YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Just took a photography course with famous national geographic photographer Flip Nicklin (takes lots of whale shots, underwater pics of humpbacks, is a free diver) out here in Bermuda. Loads of fun. Learn a lot.

He is going to send me his old Nikon F4 with underwater housing for free as long I pay for shipping!!

How cool is that?

It's cos I rock you know!

Sorry to boast - but I just couldn't contain myself.

Lisa

Here's a pic of all of us who did the course. Flip is on the far left - and I am in the middle... sticking my feet out.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Nice one, was in Bermuda myself in '93 lovely island, had a great time with a dozen or so mates. Rum cocktails at some bar near the airport, police that try to arrest you for riding a m/bike with no t-shirt & a beach called "John Smiths" Beer. And of course nice weather, shame about the beer prices, it was £3.50 for a Grolsch 10 years ago!!

gareth

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Lisa,

Congrats! Nice piece of kit (the camera!). And you do suffer for your art over there, don't you: the weather there looks truly abysmal!  
 The rain obviously prompting you to don sunglasses.

Hope you're gonna share some of your final products with us when you get round to it? And how about a dive report or three from your neck of the woods? I'm guessing, but I don't think too many YD'ers have been to/dived in Bermuda with its 4,000 wrecks?!

Snap away, that woman, and scribe aplenty of your experiences: an eager and ready audience await your endeavours!

Take care and have fun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Cheers Bren

I am actually thinking about getting an EOS 10D (if I can find the money under the sofa??) or the new Sony  DSC F828. Not sure yet. Don't even want to think about getting housings for either of them... a housing for the 10D will probably be more than the camera, and there probably isn't going to be a housing for the Sony for a while...??

So I'll be sticking with my old DSC P1 - in a marine pack and the Nikon when I get it in the post...

Anyway - have been thinking about cameras a lot lately.

I am getting excited already about the humpbacks which migrate past here in the spring. Husband and I are planning on getting ocean kyacks (ocean kyack "drifter") and kyacking out to see them go by on the south shore next yeat, in addition to beginning our new kyacking diving adventures. Many wrecks and dive sites are too far to snorkel out to (OMG! I mentioned snorkelling!!) but not far enough away to warrant investing in a boat and mooring.

But - still, money is an issue. I have still got to buy everyone's X-mas presents first!! Ugh!

My dream for next year, is having cameras galore out on the south shore and me and hubbie in a kyack with all our dive gear, and a humpback female and calf coming right up to inspect us and us getting in the water, them not minding our bubbles too much (doubtful I know) and getting best shots ever!

Hmmmmmmm - well I said it was dream didn't I?

So, yes, wrecks in Bermuda. There might be thousands of them but most of them are just piles of rubble, or metal and not much to look at. We only have a few wrecks you can penetrate. However, saying that - some of the wrecks are still pretty awsome. I will do my best to take more photos and write up some stories.

Water is pretty cold now though... 70F don't laugh, that is cold by our standards. Only have a 3mm shortie that fits me, and am thinking of investing in a dry suit (for the first time ever!) so I can make the most of the good vis during the winter. We have a lot of dry suit divers out here, cos in Jan- Feb the water can be in the low 60s.

I might be asking advice on dry suits on YD soon

Not taken any underwater pics of late. Have been keeping dry. Full tanks in my office have stood there for 2 months!

The closest I have been to diving lately is a swim in a heated pool. Not much to take pictures of in there!

I know you are all laughing at me being in Bermuda an all, but plans for going diving lately, have just kept getting put aside.

Sorry for long rant...  

Lisa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts