YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought id ask the masterminds of YD:teeth:
How long are you supposed to wait after diving before you could go riding a mountain as i dont think you allow the same time as flying because your nowhere near as high,
and how long after been high on a mountain can you go down under the ocean
the mountain im talking about is 6000 feet above sea level

i ask this because im in too nice of a place within 30mins of the mountain top
and within 30 minutes of dive sites so depending on the weather i have choice aswell as oppurtunity to surf too:wink:

·
Go Big or Go Home
1,865 Posts
its the law that you cant mix ya sports in the same week so plan ahead and check ya e mail.Did you get that flashy torch yet?

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
motatoad said:
i ask this because im in too nice of a place within 30mins of the mountain top
and within 30 minutes of dive sites so depending on the weather i have choice aswell as oppurtunity to surf too:wink:
Wow. Cool. Where in West Yorkshire is this?? :)

The answer to your question depends on which tables or computer algorithm you use. The USN tables have a "how high can you go for a given finishing group" table. BSAC 88s also allow this calculation.

Computer manufacturers usually state 12 hrs.

GUE think its pretty much a non-issue.

DAN are spending thousands researching it.

Take your pick which you want to believe. Where's the nearest pot? How "clean" is your deco? How good is your DCI diagnosis - esp. if you hurt yourself boarding?

Don't expect a straight answer.

Chris

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
motatoad said:
How long are you supposed to wait after diving before you could go riding a mountain as i dont think you allow the same time as flying because your nowhere near as high,
and how long after been high on a mountain can you go down under the ocean
the mountain im talking about is 6000 feet above sea level
Well, your right that you are not as high up a mountain as you will be in a plane, but that's not quite the issue. The issue as you know is to do with pressure - the higher your go, the less atmospheric pressure you experience.

But here is the cruncher... when in a commercial plane, the aircraft is actually pressurised. It isn't pressurised to ground pressure (about 1,000mb) but it is pressurised above the actual pressure of the atmosphere at that level. Someone will be able to tell you what they are pressurised to, but my guess would be to something like the pressure you experience up a mountain!

If it were me, I would use the same guidelines for going up a mountain as I would for flying.

DAN said:
* For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
* For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.
* For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent.
HTH

·
Registered
254 Posts
From what I remember, and it's a bit hazy this time on a Saturday night, a modern Jet is pressurised to about 6000 to 8000 feet.

ATB

Paul

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Sometimes higher, depends on how high the aircraft has to fly. It is all to do with pressure differentials between the inside of the airframe and the outside.

Some blah for you to read

Regards

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I'd go pretty much with Chris's answer - depends on which tables you use.

In general, *personally*, i'd leave it til the next day - if I dive one day, I wouldn't go back up a mountain til the next day.

However, with everything it's a question of degrees - if you're using nitrox but doing deco as for air, or if you're getting nowhere near deco limits, or you're only doing a 6m bimble, then you could probably get away with doing both in the same day.

Unfortunately only you can decide how conservative you want to be, and if you dive using a computer (like most of us) then that'll probably be of no use at all - my Vyper certainly has absolutely no idea about altitude or anything. But in absence of any other guidance, the next day (18-24 hours) should be fine on pretty much any profile on any table.

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Scuby how about doing it the other way round snowboard in the morning and dive in the afternoon that way you should have no problems as you are going from low to high pressures just be aware high altitudes can dehydrate you.

Have a good one and stay safe:teeth:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I climbed Mt Sinai at night

I gave it about 12 hours after diving (on Nitrox 32) before going up Mt Sinai and felt no ill effects at all. Had the hill in two and a half hours, not bad for a knackered old sod! :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep ive climbed mount sinai too
no wander moses started illucinating and seeing burning bushes after climbing those 3500 bloddy steps, quite a hike am tellin tha

·
Resident bibliophile
129 Posts
Altitude after Diving

I thought id ask the masterminds of YD
Pretty new here but mind if I add my $0.02?

How long are you supposed to wait after diving before you could go riding a mountain as i dont think you allow the same time as flying because your nowhere near as high, and how long after been high on a mountain can you go down under the ocean the mountain im talking about is 6000 feet above sea level
This is a page of notes I keep for my own reference. You may find the images (though fuzzy) of interest. The ref's on the image will allow you to get the clear shots.

These tables were formulated as a part of the Divers Alert Network: Flying After Diving Study

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hawaii divers deal with this all the time

This is a common issue on the island of Hawaii where Hilo residents do dives on the Kona side and wish to cross the island back to the Hilo side on the same day. The road crosses a mountain pass that rises to 6,000+ feet. The general consensus among Hilo divers is to stay overnight in Kona whenever possible after a day of diving. When it is not possible, they tend to limit their diving to morning only and to wait 12 hours before beginning the climb up the mountain road.

The issue is complicated by the fact that going up a mountain is not exactly the same as taking off in an airplane. The relatively gradual ascent in driving up a mountain should theoretically be less problematic in terms of bubble formation than the sudden change in altitude that occurs when a plane lifts off the ground.

I have been told that it is okay to ascend to altitude gradually (cross a hill, not necessarily go parasailing) if the ascent is 2000 ft or less two hours after the dive. But your snowboarding altitude is likely to be higher.

Based on my understanding of the possible risks, last month after completing a business trip to the west coast of the USA, I chose to go skiing at Lake Tahoe, CA before going back down the mountain for some dives in Monterey Bay rather than doing it the other way around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts