel Instructor

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Option three. Can't remember the last time I donned a snorkel - err.....yes I can, Novemeber, 2001, Tiran Straits, Jackson Reef, Dolphins. In with my dive kit (blue water), but never worn, except, as Mark said above, when there are dolphins or Pilot Whales with which to swim.

The above said, I do understand the sense and see the sanity and 'good practise' of newbies and novices learning with one: and Stevie Walker's point about coming in handy for long surface swims or in rough/choppy surface conditions.

With above in mind, it's then up to the individual to either retain or ditch the snorkel as they see fit/comfortable.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Always take a snorkel myself, Ive run out of air in my tank while ive been waiting for the boat to pick me up a few times..
makes a hell of a diffrence to a great dive and blowing bubbles for 10 mins or so
steve

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

If the boat misses you and the sea starts to get rough you'll wish you took one. I had mine.

Stu.
BSAC Snorkel Instructor.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I always try take a snorkel, but keep loosing them -allready lost two this season! Yesterday I didn't take one and wish I had for the long surface swim back to the boat. For some reason I dislike breathing through my regs on the surface, makes me feel at times nausiated.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

From memory, PADI are big on the retention of your snorkel - that is to say positioning it to the left of your mask whilst diving, whether you intend to use it or not.

When I used to dive with a snorkel, way back when, I found that it got in the way more often than not and so I used to stow/fix it behind the straps of my dive knife, which I always strapped to my inner left (being right-handed for quick deployment should the need arise) calf - neatly stowed away and so positioned so as not to get caught on anything.

For those divers who still want to carry a snorkel, yet find it's a pain in the Ronson when attached to your mask.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>From what I remember you will not have to have a snorkel for the Rescue diver course. It may vary from instructor to instructor but I doubt you get a slap on the wrist if you don't have one. I remember on the Open Water though you had to have a snorkel and attached to the mask strap. On some places (maybe more in the US) where they take the PADI manual as a'bible' they may insist on the snorkel, otherwise if you use one you should be able to get away.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Yes,

You WILL need a snorkel for the PADI Rescue Diver course, as one of the methods of YOU breathing FOR an in-water 'patient' (unconscious at the surface etc.) is to use the snorkel as an alternative and secure breathing mechanism - pinching the nose, closing your hands around the snorkel's mouth-piece whilst it's in the 'victim's' mouth etc.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I used to have one all the time but it did get in the way. To be honist I used it to surface swim to the drop point and surface swim back to the boat as I noticed these sometimes strenuas bits of the dive used  / wasted valuble back gas. On a single 12 dive that could cost on bottom time and safety. On twins I usualy have shed loads so it dosent matter.

Changing to the wing ment it was more comfortable swiming on my back so the snorkal became redundant.

There is a good argument for the lost at sea diver. Your tank will empty at some point then its down to normal breathing. That can be dammed uncomfortable in a BCD that tips you forward all the time. Laying face down and breathing through a snorkal can be a damed good way to avoid exaustion / drowning.

I dont take one any more because the good ones dont fold up and they take up valuble space. I carrey an EPIRB when sea diving so I dont worry too much about being lost at sea for long periods.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>In my case I was taught the theory but never used it in practice.  I don't know if this was a mistake or against regulations on the instructors part or not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You WILL need a snorkel for the PADI Rescue Diver course, as one of the methods of YOU breathing FOR an in-water 'patient' (nconscious at the surface etc.) is to use the snorkel as an alternative and secure breathing mechanism - pinching the nose, closing your hands around the snorkel's mouth-piece whilst it's in the 'victim's' mouth etc

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

Thats one aspect of the rescue diver syllabus that really annoyed me. Anyone who has ever had to rescue someone in shitty sea states, or infact anyone who knows anything about first aid, must realise how utterly ridiculous it is tring to give av through a snorkel. Makes me mad.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts